ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 cruise control gone completely.

182 RB FF
The cruise control buttons on the steering wheel would swap functions with one another, for example increasing the speed might stop it etc and now none of the buttons work at all. i can still turn the function on and the green symbol comes on the dash but nothing then from the steering wheel buttons. Anyone got a solution for this?

BMW 320d SE
I had this problem a little while ago. I asked on here but nobody had any ideas. Some days it worked fine, others it was as you described. Strangely, I changed my head unit and the problem went away! I can only suggest changing the cruise control switch by your right knee as they can be problematic.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Mine hasnt worked since i bought it 18 months ago. Whats weird is that the switch intermittently works by your right knee. But the buttons on the steering wheel dont do anything. Anyone got any ideas on a fix? Cant even find replacement steering wheel buttons online!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

BMW 320d SE
Mine hasnt worked since i bought it 18 months ago. Whats weird is that the switch intermittently works by your right knee. But the buttons on the steering wheel dont do anything. Anyone got any ideas on a fix? Cant even find replacement steering wheel buttons online!

If the switch by the knee is problematic, try changing that first.

Listerine & Poledo
It's all linked to the pedals as well, isn't it?
If not the switch on the dash, maybe the one on the clutch / brakes?

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Funny you say that. Im also getting the dreaded ABS/SERV light coming up after a few motorway miles. Which apparently can be the cars way of saying it cant tell where the brake pedal is. Could have something to do with it? Im pretty inexperienced here ill be honest!

Have you used any can clip, DDT, Pyren or just fault readers to get any fault read? May by wires just wear out in a steering column

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Sorry if im hijacking the thread here. Ive tried a OBD2 scanner and no faults codes stored. If i switch ignition off and on again they go off for a few more miles. Tried scanning for faults with the lights on and off. Also tried modifying the switch and that didnt work. Its either the switch or wires on steering column or the whole brake pedal situation. I think ill tackle them in that order!

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Update - Not much progress to report tbh. I pulled the switch a few times (warm and cold days) to see if I can get the cruise button to work. Had some luck bending the clips as someone else reported but it never stayed on. Weirdly, the speed limited (button pushed down) seems to stay on but doesnt actually function. Anyone else had any luck?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I used have this problem , albeit intermittently a couple of years ago . It cleared itself so I don't have a solution for you guys unfortunately . I'm sure I read somewhere ages ago that it might be linked to a bad earth/ corroded pins on the rear light clusters . Do any of you experience the fog light indicator on the dash faintly flash when you press the brake pedal ? It might be worth you looking at the connector pins on the rear lights , they might be corroded and give them a clean up. Just thought I'd throw that into the mix .

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I used have this problem , albeit intermittently a couple of years ago . It cleared itself so I don't have a solution for you guys unfortunately . I'm sure I read somewhere ages ago that it might be linked to a bad earth/ corroded pins on the rear light clusters . Do any of you experience the fog light indicator on the dash faintly flash when you press the brake pedal ? It might be worth you looking at the connector pins on the rear lights , they might be corroded and give them a clean up. Just thought I'd throw that into the mix .
Funnily enough, i do have this problem. Going to clear it up tomorrow as I have a day off. Any ideas whats best to clear it up with? Ill take a look online but i didnt know if you had any suggestions. As the switch isnt working correctly ill be ordering another!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Funnily enough, i do have this problem. Going to clear it up tomorrow as I have a day off. Any ideas whats best to clear it up with? Ill take a look online but i didnt know if you had any suggestions. As the switch isnt working correctly ill be ordering another!

Like I said , mine just cured itself . I could have the CC set , green light on the dash but the steering wheel buttons wouldn't function.I took off each rear light cluster , one at once and pressed the brake pedal. It turned out it was the offside light that was causing the fog light dash sumbol to flcker very faintly . The only thing was , all the pins were like new , no corrosion whatsoever. So that kinda ruled that out . I thought maybe it was moisture , so i dried out all the connectors with a hair dryer and put on some electrical conductive grease , which worked for a while . Mine still flickers , more so when its damp / raining . I also read somewhere on CS about a black earth wire going from the light cluster to the bodywork . But i never investigated further . It's quite a common problem by all accounts if you search for fog lights flickering .

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Like I said , mine just cured itself . I could have the CC set , green light on the dash but the steering wheel buttons wouldn't function.I took off each rear light cluster , one at once and pressed the brake pedal. It turned out it was the offside light that was causing the fog light dash sumbol to flcker very faintly . The only thing was , all the pins were like new , no corrosion whatsoever. So that kinda ruled that out . I thought maybe it was moisture , so i dried out all the connectors with a hair dryer and put on some electrical conductive grease , which worked for a while . Mine still flickers , more so when its damp / raining . I also read somewhere on CS about a black earth wire going from the light cluster to the bodywork . But i never investigated further . It's quite a common problem by all accounts if you search for fog lights flickering .
Okay thats brilliant. Ill tackle it tomorrow and see how I get on. I like your method of taking one off at a time to work out which is the culprit. Ill post once i find out my results!

I have a suspecious feeling that i will need a new switch regardless but ill have my glass half full!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Okay thats brilliant. Ill tackle it tomorrow and see how I get on. I like your method of taking one off at a time to work out which is the culprit. Ill post once i find out my results!

I have a suspecious feeling that i will need a new switch regardless but ill have my glass half full!

Nice one. I'll keep my eyes open for your results . Good luck , I hope you get it sorted . :up:

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Just having a go at this now. Followed your steps of taking them out one by one. Weirdly it doesnt matter which is one is in, they both cause the fog light to flicker. Any ideas?

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Okay all sorted. Took both lights out and saw that they were actually covered in white residue. Clearly from moisture at some stage. Halfords sell electrical contact cleaner (other brands are available) and after cleaning them up with a screwdriver being careful to clean both sides of the female and male connectors we now dont have a fog light! Success! Now to go and see if we can get cruise to work

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
The saga continues. No cruise control. Pulled the panel out as the switch seems to stay on when not in its housing. Still wont engage!

BMW 320d SE
Did you ever sort this problem out? Mine fixed itself for a month or two, but now I’m back to how it was before, that being the steering wheel buttons doing the wrong things.