ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'02 1.2 16v cutting out / not starting HELP

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Had to go rescue my sister tonight (no pics) as her car was playing up. Was stuttering on her then cut out, then would start briefly but then just die.

I did the dashboard fault check and got 't' which translates to 'an injection fault has been detected for a minimum of 4 seconds'
I reset this and the car started and ran ok, although seemed to be idleing a little low according to the rev counter but engine didn't sound like it was struggling. Exhaust fumes were pretty rich and for about half a mile was smoking a little from the exhaust but then cleared up and was ok.

The car does Derby to Leicester every day so it gets a good decent run out, serviced etc.

I've told her to get it into a garage for a proper diagnostic but was hoping I might be able to give her some info to help them on their way with it.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
I would have a look at the throttle body. Other half's old car used to start to 'cough' when stopping at roundabouts (even after good drive) and then stall. Once TB was removed, cleaned and reseated, it sorted itself. I would do that in first instance. :)

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
This happened to mine after purchase (typical!). Had the throttle body replaced and it fixed it temporarily. It has reoccured again since, although not as severely.

I've changed the following:
TDC Sensor
Coil Pack
Spark Plugs

None of the above fixed the issue. Every now and then the weird electrical fault icon will light up when the ignition is switched on (heartbeat monitor looking thing). DON'T turn the engine over if this happens, the problem only gets worse (cutting out etc). Fiddle with the wires/plugs leading to the ECU and re-try. This works for me. Turns out it is a dodgy wiring loom. Expesnive fix apparently, not worth it IMO.