ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Changed Washer Pump, Still No Screenwash

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
After the 182 was sitting sorned under a larch tree for 3 months (not a good idea!), the screen washer pump didn't work, no noise from the pump. When pulling the stalk with the lights on, the headlights wash would work, but not the screen. I've previously sanded the piece inside the pump that operates the rear wash, so thought a replacement pump was in order.

Replaced the pump with the new one, no change. So, when pulling the stalk, the wipers operate, but no noise from the washer pump. When doing it with the headlights on, the headlights wash works, but not the screen wash. So not a fuse, and I don't think a relay, and not the pump.

Any ideas? Cheers.

Listerine & Poledo
clogged lines to the windscreen sprays?
Isn't it the same pump for all the front-end washers?

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
clogged lines to the windscreen sprays?
Isn't it the same pump for all the front-end washers?

Thanks. If the lines were clogged that wouldn't stop the pump whirring would it? It is silent. There are 2 pumps, one for both the front and rear screens, and one for the headlights wash, as far as I am aware.

Listerine & Poledo
Dunno,I'd imagine it wouldstill spin up, unless there was so much pressure in the tubes that it couldn't.......unlikely.

How is your rear screen spray? Is that working?

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Dunno,I'd imagine it wouldstill spin up, unless there was so much pressure in the tubes that it couldn't.......unlikely.

How is your rear screen spray? Is that working?

No, rear screen wash doesn't work either, that runs from the same pump as the front screen.

PH2 172
TE="fatboymal, post: 11282554, member: 40468"]No, rear screen wash doesn't work either, that runs from the same pump as the front screen.[/QUOTE]
Swap the plugs over from screen to headlight washer pumps.
If the screen pump then runs,the fault is in the wiring or stalk,or if the screen pump does not run,new pump time.

Last edited:

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Swap the plugs over from screen to headlight washer pumps.
If the screen pump then runs,the fault is in the wiring or stalk,or if the screen pump does not run,new pump time.

Thanks, good idea, at least that will provide me with screen wash I guess, though I suppose only when the headlights are on? The pump is already new, and tested working.

If it is the stalk at fault wouldn't it prevent the headlight washer working also?

PH2 172
If it is the stalk at fault wouldn't it prevent the headlight washer working also?
Headlight washer has a separate feed dependant on headlight operation.
Sorry,I didn`t realise the screen pump operation was already proven.
Multimeter time I`m afraid.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Thanks. They both work, that's established. Would swapping them show up anything else?

As your headlight ones work, if you swap pumps and then suddenly the windscreen washer works, you'll know the issue is internal with the pump. If it still doesn't work, you know its wiring, or tubing etc.

I've found most of the non genuine pumps to be rubbish.

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
As your headlight ones work, if you swap pumps and then suddenly the windscreen washer works, you'll know the issue is internal with the pump. If it still doesn't work, you know its wiring, or tubing etc.

I've found most of the non genuine pumps to be rubbish.

Cheers. It is non-genuine, but it whirrs when supplied with power.

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Worth a try.
Perhaps you can help me.
Does the rear washer pipe go on the black or white spout of the pump?

Not sure I can tell, neither are working and the pump has just been changed. Is it obvious which pipe is for the rear? If so I'll have a look for you.

PH2 172
Sorry - scuttle panel is back in place so can't see the pump at all!
So all sorted then?
Just getting round to sort something I removed months ago,split bottle.
I think this has worked,just do a leak test now.
Correct I/d washers with lashings of no more nails.
SPLIT WASHER BOTTLE 2016-12-22 11.12.30.jpg
WASHER BOTTLE BODGE REPAIR 2016-12-22 11.13.58.jpg

PH2 172
@fatboymal @M90SR
I learnt a few things today,that perhaps I should have known,but suspect I`m not alone in my previous ignorance.
Lets start here

Mal your screen washer pump is closest to wing,the bonnet spout is the black one,rear screen the white one.
Amongst other part numbers,the screen pump is 7700428385 and is common to PSA (citroen & Peugeot) vehicles as shown in the vid.
The direction of rotation of the pump is switched by the column stalk switching polarity,so there must be 2 separate circuits contained within it.

The headlamp washer pump is a different beast,and supplies both spouts at the same time,pt number 488545050(ECP number I think) or 7700430078.

Either type is available from eBay at less than £10,though some fine adjustments may be required to obtain a good conection,but sod paying £50 for a scalextric motor.

Mine`s all up & running now,with working h/l washers for the 1st time since I bought it.

Thanks to @M90 for providing a 2nd pair of hands.

