ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

a1axx's Flame red Clio 172 ph2 daily/track hack

Starting a thread of my newly purchased Clio 172!

I'm not a new comer to the track scene, I recently decided to break my Peugeot 205 XL track car, a bit of special one, I built a forged TU5j4 with jenveys for her, completely ground up rebuilt the car and perfected the handling over years of trying different coilovers setups, torsion bars and anti roll bars. I took it to the ring for the 2nd time at Easter, came away with a respectable 8:25 BTG, but still left feeling a bit like I wanted more from the car than the 205 would give.
image.jpg1_zps76ph2mab.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsi7cicmet.jpg

The Clio decision was for a number of reasons. After breaking the 205 I cleared some debts, we all have them, and I was left with a couple of grand to seek something out I can use daily and also on track. My friends have 172's, well two of them are valvers with a 172 engine, and I can tell you the old saying of 'there's no replacement for displacement' springs to mind! Even with 185bhp on tap from the little 1600 and only 800kg to pull, it still struggled with a lethargic midrange. There's no question that with a heavy 172 I'm not going to reap the same cornering thrills, especially going back to an open diff! That said, I'm sick to death of using a track car everyday, with no where really to build it or store it either! It's also been awesome getting back into comfort again, I was quite surprised when I realised it had cruise control, should be good for the next ring trip!

Anyway, without going into it too much, I could have bought a Honda, but without appearing to have questionable sexuality and friends that are experienced with the clio engine, I decided to follow their lead.

So 2 grand in hand, which doesn't buy a lot these days, I set out to pick a Clio 172 to see what all the hype was about, and I found this flamer!

image.jpg2_zpsj5ea0ize.jpg

image.jpg1_zps5jdz65iz.jpg

The car has been laid up for a long time, and has what I've found to be typical problems!

Belts have been done, with no proof, exhaust hanger on the rear perished, thumb grips gone, gearbox dog bone slack, dephaser rattles, cv boots perished bla bla we've all been there!

So in order to spring a new lease of life into the car, before it was driven into the ground I've set out to save it. I could have bought one that was mot'd with all work on paper, but where's the fun in that? I've saved my self £100 and taken on the hassle, but I know when I do it, it's done right!

Parts in the post then:

Genuine belt kit & dephaser plus water pump (also the lend of the Renault tools)
Standard airbox with ram air panel, has some kind of noisey cone currently
Nangkang ns2r 205 45 16 XL 180 tw
Carbon Lorraine pads (once I speak to Ben at Godspeed)
Evol engineering dogbone
Care package from OPIE oils with engine and box oil with filter
Cam shaft seals and the core plugs
Gearbox seals
Russo's thumb grips
New rear mount with a socket cable tied in until the tiger seal arrives, fitted today
Cv boots
Handbrake cables

More than enough to make a start on, fingers crossed by some miricle I have most of it fitted for this weekend, as I would like to take it out for a session at PCAD at Castle Combe to see how I feel about my rash decision to get rid of my 205!!! Not forgetting the bloody mot!

Hope this will be an interesting one to follow, nothing ground breaking, just seeing what I can do with a full ballast Clio sport!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Welcome along.

You chose the best colour as well :)

They go very well as both daily and track. Mine started life as a daily 4 years ago, and it was faultless. Now, well it is a little different now.

The 205 looks great, and 8:25 is a great time too. Any questions about the forum give me or one of the other mods a shout.

Good to see you here lad.

Norris

Cheers son ;). You started it..

Welcome along.

You chose the best colour as well :smile:

They go very well as both daily and track. Mine started life as a daily 4 years ago, and it was faultless. Now, well it is a little different now.

The 205 looks great, and 8:25 is a great time too. Any questions about the forum give me or one of the other mods a shout.

Yea I can't really fault how it drives, apart from the power steering is a tad light, though I guess it's more to do with not having PAS for almost 5 years! Handles lovely and precise, lift off over steers, can't ask for more!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Cheers son :wink:. You started it..

Yea I can't really fault how it drives, apart from the power steering is a tad light, though I guess it's more to do with not having PAS for almost 5 years! Handles lovely and precise, lift off over steers, can't ask for more!

You can do an EPAS conversion on them, for about £250 and the time to fit it. Means you can turn it to non-PAS for track work, and then dial the PAS back on for road work. I'm doing mine at some point in the near future.

