ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 insurance in Manchester

Arctic 182
Evening all, i'm looking at getting hold of a 182 in the not-to-distant future and live in Manchester.

I've been shopping round for insurance quotes and so far the cheapest I can get is £1089.

This is declaring exhaust and brake modifications, with 8 years(!) NCB, kept overnight in a residential car park (which has CCTV)

The main contributory fact to the cost is the location in city centre Manchester – if I lived back in rural Northamptonshire where i'm from originally for example it drops to nearer the £600 mark!

The £1089 quote is with Admiral, and to be fair it's not a bad policy as it includes legal cover, courtesy car, protected NCB and only £350 excess. However I was hoping some of you guys on here have maybe had some experience insuring 182s in City Centre locations and might be able to point me towards somewhere who might be able to give me a cheaper quote (or insurance traders on here who think they'll be able to quote cheaper PM me…)

* Both Sky and Greenlight don't cover Manchester by the way and the best Adrian Flux could come up with was £7k!!

Thanks, Chris

audi a6 3.0tdi
Try brentachre one of the other lads is in manchester with a 172 cup and paying about £700. I've got a bl postcode which is nearly as bad i'm with brentachre paying £685 as a second car.

the car has to have at least one modification with brentacre

Arctic 182
Cheers for that, rang Brentacre this morning and they've come in £40 cheaper – slightly more expensive excess, but includes commuting on the policy (which wasn't on the Admiral one). Also their policy on non-performance modifications has sealed the deal really – basically as long as the change doesn't effect the power output then they don't charge extra for it (not even an admin fee to add it to the policy)

So all in all probably going to go with them… unless anyone else has any other suggestions?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Try Livingstones Warman on 01935 706258

Tell them you're a member of a car club for an additional discount

I insure my S2000 in Manchesther through them (NIG). Most insurers (Sky, CK etc) wouldnt insure the area while usual groups (Tesco, Admiral, Aviva, Flux etc) were coming back with quotes of 2.5k +

In the end I got it for £695

Arctic 182
Thanks, will try both of them this week –*picking up the 182 second weekend in October so got a bit more time to shop around. Will post on here how I get on...

Arctic 182
Livingstones Warman have come at £660!! Need to speak to them to find out some cover details (courtesy car, protected NCB etc) but that much cheaper is awesome, cheers Al!

535d / t5 caravelle
i spent all day yesterday ringing for insurance mate, brentacre where the best at £679 until i stumbled upon Nowell and Richards, they came in at £459 with mods declared, no one else came anywhere near my quote with brentacre never mind nowell and richards, so give them a try, let me know how you get on with em, also chris knott are usally very good.

ps. i'm actually insured with aviva through the broker.

http://www.nowellandrichards.co.uk/

Golf MK5 TDI
I tried Nowell and Richards and they were £1200+ for me?

I'm in Manchester and Aviva were the lowest by about £170 for me.

535d / t5 caravelle
I tried Nowell and Richards and they were £1200+ for me?

I'm in Manchester and Aviva were the lowest by about £170 for me.

bloody hell, no one could touch em for me, i'm in blackburn, but i know for a fact my postcode is shite for insurance purposses

Arctic 182
Just looked at this again -*getting the 182 in less than two weeks so need to get it sorted, will check out nowellandrichards

Bit of a predicament with Livingstones Warman, and i'm guessing the same with other insurance companies too... basically they'll insure me on the 8th October and are happy to wait until the 27th for the NCB proof (when my current policy runs out) but they can't do protected NCB like this, it has to be taken out at the inception of the insurance with the relevant NCB in place.

So the other option is to give up 11 months of NCB and cancel my other policy on my 306 and go to Livingstones with 7 years NCB, but this will be protected.

Or... i've enquired as to whether they'll cover me for 19 days then start a full year's policy on the 27th (when the pug insurance is up) - probably a slim chance of this being possible though.

So what do you reckon I should do? Give up nearly a years worth of NCB and get protected NCB.... or get the 8 years on the policy at the risk of having it unprotected...

