ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 elec problem + other questions.....

Clio 172 & RS2000
Hello chaps

my missus and i have bought a W-reg clio sport 172 which we got off her sister. All has been fine as I have been looking after the car for the last 4 years (i am a mechanic/mot tester), however, the dash clocks have developed a fault....wondered if anyone had come across a similar problem.

I went to use the car whilst she was away, and being a bit short of cash at the time I made it my mission to get the MPG up as high as possible - managed 42.6 mpg at one stage!!! Anyway, the next day i went to use the car and the trip meter etc had reset itself over night?!

The next few days it was fine, but it happened again and reset its self. Then i noticed the speedo would stop working momentarily, and then start working again. Turns out my missus has notcied the speedo not working now and then in the past, which was a relief as i thought i was goign to get th eblame for breaking something!!

Now the speedo has started to stop working after a few minutes of driving, and will not start working againg until you have stopped using the car for a while and you next go out in it.

The speedo cutting out points to a speed sensor, however, the resetting of the trip meter may point to something a bit more in depth. My boss thinks that the trip meter etc works off the ECU due to it being linked to the TPS and injector duty cycle, speed sensor etc but i dont know.

anyone had a similar problem?

I havent managed to get it onto the computer yet to see if i can get into the dash and read any faults etc off it but hope to do that this week

any help much appreciated!

cheers

Tim

p.s - apologies for the essay!