You can do an EPAS conversion on them, for about £250 and the time to fit it. Means you can turn it to non-PAS for track work, and then dial the PAS back on for road work. I'm doing mine at some point in the near future.
I believe norris is also on that aswell, sounds like a good conversion, and also one less thing the engine must turn! I would already have withdrawals from the air con, I feel like Im in a rolls royce!! So will definitely keep that

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I believe norris is also on that aswell, sounds like a good conversion, and also one less thing the engine must turn! I would already have withdrawals from the air con, I feel like Im in a rolls royce!! So will definitely keep that

Yeah it is reasonably straight forward. I kept my aircon right up until recently, when I had to lose it for the supercharger.

Otherwise it would still be there, track car or not.

So, it's been quiet with the cars recently, but I managed to sort the few main things it needs for the MOT.

Handbrake cables, Pagid ones, all fitted and tensioned perfect

Lemforder ball joints are fitted. The old ones were absolutely knackered!
IMG-20150502-WA0005_zpsmx2zruxz.jpg

I fitted some camber bolts. They have made the turn in more responsive, I like how it feels. Also looks quite nice.
20150502_152322_HDR_zpsusltheaq.jpg

IMG_20150503_114011_zpsbdfanczo.jpg

Angel eye/ Lexus light things removed. I had to splice new plugs onto the loom as they had been cut off!!
20150503_104344_HDR_zpsqoert52t.jpg

IMG_20150503_114113_zpskpnofxbw.jpg

Well deserved oil change too. It came out in chunks!

IMG-20150430-WA0026_zpsa8e3hp6k.jpg

It's not my usual cup of tea, but the doors had been wrapped badly with carbon, and had light cut scratches from a blade.. I re wrapped them

IMG-20150430-WA0003_zpsaacjeihq.jpg

Next on the to do:

Fit the NS2-R's when they show up
Order Bilstein B14's and PMS top mounts (convinced myself they are necessary!)
Tracking
New belt /dephaser and water pump waiting to go on
Selector seal mod made by TND to fit, haven't got around to it

Okay. Fitted the TND fn10 kit from Mapco. It's easy to fit, but the gators etc on the selector lever are easy to tear so bear it in mind. I have to replace 1.

I followed the instructions as per the videos online

YouTube tnd fn10!

Firstly I think a lot of people find the little white plastic insert to be the cause of their leak, I believe both my selector seal and bush leaked.

Here is the part in question

20150504_162245_HDR_zpsxftvl5aw.jpg

20150504_162314_HDR_zpshjktpefu.jpg

20150504_162307_HDR_zpsj8xwbmam.jpg

The black rubber seal on it was persished badly. Oil seemed to collect in the bush.

Anyway, I was in a bit of a pickle as I needed to drive home and put sealant above the bush, it seems to have stopped the leak so far.

I'm leaving the lower engine cover off to keep an eye on things

20150504_184350_HDR_zpsef3j8s2k.jpg

So far so good

Topped back up with some millers box oil it seems to be good as gold. It only had 1l of oil in the box from the previous owner... So I will be keeping an eye on it.

Also got some work done on the Mrs's Gti today
(Work in progress lights are coming off!)
20150504_184137_HDR_zpsb1f8dbkg.jpg

Cheers

Josh

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Looks well mate, Flame Red is such a great colour!

MAPCO seal definately a diy job then? I need to sort mine out.

And did you buy a new seal for the white plastic socket? Or did you use sealant?

Looks well mate, Flame Red is such a great colour!

MAPCO seal definately a diy job then? I need to sort mine out.

And did you buy a new seal for the white plastic socket? Or did you use sealant?

Yea I changed it on axle stands bud.
Usual socket set
Circlip pliers
Side cutters (snips)

I didn't change the bush seal bud as I wasnt expecting it to be sealed off the way it was, it should be separate from thw box oil but in fact it isnt! I used sealant but need to buy a new bush to he honest with you, it started seaping from there again but not as bad!

IMG-20150606-WA0004_zpsq9mtdhky.jpg

So, eventually got my NS2Rs on and I really like how it is looking, I need to back the camber off though, it's a bit extreme..
It will all be sorted after fitting these :), just ordered b14's.
-Gewindefahrwerk-fuer-RENAULT-CLIO-II-BB0-1-2-CB0-1-2-20-16V-Sport-CB0M-47-087750_b3_zps007jeqm3.jpg

It's been an up and down week of my Clio ownership.

