ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup to Meg R26

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Hi all as the title says recently sold my 172 cup which I do still regret but my god the megane feels such a nicer and faster all round car to drive.

It's a mildly modified car so far but will be getting a few mods, aiming for 300/300 then focusing more on handling, handles epic already so don't want to ruin how it drives on the roads.

Spec so far

RS Tuning Stage 1 - 262bhp & 278ftlbs
Mid Box Chop
KTEC Recirc Blanking Plate
Samco throttle body hose
Forge Dump Valve
KTEC Intake
Cooksport Springs
Forge sensor clamps

Anyhow I won't bore you too much as I've not modified it so far so just share some pics..

Here's one of my previous clio which was the best car I've owned so far..

ca2f7f2a311f3a7ebda958a658a4de87.jpg

And here was the megane when it was collected

5453903a54eee240fe9baa83821ff75d.jpg

Not a fan of the wheels so will be refurbed black soon as I'm back from holiday.

Last weekend took the car for a blast through the trough of bowland.

3e16e6787d30e79957a8e52f3a9e63c1.jpg

591a402ab66530d114f3e04a006b2116.jpg

71cff4861fa90bbd9f8fda94522625cb.jpg

And then this weekend just passed had a drive through the Snowdonia Park with one of the R32 & S3 owners groups [emoji849] despite a serious power disadvantage a lot of them where getting under the feet on the twisty hilly roads, funny to say earlier in the day I was getting grief for driving a French car etc etc lol [emoji108]

Didn't get any pics with them lot as they decided to crop mine and my friends Jap cars out there group pics, so only got one my friend with the evo took at one of his many fuel stops.

947c396630105e1e16e3c3b306e77ec1.jpg

And then on the way home whilst stopping for fuel in Flint we stumbled on a car meet so didn't stay for long but still managed to find a few pics of the car on the meets Facebook page.. looks clean to say it was peppered with flies...

646219ddbdae3ef4f32f796e699c57dc.jpg

2c56a0b7e3755302184d015298fbbd9d.jpg

e8b71d17a512ac99c554709f70713cfb.jpg

f5c15b3308dbb401dc54f5c2b78da308.jpg

b04d7746626b10c6390e5f95faefa1d8.jpg

Will update when I actually get some mods done to it, just to busy enjoying driving it ATM lol. So much nicer for long roadtrips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Looks great. How's the sound with blanking plate fitted?

Sounds like a bus with the forge dump valve lol wasn't keen at first pottering round town it gets annoying but when your blasting about it makes all sort of weird fluttering and tsshh noises, sounds great, don't think I'd change it back to a recirc anyhow.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Looks great in black, loved the R26 I test drove years ago so can imagine with a few mods they must be even better, would still be tempted by one if I got rid of the clio :up:

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Looks great in black, loved the R26 I test drove years ago so can imagine with a few mods they must be even better, would still be tempted by one if I got rid of the clio :up:

Got to be honest mate if I'd of bought a standard power one I think I would've been disappointed, to me this doesn't feel like 262bhp coming from the clio it's not that much quicker but it's mainly the mid range and the torque that makes the difference, clio would out accelerate 0-60 I think.
and I wouldn't of ever bought a regular 225, imo the seats and the LSD make the car.

Would also recommend the cooksports to anyone. Can't wait to test them on track, on the road they're awesome just hope they're not too soft for track use.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Got to be honest mate if I'd of bought a standard power one I think I would've been disappointed, to me this doesn't feel like 262bhp coming from the clio it's not that much quicker but it's mainly the mid range and the torque that makes the difference, clio would out accelerate 0-60 I think.
and I wouldn't of ever bought a regular 225, imo the seats and the LSD make the car.
Would also recommend the cooksports to anyone. Can't wait to test them on track, on the road they're awesome just hope they're not too soft for track use.

I agree I would buy the R26 just for the LSD, it's worth the extra money, that was the first time I had driven a car with an LSD and being able to put your foot down on a roundabout and it to keep speeding up rather than moving further and further off line, I was so close to buying one brand new and then I wimped out and bought the Clio V6 instead 😂

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
I agree I would buy the R26 just for the LSD, it's worth the extra money, that was the first time I had driven a car with an LSD and being able to put your foot down on a roundabout and it to keep speeding up rather than moving further and further off line, I was so close to buying one brand new and then I wimped out and bought the Clio V6 instead 😂

Not exactly a bad choice though lol, ones made money other has lost a lot of money, the megs are at a good price to buy ATM I think, can't see them losing much now anyway.

Yeah the cornering is emmense, this is only on parada spec 2 tyres but it still grips really well. [emoji108]

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I had a trophy for a couple of months, should have bought an r tbh. Maybe one day but the clio is a more fun car, well than the trophy anyway lol

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
I had a trophy for a couple of months, should have bought an r tbh. Maybe one day but the clio is a more fun car, well than the trophy anyway lol

The only thing that made the clio more fun to me was the price tbh, don't get me wrong the meganes aren't an expensive car but there a lot more than the little clios, like on track I just went balls out in the clio and didn't think about it where as I'll be more cautious in the meg I think [emoji106]

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
The only thing that made the clio more fun to me was the price tbh, don't get me wrong the meganes aren't an expensive car but there a lot more than the little clios, like on track I just went balls out in the clio and didn't think about it where as I'll be more cautious in the meg I think [emoji106]

Yep, agree.

