ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

38 offset fit mk2 172

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Yes they will, just make sure you get the right tyres NOT 205/40R17 as most people do or it will really slow your car down.

Geordiepaul - what tyre size would you go for then? as I thought that 205/40R17 was the nearest you could get, I know its not as close as it should be, but the closest you can get. And the fact about tyre size slowing you down, its really doesnt make that much difference, but it will make a difference to your speedo readout, making it read slower than you are actually going, wheel size/weight is the big killer to speed - Ive spent ages searching for lightweight alloys, and after all that time Ive still gotta wait until June before I can place my order :(

my alloys with 205/40/17 on it seemed to be doing fine once it was confirmed that i was doing 140+ at the weekend lol but im getting the spedo sorted today hopefully

190 BHP Willy 2

Im sure mk 2 172 offset is et48.

16v, mk1 172 and cup are et38.

So putting et38 on would affect the handling a fair bit. Shame to screw up the handling of a fine car!!

yes with a 195 width it would be closer but it would be undersized so it would look funny just like most of the golfs at the ring did \___/ they look like that on the rim instead of |____|

Thought so, they look as if they dont fit when they are at such angles, then if you have tryes with rim protectors then they wouldnt protect they alloy rim

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Right....I have learnt from experience so here goes. Its not weight as such that kills acceleration but overall diameter of the wheel. A few stats on weight:

My original 172 alloys and tyres = 16.7kg
New Speedline Turinis (205/40R17) = 16.5kg
But

Original Diameter = 582mm
New diameter = 596mm
Thats a 14mm increase! And believe me it makes a difference the only sort of benchmark I have is against my Dads BMW 328i with standard wheels on I can stick to his bumper easily but with the 17s on I fall about 10 car lengths back. Im waiting to go up against Cuppy 172s Cup for the final verdict.

This fall in acceleration can only be down to diameter since the 17s are actually lighter. So...how do you solve the problem? Well you could fit 195/40R17 (these are hard to find as only I can only find Pirelli that make them) which are 588mm in diameter, a better match to the originals ro even better 215/35R17 (these are expensive) which are a perfect match but I am still waiting for confirmation that these will fit without any problems.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 25 April 2003

you really dont loose that much at all trust me

Well how do you explain the difference between my tests?? One I have been out with Cuppy 172 then perhaps he will confirm it too.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Done a search on Google get 2,940,000 results all of them useless :D

Feel free to come and try my 16" wheels and only then will you see the difference :)

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

correct offsets are:

Clio 16v (phase 1 and 2) : 36
Clio 172 Mk1 : 43
Clio 172 Mk2 : 48
Clio 172 Cup : 38.5

Isnt the cup a split offset or did we eventually find out that it was standard front and back with a suspension change at the back? as its track is 20mm wider at the front and only 10mm at the back over a standard mk2 172.