ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2005 RB 182 Cup

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
So today I had a few hours spare so I continued my tidying up of the ending bay. I had some paint in the garage so thought I'd give it a go:

IMG_1616.JPG

After giving the fuel rail guard a clean:

IMG_1613.JPG

Also cleaned and sanded back the engine hoist bracket (I assume this is what it is)

IMG_1614.JPG

I run out of time to re-fit any of the parts but I'm not sure this paint was a good idea as it doesn't seem to be "sticking" very well. I may pop the parts in the oven to see if I can it on, the finish however turned out pretty well:

IMG_1621.JPG

IMG_1617.JPG

IMG_1619.JPG

Its very matt and the finish is better than looks in the pics above but as said I don't think the paint is holding on very well. I have ordered different paint for the inlet so in a worse case I'll just have to start again...

I'm currently redecorating a few rooms at home so once they are complete I'll have more time to work on the Clio.

Tom

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Sorry Tom, ive just realised I never replied to your PM.

Your BMW paint and VHT paint always comes out grey, than black as labeled 😧

No need to apologise.

If I'm not happy with the finish on either the dash or fuel rail guard its not the end of the world, I'll simply re-do.

As said I'm not totally sold on the matt black dash inserts but they are painted too well, I'll stick with them for this summer at least, I think silver would have looked more OEM in hindsight, which you did say!

Last edited:

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Not yet, I'm worried it'll look too high.

I should have more time next weekend so I may get them on. I need to get them on as the Turinis need refurbishing badly but yet again the tyres are OK so want to use them up before I remove them.

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Good effort mate, looking forward to see how it all comes together. I think silver may be better but like I say that matt black on a few selected items may look really good!

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
Love the write up so far. TPI wheel bolts are a great addition. I love them on mine. Can't wait to see the 2118's fitted :grinning:

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Good effort mate, looking forward to see how it all comes together. I think silver may be better but like I say that matt black on a few selected items may look really good!

Yeah looking back I should have done silver but as said they can easily be changed. I'll wait until I've some spare time.

Love the write up so far. TPI wheel bolts are a great addition. I love them on mine. Can't wait to see the 2118's fitted :grinning:

I've not fitted mine yet but will fit them when I fit the 2118's. Maybe this weekend...

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
Yeah looking back I should have done silver but as said they can easily be changed. I'll wait until I've some spare time.

I've not fitted mine yet but will fit them when I fit the 2118's. Maybe this weekend...
Good man!! :grinning:

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Just had a flick through this, ignore what I said in the PM about the engine hoist bracket, it appears you thought it through better than me haha! Nice progress :)

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
ENGINE TIDY (Finished for now!)

So this weekend I had pretty much the whole weekend free so I set about finishing the engine bay and putting it back together.

As said above I wasn't overly pleased with the Hammerite finish and it didn't appear that durable, therefore I decided to copy @Paul.M and got this stuff:

IMG_1655.JPG

Well worth the money, covers really well and leaves a great finish compared to other VHT paints I've used.

With the engine inlet off I first set about cleaning the throttle body, I'm not sure if this is placebo but the car does seem to idle a hell of a lot smoother:

IMG_1656.JPG

TBF I do think it was filthy compared to other pics I've seen.

All off:

IMG_1658.JPG

I then repainted the fuel rail guard:

IMG_1654.JPG

Then I forgot to take any other pics, but I painted the cam cover, inlet, fuel rail guard, engine hanger mount, rocker cover and throttle body and this is the finished article:

Before:

IMG_1547.JPG

After:

IMG_1699.JPG

IMG_1701.JPG

IMG_1703.JPG

I then gave the car a quick wash and polish, there are a few tar stops on the lower part of the car which require some additional work nothing major, but I need to find the time to give it a good going over and a coat of wax, but I run out of day light.

All ready for next weekends meet at The Hare in Roxwell.

IMG_1708.JPG

Last edited:

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Also here is a better pic of the interior dash inserts. As previously said I should have painted them silver as I don't believe the matt black works but I'll it's still a major improvement over what was there originally.

