ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

17" how low should i go?..

clio 1.2 16v
just baught some 17inch alloys and i am wondering how low i should lower it anybody got any ideas?..

cheeers :rasp:

Golf GTI PP Mk7
i think the general advide will be;

Sell the 17's and get 16's, then drop it 40-60mm.

17's are a bit too big for the clio, it'll probably handle like a canal barge.

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
Go for coilovers ;)

cs2.jpg

BG 182
I would say 35mm. It will be good for looks, however dont plan to taking sharp corners at silly speeds because the handling wont be that good IMO

Clio MK 4
only some 17" wheels look to big some dont at all. The cheap and nasty styles like wolfrace always look massive but if you get more subtle ones so multispokes or ones which are similiar to turinis then they dont look that big and can look good when lowered.

id get coilovers with 17" wheels and try and lower 50/60mm.

clio 1.2 16v
they are tsw pace i have baught .. they were not cheap so shud look pritty sick :) ..

also i dont plan on rallying it around im more after looks soo its PERRRRFECTTTT i think ill go 40mm thennn cheeers peeeps :) ..

Mustang, S13, AX GT
i think the general advide will be;

Sell the 17's and get 16's, then drop it 40-60mm.

17's are a bit too big for the clio, it'll probably handle like a canal barge.

Christ I hate those comments, 1 inch difference on the wheels will make your car steer for ditches blah blah blah. Sure enough it may make a difference on track but road driving it'll still go round corners plenty quick enough

ill upload some of my old 1.2.. 17's and coilovers

picture011ql5.jpg

picture003te9.jpg

picture009du5.jpg

sta70425dg6.jpg
haha, the inspiration for my old 1.2 :)

17s and lowered by around 70-80mm on mine:
ClioFCS.gif

TVR Cerbera
I'd love to know why people think that 17's or even 18's will ruin the handling?

surely that's the whole point of low profile tyres. F1 cars in the 80's had big balloon tyres and now they are really low profile. it just seems to me people say bo**ox for the sake of saying it. next you'll be telling me having tyres wider than they should be has ruined my handling (215's instead of 195's)

Daz

TVR Cerbera
Yes, Falkens 215 and 205

Toyos 205 and 195

Michilens 205 and 195

to be perfectly honest, Falkens? your comparing top grip levels with cheap tyres. no

toyos and michelins yes.

i've had yokos (195) and toyos (215) on mine and never looked back.

have you looked at 195's on a track day? they look like they are off the rim ( i know they are pretty close to doing that anyway)

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Realise the Falkens aren't in the others leauge but they were the range toppers!

I agree with 205's over 195's, but I found that the 215 Falkens just had so much drag compared to the 205 Falkens (same tread patteren)

Forgot to mention I have also had Yoko 195's which are the thinnest 195's I've ever seen!

TVR Cerbera
Realise the Falkens aren't in the others leauge but they were the range toppers!

I agree with 205's over 195's, but I found that the 215 Falkens just had so much drag compared to the 205 Falkens (same tread patteren)

Forgot to mention I have also had Yoko 195's which are the thinnest 195's I've ever seen!

yes they are very skinny on rs wheels.

it's always a comprimise between drag and grip