ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup altenator change

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi all.

Going to change my altenator tomorrow so just wondering if theres guide or anything, ive seen the guide or the aircon models doing the timing belt etc but is there anything for the cup?

Doesn't look like itll be that hard to do but just making sure before I take everything off and do something wrong.

Cheers.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Do I need to take anything else off to get at it or can I do it all from the bay? looks quite straight forward but as above, just making sure before I start.

Thanks Dan.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Do I need to take anything else off to get at it or can I do it all from the bay? looks quite straight forward but as above, just making sure before I start.

Thanks Dan.
Is it a proper cup or a cc equipped one? If it's a proper cup they're easy as dan says. Cc equipped not so much. Lol! You can get at everything nice and easy with the bonnet up

Easy as pie mate, I used a new power lead nut though as my alternator didn't come with one.

Maybe best to give the battery a full charge too if your not replacing it, maybe a new belt too for the price of it

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers mate, I've got a new altenator, belt and tensioner!

Checked the belt earlier and I'm quite lucky, its about half the width of a normal belt due to rubbing. Thank god it didn't snap on the way home from work haha

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
where did you get the alternator, think i might need one soon, get a little whine in the morning for around 40 seconds or so, its either that or the power steering pump

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I got mine from Renault, 115 quid for the cup one. there was that or one at 194 quid.

Yeah Dan, I'm not sure what its called but the big bracket thing that the tensioner tightens against broke, then the tensioner sheared and part of the altenator broke too.

I didn't realise the bracket thing was broken until I got the altenator off so ill need to give Renault a call tomorrow for that. Not sure how it broke in the first place. the belts were changed recently so its maybe something to do with that.

I got mine from Renault, 115 quid for the cup one. there was that or one at 194 quid.

Yeah Dan, I'm not sure what its called but the big bracket thing that the tensioner tightens against broke, then the tensioner sheared and part of the altenator broke too.

I didn't realise the bracket thing was broken until I got the altenator off so ill need to give Renault a call tomorrow for that. Not sure how it broke in the first place. the belts were changed recently so its maybe something to do with that.

Should of bought my full set up [emoji39]

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
A bit of info for people who come across this and need an alternator quick,
The 75 amp alternator from the 1.9d and dti (not dci) clio ph1, megane ph1 & kangoo is the same alternator as fitted to the cup if you have a good scrap yard near by.

2004 clio 182 cup
Got to get a new alternator asap as when I had the Cambelt done two weeks ago he said the bracket was cracked. [emoji20]