ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 to scrap or not to scrap?

Clio 172
Hello guys, wondered if I could get some advice please?
I'm undecided whether or not to scrap my 172 (2002, 85k). My circumstances have changed recently and I'm now living on a single wage and having to travel further to work. However, the 172 has thrown some spanners in the works with a few mechanical issues. Due to circumstances I'm not sure if I can justify throwing more money at it. I don't know whether to sell it as it is or just scrap it? I've listed good and bad points below. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
Good points:
£1,200 spent last June including major service (new sparks, etc), cambelt change, new aux belt tensioner, new pads and discs all round, new battery, alternator changed, headlamps machine polished. MOT til June, no advisories. 85k miles. New clutch, exhaust and radiator few years ago, good tread on tyres, other general maintenance, ball joints, bearings, etc.
Bad points:
Hit a pothole on the motorway, driver seat airbag deployed, cracked front bumper (alloy wheel repaired with new tyre though).
Off-side xenon on the blink, ABS light on (mechanic thinks it's the reluctor rings) and it now seems the cambelt needs re-timing (quoted £100-125). Body work fair for a car of it's age.
Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated, or any pricing ideas. Thanks again

Clio Sport 182
Hello guys, wondered if I could get some advice please?
I'm undecided whether or not to scrap my 172 (2002, 85k). My circumstances have changed recently and I'm now living on a single wage and having to travel further to work. However, the 172 has thrown some spanners in the works with a few mechanical issues. Due to circumstances I'm not sure if I can justify throwing more money at it. I don't know whether to sell it as it is or just scrap it? I've listed good and bad points below. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
Good points:
£1,200 spent last June including major service (new sparks, etc), cambelt change, new aux belt tensioner, new pads and discs all round, new battery, alternator changed, headlamps machine polished. MOT til June, no advisories. 85k miles. New clutch, exhaust and radiator few years ago, good tread on tyres, other general maintenance, ball joints, bearings, etc.
Bad points:
Hit a pothole on the motorway, driver seat airbag deployed, cracked front bumper (alloy wheel repaired with new tyre though).
Off-side xenon on the blink, ABS light on (mechanic thinks it's the reluctor rings) and it now seems the cambelt needs re-timing (quoted £100-125). Body work fair for a car of it's age.
Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated, or any pricing ideas. Thanks again

why you dont try to get a compensation from your local council for the damage from the pothole?

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
It really doesn't sound that bad. Spend the money on the things really needing done and don't worry about the other bits and bobs until you have some cash.

Get the ABS thing and cambelt timed up properly.

As above. It's easily worth about £400-£500 maybe a bit more. Don't scrap it