ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 MK2PH2 > 1.4 8V 5Gtt Engine Project..

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Hi guys, A few people have suggested i made a project thread from my ongoing thread, i didnt really want to as this project thread it gonna be spread over months and months, as i am only 16 and finding money is not the easiest of things, so if there is a long time between minor updates, bear with me.

The car is a Mk2Ph2 1.2 8V 2002 Clio, And im planning to turn it into a 1.4 8V renault 5 gt turbo engine, With fuel injection - beast with about 200 - 230bhp .. Should be good,

Here are some pics of the car...

Image001.gif

Image146.gif

Image020.gif

Image009.gif

Sorry for image quality, i only have access to a 2MP phone camera at the mo but a camera is on its way :).

Here are some of the mods i am going to be doing..

RS Grille,
Colorcode,
Repair bonnet (dad hit a duck doing about 60 in a rush to work in some lanes by a pond around 6am one morning, the dent was huge, managed to pull it out with a bog plunger)
Change rims (there only on there because tyres were running low on standard wheels and we had these with new tyres on in the loft, simples ;))
Clear Repeaters with amber bulbs (Bulbs are on order - should be here soon)
New standard headlights, as mine are all scratched and messed up? :S
Lower 40 - 60mmm, unsure which yet.
Headunit and sound system.
Renault 5 Gtt engine With home made fuel injection and exhaust system, built with a T25 front end/T2 backend.

The list will grow and grow as i get more and more into it,

Decided to add some fog lights when i get some money, but found out from another member on here that i would need to change the stalk so i had the option to turn the front and back foglights together, i went to the scrap yard, found a 04 wrote off 182, dash all intact ect, so took the stalk out and i know the man so he didnt want anything for it, so got home and took my old one out, and put the new one in, heres a couple of pics half way through..

Image018.gif

Image019.gif

So thats now fitted ready to add loom and put the lights in place..

I screwed the splitter back on underneath as it had come off when dad parked it over a HIGH curb. Replaced the hazard light switch as it was faulty, could turn them off, but not turn it off. And repaired the rail mech on the passengers seat, as it would lean forward but not slide forward, so people couldnt get in the back on that side, all sorted now.

Onto the engine side of things..

This is my turbo been mock put together, i havent got a shaft yet, so gonna have to source one of them, then a rebuild kit, then can be sent away for balancing, when it comes back, reassemble and box it up, ready to be bolted onto my new built engine.

Image009.gif

Image135.gif

Ignor the actuator in the second pic, this cannot be used because it puts the outlet pointing in the wrong direction, waiting for a new actuator to be turning up in the post anytime now.

I made a flange for the compressor wheel outlet so i can put a 90 degree samco onto it, instead of using the silly shaped origional pipe that can only go at certain angles, here is a pic of the building and it welded, only just got it back today..

Image137.gif

Image138.gif

Image139.gif

Image147.gif

Image003.gif

Image002.gif

Keys just to hold it in place for the pic..

Image004.gif

Waiting for my dad to bring home some gaskit paper tomorrow and will get it bolted on :),

This is my fuel rail that will need some injector bosses machined ..
Image149.gif

That will be done soon after some more research.

Here is 2 looms merged together, the origional 5gtt loom, and the loom of the F7P engine, this is pretty much ready to be placed onto the engine for fuel injection once built, just need to change some connection ends as some are broke and happy days...

Image000.gif

Should be good fun when its built :)..

Next thing to order will be some clear repeaters for the wings, the bulbs are on the way :).

Nick. :cool:

ValverInBits
Nice project. Not my choice of engine, but makes for a very interesting result car :D
best of luck

Mickb

ClioSport Club Member
  van low and 1.6 16v
looks like an intresting build to watch imo, tho dont think i would have went that way

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
I was going to choose the F7P engine and i still could if i wanted, Its already fuel injected ect, its just the C1J engine is already turbo charged so no machining would need to be done to the pistons to lower compression (like my bro had to) and the chances are nothing is going to give up on it, although the 16V head is much more prefured, Im still trying to decide, i think its going to be the 5gtt engine though :)

320d
Very interesting project. Your going to struggle to insure it at 17 though mate. I'd add uprated brakes to that list aswell if your going to be running big power.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Thanks Brett, i was planning on sticking the 5gtt calipers on there at the minimum, or some brembos or something, i forgot to put it on the list thats all, Thanks for pointing it out, whats everyones views on the F7P engine instead?

