ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16V Issues - Any Ideas? (Sorry for long post)

07 Campus Sport
Hi guys, got a bit of a weird issue with my Clio right now.
It's an 07 1.2 16v Campus.
So, it all started when I was in 4th gear at a high rpm (around 5ish). After this it did not want to go up anymore revs and the check engine light started flashing at me. Pulled over and gave it a look over, nothing wrong. Went again, tested it but rather than staying in 4th, I went up to 5th, no issues. Thought it was strange.

-I read the codes, came up with "Cylinder 3 misfire", also had one for "Misfire Detected with Low Fuel", cleared them and took it on a test run. Flashing Engine light came on again, read codes again, however this time it was only "Cylinder 3 misfire". (btw coil pack is around 2 months old, and spark plugs are less than a week old. Oil and coolant have also been flushed and changed in the previous week).

Service info:
-- Mileage: 101,xxx
--Oil Filter, Oil, Coolant - One week old
-- Spark Plugs, Less than a week old
-- Coil Pack - Around 2 months old
-- Timing belt - 87k

Revs:
-On start-up it seems to shake quite a bit, but then smoothens out after I've stopped holding the key forwards.
- On idle it seems to be running at around 750 revs and is seems to "tick", not too loud, but defo noticeable. Would say there is little to no engine movement compared to the movement when there is a proper misfire.
- In very high revs/rev limiter, rather than doing the usually loud "womp womp" it does, it would sputter, with a much quieter "womp womp".
-Feels a lot slower than it usually would, and struggles to get up speed a lot more than it usually does.

Combustion/induction/fuel/idk:
-The car does not overheat, Can be running for like an hour and driven, will never exceed the normal running temp (four bars)
-Induction noise level seems to be higher
-Car managed to drink through 3/4 of a tank within 2 days.
-Mate recommended me some injector cleaner to run through the petrol system, didn't make much of a difference tbh, apart from the MPG improving quite a bit.

Other Info:
-Today car has been producing quite a lot of white smoke from the exhaust (but I am fairly certain that it is just because of the fact it's been raining and that it's quite cold today)
-Oil cap has white residue on it, but I believe this is from short journeys and the cold damp weather. The coolant cap is clear as days, as it the Oil Dipstick, and the coolant does not seem to have any strange smells (as far as my panicked self can smell, but someone else may think different).

Last night, the engine light started flashing again, but this time it was at around 30-40 mph lol. However, a new issue was introduced. After doing some test runs, a loud "whining" noise appears, which sounds sort of like a supercharger lol. This noise happens at around 4-5k revs and will carry on through (Will cut out for a few hundred milliseconds and then come back). It does this at every gear (have only tried 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, not sure if 4 and 5 do it as I haven't tried and don't really want to lol).

Again, apologies for the long post, just trying to get to the bottom of it.
Tried to explain it as best as I can. Thanks a lot guys.

For any extra information, or any videos/pictures, just ask and I will try my best to provide them. Thanks!

Clio 3 1.2 Extreme
It is possible plug 3 is broken, cracked or misfiring. I would remove plugs 2 and 3, check plug 3 has no obvious breaks, cracks etc and just compare the color with plug 2. Probably plug 3 may look a bit darker if it is not firing properly. If no obvious faults on plug 3, then swap the plugs round, so you can test and see if the misfire reoccurs and in which cylinder. If still cylinder 3 misfiring then suspect injector.

07 Campus Sport
It is possible plug 3 is broken, cracked or misfiring. I would remove plugs 2 and 3, check plug 3 has no obvious breaks, cracks etc and just compare the color with plug 2. Probably plug 3 may look a bit darker if it is not firing properly. If no obvious faults on plug 3, then swap the plugs round, so you can test and see if the misfire reoccurs and in which cylinder. If still cylinder 3 misfiring then suspect injector.
Will try this tomorrow morning mate, thank you. If this doesn’t do the trick then I will have a look at injectors and test them.

07 Campus Sport
Tried this, plugs 2 and 3 are the same in colour. Misfire still there but I cannot get it to show an engine code, and that has been happening for 2 days now, it will not show a code at all. I need it to so I can read which cylinder is misfiring. Probably injector lol