ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

17 alloys on mk 2 172

hi all, anyone got pics of a 172 on 17s without it being lowered, want to fit some 17s but dont want it to look to high, cant be bothered with having it lowered coz i dont want it to rub, also been offered some 17s of a guy who has them on a lower spec clio, (not sure which one) will they fit the 172?

cheers

To get the best look you should really lower it, max 30 mm, it will be worth it otherwise you will get the tractor look. There should be no rubbing if you get 17x7s (not 7.5, may cause rubbing) using 205/40/17 tyres.

What does everybody else think?

Astra 1.9cdti XP

You will only get the tractor look if you fit the wrong size tyres. 195/40R17 or 215/35R17 are a better match than the 205/40R17!!

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by jarvisnigel on 06 May 2003

hi all, anyone got pics of a 172 on 17s without it being lowered, want to fit some 17s but dont want it to look to high, cant be bothered with having it lowered coz i dont want it to rub, also been offered some 17s of a guy who has them on a lower spec clio, (not sure which one) will they fit the 172?
cheers

Mine has 17" OZ Super Ts and hasnt been lowered as I dont want any rubbing and I certainly would never cut my wheel arches. I have a lower profile tyre too 205x40x17 and the wheels fit the arches pretty well.

This picture was taken nearly a year ago when I first got the wheels, and since then, it looks as though the suspension sits a wee bit lower, so I am pleased that I decided not to lower it.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1052315242__croppedclio.jpg

iVE GOT 17 " SUPER TURISMOS ON MINE WITH 205/40/17 TYRES. I HAVE RECENTLY DECIDED TO LOWER IT 35 mm CAUSE IT LOOKED REALLY HIGH AND DUMPY FROM SOME ANGLES AND THE HANDLING SUFFERED SLIGHTLY. NOW IT LOOKS LIKE A DIFFERENT CAR WITH THE FLARED ARCHES HUGGING THE WHEELS NICELY AND IT GIVES THE CAR A WIDER SPORTIER STANCE PLUS IT GOES ROUND CORNERS LIKE ON RAILS. OK YOU DO GET A SLIGHT RUBBING WHEN THE CAR JUMPS UP OVER BUMPY ROADS WITH 3 UP, BUT ITS NOTHING TO GET WORRIED ABOUT.

S2 106 Rallye

Im running the same set-up as fred used to have, 60mm drop on 17" SuperLeggeras with Toyo Proxy 1s 205/40R17 with the rear arches rolled (Mines 1.2 16V unlike your 172 which has its rear arches rolled already), and ive got no problems because they are only 7" wide.

Ad

MK2 FRS

Dont forget that the 60mm drop is from a dynamique not a 172. Anyone know the difference between a 172 and a dynamique in hieght?? Clearly the Dyn ist higher but how much???

Quote: Originally posted by geordiepaul on 07 May 2003

195s will be the same as te standard wheel same width wheel and tyre!
The standard wheel is 16x6.5, a half inch less that the 17x7 so 195s will get the \__/ look even more than the 16x6.5(which is a little \__/)

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by RT-ED on 07 May 2003

Quote: Originally posted by geordiepaul on 07 May 2003

195s will be the same as te standard wheel same width wheel and tyre!
The standard wheel is 16x6.5, a half inch less that the 17x7 so 195s will get the \__/ look even more than the 16x6.5(which is a little \__/)

The standard wheels are 7*16" surely it says on the inside of the wheel + The cup wheels are definately 7*16 and they have the same size tyres and look exactly the same!

Ad

MK2 FRS

So if I go for a 30 or 40mm drop and stay with 16s I wont get any rubbing??

who makes the 30mm drop???

YOU WONT GET ANY RUBBING IF YOU STAY WITH THE STANDARD WHEELS WHAT EVER AMOUNT YOU LOWER IT CAUSE RENAULT HAVE DESIGNED IT SO WHEN THE SHOCK IS COMPLETELY COMPRESSED I.E. WHEN YOU HAVE 5 FAT PEOPLE IN THE CAR THE BUSHES STOP IT GOING ANY FUTHER INTO THE ARCH. ITS WHEN YOU START ADDING SLIGHTLY BIGGER WHEELS THAT RUBBING OCCURS. 17S WILL BE 15MM EXTRA SO IT WILL RUB A BIT.

Ad

MK2 FRS

Cheers for that. Been wondering for a while about that. Was gonna order some alloys this week, however, goona wait and see what tempts me at the French CAr show two weeks on Sun.