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
@fatboymal @M90SR
I learnt a few things today,that perhaps I should have known,but suspect I`m not alone in my previous ignorance.
Lets start here

Mal your screen washer pump is closest to wing,the bonnet spout is the black one,rear screen the white one.
Amongst other part numbers,the screen pump is 7700428385 and is common to PSA (citroen & Peugeot) vehicles as shown in the vid.
The direction of rotation of the pump is switched by the column stalk switching polarity,so there must be 2 separate circuits contained within it.

The headlamp washer pump is a different beast,and supplies both spouts at the same time,pt number 488545050(ECP number I think) or 7700430078.

Either type is available from eBay at less than £10,though some fine adjustments may be required to obtain a good conection,but sod paying £50 for a scalextric motor.

Mine`s all up & running now,with working h/l washers for the 1st time since I bought it.

Thanks to @M90 for providing a 2nd pair of hands.

Yes, I'd done the slider filling trick some years ago.

Did you buy those part numbers? I used 488545100 for the screen pump from carparts 4 less, £10 odd.

PH2 172
Yes, I'd done the slider filling trick some years ago.

Did you buy those part numbers? I used 488545100 for the screen pump from carparts 4 less, £10 odd.

No,I picked up a washer bottle with some used pumps,but as it was filthy inside so washed it out,but the pumps leaked through the white spouts,and I assumed they were contaminated too.
I was erroneously under the impression that both pumps were the same,as some others on here still are,so ordered 2x http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161778925220?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT from eBay.
I think it is easy to damage the bottles by removing the pumps by pulling them out incorrectly,ie not in a straight line,and I managed to damage my spare bottle.
After effecting the repair shown previously,it was apparent that even new pumps leak through the white spout,and once on the car it was obvious that both pumps did not perform the same function,and were only suitable as front screen/rear screen use,as they only operate one spout at a time.
I still had 2 pumps in addition to the ebay purchases,part numbered 7700428385,which also had Peugeot & Citroen emblems & part numbers on them,1 of which functioned,and another pump numbered 488545050.
This one sprays from both spouts at the same time,so used that for the headlights,and one of the eBay ones for the screens.
I also discovered that just because you cannot blow through the headlamp washers,it does not indicate they will not function correctly.

I hope you have yours sorted now.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Last edited:
  PH2 172
Edit: IV also used the ECP /CP4L pumps and find they are crap, the valve tends to stick in one direction from new.

That would be because you are convinced both pumps are interchangeable,and wondering why liquid only comes out of one spout when you need to feed two hoses,and will not accept that you are using a front/rear screen pump in the wrong application.
This would be the correct pump:http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/product/renault-clio-v6-washer-pump-headlamp/
or for those that would rather not pay £50 for a pump that is destined to fail,as I have not encountered one OE pump in working order,this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headlamp-...+Sport&hash=item54141776ec:g:y6AAAOxyUylTVnSq

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
No I've just had faulty pumps. It goes like this with the ECP ones when testing:

1) spray front windows - fine
2) spray rear window - fine
3) spray front window - only comes out rear
4) wait five minutes, spray front window - fine

I just go used OEM and trim the valve. Works fine.

Oh and of course you can't blow through the headlight pipe, otherwise water would constantly leak out at low pressure.

Last edited:
  PH2 172
No I've just had faulty pumps. It goes like this with the ECP ones when testing:

1) spray front windows - fine
2) spray rear window - fine
3) spray front window - only comes out rear
4) wait five minutes, spray front window - fine

I just go used OEM and trim the valve. Works fine.

Oh and of course you can't blow through the headlight pipe, otherwise water would constantly leak out at low pressure.

Guess that`s why I`ve never bought anything from ECP,I was warned.
I nearly bought some Brembo discs once as the price looked good,and then I found it was the price of just one.
I thought I might manage enough puff to open the one valves,but obviously not.

PH2 172
They're not different and they are interchangeable. It (the headlight washer pump) just very quickly switches polarity to spray both headlights.
A sincere apology.

When I first read this, it seemed such a stupid idea, I thought you were on a wind up.
I mean a simple single spout pump with a T piece would have done the job.

Here are some other posts on the same subject.
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/182-headlight-washers-only-1-working-garage-stumped.785358/

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/headlight-washer-not-working-poor-voltage.784035/

Here`s another ingenious but daft French invention.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
A sincere apology.

When I first read this, it seemed such a stupid idea, I thought you were on a wind up.
I mean a simple single spout pump with a T piece would have done the job.

Here are some other posts on the same subject.
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/182-headlight-washers-only-1-working-garage-stumped.785358/

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/headlight-washer-not-working-poor-voltage.784035/

Here`s another ingenious but daft French invention.

No problem mate. It is a bit of an odd one tbh.