ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Gearbox fault and absolutely fuming!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
hope they give u the 100% mate, dont see why after offering u 95%. cant believe a gearbox has gone at that mileage. i really like the 197's as well but this gearbox issue puts me off buying one.

172 cup (again)
I would still recommend a 172 cup or trophy to anyone. I even looked for a 172 cup before I decided on the 197 as i thought it would be the safer option with regards to being newer, more modern and less likely to give me reliability issues for the mulitple years i plan to keep it.

I cannot at this time recomment purchasing a 197 or 200 because I know they are prone to gearbox failure.

My car has recaros, the seat bolster drivers side had worn (22k miles) and that was replaced back in November, the passenger seatbelt clasp stopped working (22k miles) and left me unable to use the passenger seat, this again was replaced under warranty. I could understand Renault not replacing these as you could argue they are wear and tear items but not a gearbox

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I had a brand spankers gearfox fitted, delivered from Renault, it failed after less than 200 miles lol.

172 cup (again)
Update on my issue -

Renault CS and Cardiff Renault have agreed to contribute 97.5% costs towards a replacement box and this will include 12 months warranty on the new box.

I have accepted this and can only speak highly of both Alison Bayliss from Renaut Customer Services UK and also Cardiff Renault Service team who are contributing 2.5%.

The new box was ordered yesterday and will be in stock by tomorrow - will be fitted on Monday next week when I have time to take the car there.

Thanks to all who were supportive and understanding towards this issue, hope this is a lesson to some who may come across similar issues. Others should also acknowledge that things like this are worth fighting for.

I can now look forward to enjoying the car again

Thanks
Rich

Westy. MX5
Well---nearly 100%. I would say this is a great outcome. Credit to you for being persistant and probably biting your tongue dealing with Renault.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Nothing to do with any revisions, it was only a ratio change in 2007. Just look how many 200's are suffering now