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Wheels will 100% be getting painted after my holiday anyhow they're hit and miss with everyone but I've always liked black wheels on black cars so that's what I'm going for [emoji108]

Quick sound clip with the midbox chop, can hear the Intake and dump valve in the back ground

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Not sure on that noise, sounds a bit tractory!

TBH mate it did have a bit of a blow which was a loose clamp from the backbox to centre section, doesn't sound any better on idle like, they're an acquired taste the sound of these, two of my mates say it sounds s**t but rest of them like it lol, on boost its completely different, sounds epic

had the back box and mid box taken off of mine .. very very poppy .. sounds like gun shots

well my next mod is a decat pipe rather than back box chop don't want it going full tractor as Davvy said above, mid box delete is only rill I have the funds for a milltek or may possibly splash out for a cgr system.

will get a video with the go pro mounted on back of the car when I'm back from holiday I need to test out my new suction mount and outdoor case.

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
I'd pay to have the decat fitted, worst job I've done on a car.

He's the sound of my 225 with a 3" Scorpion RS240 turbo back.

Sounds good mate, never knew the rs240 was 3" thought they were 70mm I will probably look into them over a milltek, I just prefer the tips of the milltek systems.

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Anyone gimme a clue as to why the cars brakes are shite?

And I mean there poor to a point that my cup brakes where better? The initial bite is s**t hot but they fade straight away and it's slightly scary over backroads etc cause it doesn't take long for there to be no brakes ?

Also now got a click when turning left full lock from a stand still and low speed. Got a feeling it's gunna be a NS driveshaft cause I have a vibration on acceleration too now and a whirring noise almost like a wheel bearing [emoji30]

Anyhow car got cleaned and polished at the weekend come up well for a cheap one [emoji108]

d28d1f3707f82c49595197f4225eb4ed.jpg

2bfdccd0f784b79ee4daa78340e61c6e.jpg

Will hopefully be updating with some actual mods soon lol. Got a GoPro video of the current exhaust so I'll add a YouTube link too

535d / t5 caravelle
I also went from a 172 cup to an r26 and was horrified at the brakes, just plain dangerous when pushing on, I changed mine to brembo he discs with carbotech xp8 pads, this helped but still wasn't a patch on the cups brakes brembo hc with ds2500 pads.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
^^^ It is,

Best brakes I've ever had were on my 16V Mk1, uprated pads, std discs and lines - it was amazing! It also weighed less than a ton which is half the battle.

Down to the weight of the cars i would have thought.
MY old lardy 6 MPS (1700kg) had cracking brakes and they where single pot. Maybe its a Renault thing as I find the Clio's braking system shocking as well. That f20 118d I had recently shown me what decent brakes where even in OE spec, much better than 4 pots with DS3000 pads on the Clio.

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
I also went from a 172 cup to an r26 and was horrified at the brakes, just plain dangerous when pushing on, I changed mine to brembo he discs with carbotech xp8 pads, this helped but still wasn't a patch on the cups brakes brembo hc with ds2500 pads.

I'm gunna go for the same pads I bought for the clio, mintex 1155 and some ATE super brake fluid cause I've checked the fluid today and it's not the nicest so hopefully the fading is down to the fluid.
All discs and pads were replaced June last year with Renault parts

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Here's an exhaust clip I took a few days ago, video quality isn't the best as my wifi is shite

Megane 250
My megane 225 brakes are horrific, I've had them fade multiple times without really pushing all that hard.

It's due new discs and a fluid change, in thinking of OEM discs and Mintex 1144 with super blue fluid...

Use 1144 in my track car and find them great.

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
My megane 225 brakes are horrific, I've had them fade multiple times without really pushing all that hard.

It's due new discs and a fluid change, in thinking of OEM discs and Mintex 1144 with super blue fluid...

Use 1144 in my track car and find them great.

I'll be able to tel you next week about fluid mate I'm going for same super blue and apparently I've read somewhere the brembos might not be bled properly so taking it to a garage with an auto bleeder machine, I'm also going for the mintex pads but 1155 as I loved them in my clio [emoji108]

Megane 250
I'll be able to tel you next week about fluid mate I'm going for same super blue and apparently I've read somewhere the brembos might not be bled properly so taking it to a garage with an auto bleeder machine, I'm also going for the mintex pads but 1155 as I loved them in my clio [emoji108]

Yeah pop an update in her, be good to see if it is just that.

I've no idea when my fluids were done last, but I don't wanna change until I've got everything there to do it at the same time.

But they are absolutely horrific, to the point I don't actually take the car on a spirited drive any more.

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Yeah pop an update in her, be good to see if it is just that.

I've no idea when my fluids were done last, but I don't wanna change until I've got everything there to do it at the same time.

But they are absolutely horrific, to the point I don't actually take the car on a spirited drive any more.

I've just checked my fluid and it's really brown and was only done end of last year and only done one trackday but I've been doing a fair bit of enthusiastic driving lately so always worth changing, will also give me a lot more confidence as like I said after 2/3 bends over a backroad I've literally no pedal.

Megane 250
I've just checked my fluid and it's really brown and was only done end of last year and only done one trackday but I've been doing a fair bit of enthusiastic driving lately so always worth changing, will also give me a lot more confidence as like I said after 2/3 bends over a backroad I've literally no pedal.

Yeah, I may do mine next weekend...

I noticed with mine there was no gradually going, the pedal would just go? If that makes sense.

First time I was having a dabble with another car, couple of roundabouts, come to the last and the peddle just went.