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I bet price difference between 7 and 8 years doesnt exist at all mate so just go with protected.

Renault Megane 2.0
You should take out a policy with the one less NCB then cancel it before the 14 day cooling off period is up and get a full refund, then take your proper policy once you have the correct NCB in couple of weeks, if anything was to happen (touch wood it doesnt) during that time its just bad luck and you would have to keep the policy with the one less NCB but its unlikely it will. Ive done it loads of times between policies. You could actually do it all year round every 2 weeks and have free insurance but i couldnt be arsed with the hassle of that every 2 weeks!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for that, rang Brentacre this morning and they've come in £40 cheaper – slightly more expensive excess, but includes commuting on the policy (which wasn't on the Admiral one). Also their policy on non-performance modifications has sealed the deal really – basically as long as the change doesn't effect the power output then they don't charge extra for it (not even an admin fee to add it to the policy)

So all in all probably going to go with them… unless anyone else has any other suggestions?

I have no idea on earth why Admiral does that? It was entirely my own fault (the less I have to go anywhere near car insurance, the better for me) - but all of last years policy was listed as Social Only. When I renewed last week, I asked them to verify and they said commuting wasn't covered - so I got that changed.

Still, the policy comes on about 5 sheets and its just shy of £500 for the 182. Some decent printing press that - nearly £100 per sheet. ;)

As W17GLE says, I'm unfortunate enough to have a BL postcode - despite being 8 miles from Bolton itself. According to the insurance stats, that puts it on par with some American patrol zone in Helmand province.

D.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
insurance in Manchester is a pain in the nuts, its still over twice as much as it was down in Cornwall even though my accidents come off the record now and I have 2 years no claims as opposed to 0..

Merc A class
Im never going to be able to insure the 172 at my age :(

Guess it will be a dedicated track car then! :)

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Is anyone paying around the £500 mark in Manc? Or am I dreaming? CBFA.

120d M-Sport
Whats the lowest quote you guys are getting? All the renewal quotes im getting back on my 172 are 3.5k with 1 year ncb! f**k that for a laugh ive just shelled out £2.5k throughout the last year on insurance!

a thirsty one
i have a mcr postcode, my 182 was £570 last year, just had renewal through the post at £620

fyi - brentacre, i'm 31 yrs old, 12 yrs ncb and clean licence

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Glad I saw this thread before I went and just paid my renewal of £800 at Brentacre.

Just been on the phone to Livingstones Warman and they quoted £590 :D

Thats for 27 years old, 6 years ncb, clean licence and mcr postcode.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Livingstones Warman are epic - speak with Michelle and tell them that Alex recommended them...

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Just renewed with Livingstones Warman this week. Came back with £699 but haggled them down a bit, it's now £620 for the year, not bad considering everyone else was £800+ :D

renault clio cup 172
am paying £95 a month, £1200 for the year with 5 years ncb and 6 points.

EDIT: am not from manchester tho, does your location also have a lot to do with your insurance?

Last edited:
LOL, Yes.

Best I've got is £1200 from either Greenlight or EUI Group.

And he lives in the posh part (if that exists in Manchester) lol

Mine has been going up and up every year, I started off paying £650 for my Cup, following year it jumped up to £700 and now on my ph-1 it's 1k. Brentacre have always provided me with the cheapest quotes.

And he lives in the posh part (if that exists in Manchester) lol

Mine has been going up and up every year, I started off paying £650 for my Cup, following year it jumped up to £700 and now on my ph-1 it's 1k. Brentacre have always provided me with the cheapest quotes.

It's still M33. 2nd worst postcode area in the UK.

Sunflower Ph1 172
I'm just outside Manchester as some of you know. WA postcode

I've spoke to Adrian Flux, Brentacre, Sky and Elephant so far. Any other suggestions? I was going to ring Greenlight but states they don't cover Clio 172 on their website.

ph1 172
Coilovers & Cat back
3yncb
3 points (4 years ago)
crash - non fault (4 years ago)