ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 misfire, WHAT'S CAUSING IT!

So I'm on my phone so this might be a painful read.

I picked up my 182 3 weeks ago now and I've had a few problems. Apart from the oil leak that's now sorted it has a fairly bad misfire it developed last week.

I havnt got a bloody clue what's causing it and I'm out of ideas.

Coil pack, leads, plugs and injectors have all been ruled out. Compression is fine, timing is fine as it's just has a new belt and such. All the sensors are working fine.
I've had a good auto electrician friend come and have a look and he has no clue.

I don't have any ideas what to even try next!

Any suggestions?
The misfire is on idle and when you let off the throttle it backfires a couple of times.
Not always bad but sometimes I get a flashing eml with a misfire code.
It feels to be across all 4 cylinders

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Flashing EML, usually points to injector issue. What test did you do to rule them out?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
"Coil pack, leads, plugs and injectors" have you swapped these for new or known working ones?

dan's cast offs.
It's had new leads and plugs. The coil was changed before I bought it but the auto electrician was confident it's fine and working.

did he plug it in and look at codes and live data? i'm guessing not or he would of seen an injector/misfire code :wink:

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
It's had new leads and plugs. The coil was changed before I bought it but the auto electrician was confident it's fine and working.

You know there is 4 plugs coming out of the coil pack. have you tried pulling off one lead at a time so you can visually see if there is a spark produced. Obviously dont electrocute yourself but if you dont have plastic pliers then turn the car off on and on with each one off. Also examine the coilpack for cracks especially at the base.

You know there is 4 plugs coming out of the coil pack. have you tried pulling off one lead at a time so you can visually see if there is a spark produced. Obviously dont electrocute yourself but if you dont have plastic pliers then turn the car off on and on with each one off. Also examine the coilpack for cracks especially at the base.
Done that all seem exactly the same as well as you can tell.

Doing my head in [emoji24]

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Maybe your pre Cat lambda sensor? Swap it over with the post Cat and see if that makes any difference .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
It's had 2 new ones recently. Possibly faulty?

I couldn't say if they're faulty . Maybe if you bought some cheap ones ?? Is your exhaust leaking at the joint between the Cat and centre section or manifold ? That can cause your exhaust to pop and bang . Is it always only on idle ? What about when the cars fully warmed up ?

dan's cast offs.

doesn't always work as it's a twin coil running wasted spark so one may not spark when the lead is off.

dan's cast offs.
Had it into 2 code readers. One said destructive misfire and the other said misfire causing catalytic damage.

probably an injector, get someone who knows what they are doing to look at it.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
When you say coilpack , plugs , leads and injectors have all been ruled out . How have they actually been ruled out ? It does sound more like the injectors than anything else .

When you say coilpack , plugs , leads and injectors have all been ruled out . How have they actually been ruled out ? It does sound more like the injectors than anything else .
Leads are new, the plugs have been done not long ago but I have another set to put in.
The auto electrician is confident it's not injectors or the coil. He's good at what he does.
I could try injectors but I've thrown enough at it since buying it to keep on.

Giving me a right headache

I don't want to sound like I'm just pushing everyone suggestions into the dirt with my replies.
I'm really appreciating all the help.
Just hoping I can get to the bottom of it as it's the last thing letting the car down.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I don't want to sound like I'm just pushing everyone suggestions into the dirt with my replies.
I'm really appreciating all the help.
Just hoping I can get to the bottom of it as it's the last thing letting the car down.

Don't worry about your replies . There are quite a few things that can cause these problems 1*2s are at that age now were it seems you regularly see faults like yours . People are happy to help on CS , usually .

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
These are nearly always injector issues!!

I am amazed at this as mine is still on original injectors at 133,000 miles and never had a fault with them to date (touch wood!).

Is there some form of design fault or is it more down to the fact that mine is used daily giving less time for anything to settle?

clio 182
Just got the dreaded 0303 code 😒 car was running fine, gave it a clean today and when i went to start it, it crancked over 3/4 times then just stopped trying to start. Engine is still turning over fine but wont fire🤔