ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Engine and Gearbox

172 Cup + Impreza
Can anybody tell me if there I s there any differences between the 2.0 engine and gearbox in an ordinary 2002 Clio 172, and the Cup variant?

Thanks

330i. E30 Touring.
Cup gearbox is different in that it needs a speedo sensor.

Engines identical, but most will tell you the cup ones are 'better'. Aux setup is different as no AC on most cups.

172 Cup + Impreza
Thanks - can the sensor be fitted to the non-cup gearbox? - Will it screw into the casing instead of the cable drive?

330i. E30 Touring.
Ph1 172's and early Ph2 172's also have the sensor.

You can fit a box with a speedo sensor to a car that doesn't need it, but not the other way round unless you don't want the speedo working.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
But I have a clio 172, non cup and the speedo sometimes drops, then comes alive again. I was told that my speedo sensor is in poor condition and falling apart. Ah, I'm 02 plate, non cruise control meaning I have a cup gearbox? Odd.

172 Cup + Impreza
So I can put any 172 engine into my 172 cup, and as long as the gearbox has a speed sensor (like my existing one does) it'll work fine

Will a later 182 engine fit and work?

Are there any other gearboxes that are compatible?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
So I can put any 172 engine into my 172 cup, and as long as the gearbox has a speed sensor (like my existing one does) it'll work fine

Will a later 182 engine fit and work?

Are there any other gearboxes that are compatible?
Your gearbox choices are jc5 089 which is a ph1 speedo drive gearbox with a different final drive. Jc5 129 is also a speedo drive gearbox and is found in ph2 172's and cups. Some have the speedo drive sensor fitted and some don't. It also has a different final drive to the 089.

The gearbox that won't work is the jc5 130. This will fit, but doesn't have a speedo drive. All the gear ratios are the same in all 3 boxes, just the final drive differs in the 089.

A 182 engine will fit and is pretty much a straight swap. The only problem you'll have is the line for the carbon canister is different on the 182 to the 172's. Solution - block it off! Any 172 engine will drop in and work. Ph1 is cable throttle though so you'll need to run a dbw upper plenum.