IMG_1634.JPG

I also want to change the air box, as I don't like the look of the Mk1 unit and it also takes up a lot of room! I will look to replace but still unsure what to replace it with.

Last edited:

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Please tell me you got some goodies on?

Unfortunately not :rage:

Saturday afternoon turned into me working until around 9pm and then on Sunday I was working until around midday so the last thing I wanted to do was work on the car!

However this weekend coming I hope to get it all fitted, fingers crossed!

Tom

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Not a massive update more a collection of parts!

Firstly I wasn't happy with the matt black interior panels so I have repainted them in Iceberg Silver:

Sanded them down and gave them a lick of primer:
IMG_2389.JPG

IMG_2390.JPG

Then got the paint ready:
IMG_2391.JPG

After a few coats of paint and sanding it back I gave it a coat of lacquer
IMG_2399.JPG

All finished:
IMG_2405.JPG

I've also been buying a few parts, unfortunately due to life, work & shitty weather I've not yet been able to fit any of them but I'm hoping to get them all fitted within the next few weeks:

GAZ Coilovers, after much toing and froing I went for 350/250 spring rating. Only time will tell if I've made a mistake however if they are too hard or soft I can always change these:
IMG_2271.JPG

I also managed to pick up this:

IMG_2110.PNG

Luckily I had rented a holiday cottage around 20 mins away from where the seller lived so a quick drive down on Easter Monday to pick this up. I've really pleased as I've always wanted one of these since I got the car however I had almost given up hope as I'd seen some really shitty ones sell for silly money. I've given it a clean up since I picked it up and it has come up like new.

Finally I picked up a ph1 stalk to fit once the new wheel is on. I'm also awaiting on a bracket so I can retain the cruise control.

IMG_2272.JPG

As at today I'm currently awaiting on a price from Mark Fish about fitting my coilovers, I'm also going to contact a local garage to me that do work to rally cars as I just don't have spare time to get them fitted.

I'll keep you all posted.

Tom

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
So this weekend has been good!

At short notice @Scrooge was able to fit my Coilovers for me and I'm pleased as punch with the results. I'll let the pics do the talking, although I wish in hindsight I took more pics, I blame the lack of pics on the good company!

A gave the Clio a quick wash this week, this shows how its looked before:
IMG_2484.JPG

One side in progress:
IMG_2507.JPG

Front n/s all complete, although I think we lowered it slightly from this height:
IMG_2504.JPG

On to the rears, a little too low:
IMG_2513.JPG

All done:

IMG_2516.JPG

IMG_2530.JPG
IMG_2528.JPG
IMG_2529.JPG
IMG_2527.JPG

To say I'm pleased is an understatement! I can't thank @Scrooge enough.

I need some spacers for the fronts as the tyres are very close to the Coilovers so I'm looking at getting these this week, although unsure on what size to get either 20mm or 25mm, currently looking at the H&R ones (bolt to hub items).

Once they are all fitted I then need to get it all set up.

Thats all for now!

Tom

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
June 2017 - Update
Since having the coilovers fitted I desperately required spacers to give some clearance between the tyre & coilover. A number of people recommended the H&R items so they purchased from ECP's.
IMG_2562.JPG

Fitting them wasn't as easy as anticipated! When we put the 2118's on the car the powercoat was so thick that they only just fitted over the hub rings! So when I came to fit the spacers I was unable to remove the wheels! They were on sooooooooo f*cking tight! @Scrooge can vouch for this! After spending a good hour attempting to get them off and taking a chunk of paint off the wheel another quick trip to @Scrooge

He worked his magic and got the wheels off and spacers where fitted:
IMG_2586.JPG

Wheels back on:
IMG_2587.JPG

You can see the damage I cause on this pic:
IMG_2569.JPG

I was so pissed off with myself!

Anyway in brighter news I managed to secure a rear Safety Devices Roll Cage, i ideally wanted a full cage which avoids the dash however this came up at a good price and I'm hoping I can locate the front section at a later date:
IMG_2591.JPG

I gave it a quick clean and it's come up like new excluding two marks, which I can live with.