Firstly after a clean and polish, this happened..

IMG-20150620-WA0014_zpsigowvjaa.jpg

Disaster.. Although with the fabia splitter, it was at least looking better

20150620_163700_HDR_zpspqyp2ndu.jpg

Coilovers arrived.. They look amazing. Glad I went for bilsteins, Roxie got a set for her 106 too :)

IMG_20150629_183032_zpsc1svvaft.jpg

20150629_175544_zpsftsm0yxv.jpg

20150630_141337_zpswabtro5m.jpg

20150630_141354_zpserlo6vxu.jpg

Lastly a few friends and I started on the roof graphics.. More to come :)
20150627_125849_zpsogfzrxki.jpg

20150627_130043_zpsnkt5kvik.jpg

A little marmite, but trust me when finished they will help it stand out on track :)!

So with castle combe looming on the 1st of August, I've had to get my finger out. I just ordered a ph1 head from Tim Finch. Hopefully just a fit and forget that the valve bending ever happened...

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Nightmare! Did the old belt snap?

How is your selector seal fix holding up? I need to do mine but heard reports of them leaking again!

Slipped on the crank mate... Not the end of the world but I didnt want to spend too much on engine bits!

It leaks a bit still mate yea.. Im just topping up until I get a nice gbox

How is your selector seal fix holding up? I need to do mine but heard reports of them leaking again!

My Ph1 head arrived today from Tim Finch! Of course the exhasut ports are different, but check out the inlet side differences...
20150703_110239_zps5lyy8xhg.jpg

PH1
20150703_105915_zpszsxdgjmr.jpg

PH2
20150703_110046_zpseoxod5rk.jpg

I think my driveshaft seal is leaking mate, looked under it today as it's been parked in the w/shop for a week, it's dripping from all round the side of the box onto the linkages, there's just no way it can only leak from the selector seal and drip off the parts it's leaking from!

Bought a very beautiful steering wheel!!

Cruise retro fit in progress :)

20150706_123832_zpseyglz5yw.jpg

20150706_125439_zpsoucuvnnd.jpg

Lettering is etched, edges look absolutely spot on, polished finish!

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
I think my driveshaft seal is leaking mate, looked under it today as it's been parked in the w/shop for a week, it's dripping from all round the side of the box onto the linkages, there's just no way it can only leak from the selector seal and drip off the parts it's leaking from!

Hmm I thought similar!

Megane 250
Bought a very beautiful steering wheel!!

Cruise retro fit in progress :)

20150706_123832_zpseyglz5yw.jpg

20150706_125439_zpsoucuvnnd.jpg

Lettering is etched, edges look absolutely spot on, polished finish!

Considered making these? I'd have one for when I eventually get an after market wheel.

Considered making these? I'd have one for when I eventually get an after market wheel.

Yes Josh I will make a small run of about 10 in the next couple of weeks. Id like to get a couple of hundred miles testing it out, strip it all done and check everything after etc. It will all be properly soldered/heat shrinked and routed to the original plug.. Once I find out the name of the oem plug!

Megane 250
Yes Josh I will make a small run of about 10 in the next couple of weeks. Id like to get a couple of hundred miles testing it out, strip it all done and check everything after etc. It will all be properly soldered/heat shrinked and routed to the original plug.. Once I find out the name of the oem plug!

Oooooh brilliant, PM me when you are and I'll defo have one!

I'm sure you commented on my post on UK French owners about the track cars, a picture of your 205 at the ring?

Oooooh brilliant, PM me when you are and I'll defo have one!

I'm sure you commented on my post on UK French owners about the track cars, a picture of your 205 at the ring?

Haha yea the old monkey! Had many ups and downs in that little car, dragged me around the ring with some daft pace though, bless it

Got any videos?

I plan on putting my 106 GTi track car on itbs for next summer.

3.57 dude ;).. The vid of my 8.25

My youtube channel is joshgault61, there are a lot of vids of it on there, sadly none of when it was forged! Brilliant car but I'll be honest, a healthy clio wasnt far off it power wise, and it had 185 bhp!!