Nick.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Dads giving it to me at christmas as my Birthday is 5 days before :) .. But is letting me do what ever work i want on it now :)

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
looks intresting! insurance? also my seat alos doesnt slide forward but tilts! how did you fix this mate?

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Jon, ill take some pics tomorrow night for you when my fathers home from work in it, as its to dark to take pics now, and ill explain tomorrow :)

I would love to do the F7P engine as its modern, but i dont know if it would fit in? :O

106 GTI
wow! thats shocked me

I was expecting to look in here to find some 15 year old geezer rambling on, but no! Your straight in and doing it.

Noticed your getting the engine rebuilt, standard internals or uprated? 200+ bhp on a daily drive surely wouldnt handle that especially being your first car

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
If i stick the EFI C1J engine in there (5GTT) it will handle 200bhp all day every day, my bros did for about 5 years, regular services and aslong as you build it properally, theres no worries, but if i stick the F7P engine in there (1.8 16V turbo) ill have to uprate the internals as its not turbo as standard. I would like to run the F7P engine, as its Fuel injection standard, and 200bhp would be a breeze for it, 200 from the 1.4 is stressing it for every day, but i dont know if the F7P engine will fit in the clio?

yehh the f7p will fit in, similar mounts. people are putting in the f4r out of the 1*2's so i dont see why it cant work both ways.

Petrol Blue 182.
thought about doing this to mine, but herd stories about the reliability! whats the insurance like?

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Not sure on my insurance yet mate, fight that battle when i get there, although my folks will be paying for it for me so im not worried :).

snick01: yes the F7p engine will fit in there ok, but even when its turbo'd?..

I think im going to stick to the 5gtt engine :)
Nick.

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
Jon, ill take some pics tomorrow night for you when my fathers home from work in it, as its to dark to take pics now, and ill explain tomorrow :)

I would love to do the F7P engine as its modern, but i dont know if it would fit in? :O

cheers mate would appreciate that

ValverInBits
F7P would be a straight fit, but it's a big b@stard, and your right in thinking it won't be that fast.
If you could source a EFI C1J, i'd go with that, alternatively an EFI converted C1J would be great. How much power are you expecting the standard block to handle? I don't know what they take...

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
I know someone off rtoc (Renault Turbo Owners Club) that is pulling 270 from his 1.4 8V 5GTT engine ;), but im thinking about 200 day-to-day, Im going to build a EFI C1J myself :), good little project for a 16 year old ;), also, tiny update, my genuine 182 clear Repeaters have arrived 1st thing this morning, just waiting for the bulbs to show up and ill be sticking them in :)..

Image001-1.gif

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Good news, went downstairs today after i woke up (at 1PM :eek:) and found a slim envelope on the stairs with my name on it, wondered what it was, excited, i ripped it open, turned out to be my new bulbs, so i will fit these either today or tomorrow when my old man gets in from work :)

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Heres some pics of my 1st exterior mod - Clear Repeaters with chrome coated (so you cant see them) amber flashing bulbs.

Pics..

Image012.gif

Image011-1.gif

Image010-1.gif

Better or worse? - i think it looks fantastic,

Next on the list is the RS Grille
Then repairing bonnet/color coding
Then Changing Rims,
Then Lowering
Then Head-unit + sound system
Then Engine ;)

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Sorry mate, wont be changing them for a while im affraid, not until i change the engine. And i havent even sourced one to rebuild yet. When the time comes, ill drop you a PM and see if your still intrested :).

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Got one sorted now, payment tomorrow, should be here a few days after depending how he posts it, so i imagen my next propper post on this thread will be showing the before and after pic of it fitted.