Finally on Saturday I raised the coilovers by 0.75 cm all around as they were rubbing a little too much which has really helped. I may need to raise it slightly more but I'll wait until it has been tracked and camber sorted as which may resolve the rubbing issue.

Finally a pic of how it stands today:
IMG_2605.JPG

Next on the plan is:

1. Tracking
  2. Buy some bucket seat/harnesses/mounts
  3. Fit roll cage
  4. Look out for front cage
  5. Enjoy it!
Once I've completed the list above I just wish to maintain the car get it out on track as often as possible.

I may look at getting the cage and 2118's painted R26.R red (dont know official name) as that mark on the wheels is really going to piss me off!

Tom

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Cage and wheels will look epic in R26.r Red!

I have had a few people, including @Dr Jekyll recommend Lepsons in Kent to do my 2118's however I don't believe they can do the cage, but I imagine any body shop should be ale to do this as long as I can provide the paint code.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Yep any decent body shop or bigger powder coat place could do that.

@Phase1sr whats your chap like?
I have 2 mate and they are both good, but one will do colour matching which comes at a cost where the other you may have to just settle for a close enough match.

So, Vulcan are in Basildon and should be able to get a close match (there is a colour chart on there web site) and will be the cheaper company to deal with. Ask for Dave, ive dealt with him for years.
http://www.vulcanshotblasting.co.uk/

If you want a perfect colour match which may have to be done in wet paint then powder coat clear coat over the top then use Maldon shot blast, they are not cheap mind.
http://www.ctc-powder-coating.co.uk/

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
I have 2 mate and they are both good, but one will do colour matching which comes at a cost where the other you may have to just settle for a close enough match.

So, Vulcan are in Basildon and should be able to get a close match (there is a colour chart on there web site) and will be the cheaper company to deal with. Ask for Dave, ive dealt with him for years.
http://www.vulcanshotblasting.co.uk/

If you want a perfect colour match which may have to be done in wet paint then powder coat clear coat over the top then use Maldon shot blast, they are not cheap mind.
http://www.ctc-powder-coating.co.uk/

Cheers @Phase1sr

I'll contact both, fingers crossed they can match the damaged wheel and then I can get the cage etc all painted once I've damaged the rest!!

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
CAGE FITTED
As detailed above the cage arrived from Safety Devices a few days before I went on Holiday which was a pain, mainly because I couldn't fit both the cage and car in the garage, therefore some extreme measures were required!

IMG_2625.JPG

How I left it!
IMG_2631.JPG

I'll be honest I was worried while I was away however all was fine upon my return.

So this weekend I popped over to @Scrooge to get the cage fitted, a slight delayed in proceedings after a logistics issue getting cage across, it turns out a Clio cage doesn't fit in either a Clio or Golf!

I'll let the pics do to the talking:
IMG_3124.JPG
IMG_3125.JPG
IMG_3136.JPG
IMG_3141.JPG
IMG_3145.JPG
IMG_3164.JPG
IMG_3169.JPG
IMG_3191.JPG

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
IMG_3193.JPG
IMG_3196.JPG
IMG_3208.JPG

I couldn't be happier with the outcome. I require a rear large boot matt, which I'll keep an eye out for and I have a set of bucket seats I'm picking up this weekend.

So all I require now is a set of harnesses and then I'm done (althought I may order a PMS shifter kit)!

There is a large part of me that would like to paint the wheels, cage, dash inserts & wing mirrors all one colour however I'll leave that until a later date and just enjoy the car for now.

I've still yet to get the car aligned however this Saturday I'll try and get it booked in, however I may raise it slightly one night this week, as it still rubs occasionally.

Finally a massive thank you to @Scrooge & Steve for helping sort out the cage and I'll hopefully update you all with the seat etc next weekend!

Tom

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
More purchases...

I purchases a pair of seats from a chap on here at the weekend and my 6 point harnesses also arrived. All going well this weekend I'll be able to fit them all...

Sabelt 6 point harnesses

IMG_3242.JPG

Corbeau Clubsport Seats

IMG_3261.JPG

I may remove the runners from the seats depending on seating position etc but we'll see

Hopefully more updates this weekend.

Tom

Last edited: