ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Actual stripped out weights?

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Looking to get an idea an what actual measured weight people have managed to get there track/race cars down too.

Had mine weighed today an with a passenger seat, half a tank of fuel, 8point cage, full glass and electric windows it came in at 939kg

dan's cast offs.
six point cage, stripped interior, plastic side and rear windows, all metal panels and weighs in at 860kg with about 1/3 tank of fuel.

i reckon you could easily get one under 800kg.

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
That's pretty light. I know I've a good saving to make by removing the glass in favour of polycarbonate windows. Can't see how I could get to sub 900 without fibreglass boot an removing the bottom dash

dan's cast offs.
you'd definitely need composite doors and tailgate. there's a lot of the loom you can get rid of as well. then you start getting expensive, ti nuts and bolts etc, lighter suspension, shafts, wheels etc...

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Loom is pretty bare as is, removed all heater/AC wiring, stereo wiring, rear wiper and heated screen wiring. Heater is removed aswel, i think i will order up polycarbs and FG tailgate. Target has always been 900kg

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
GRP bonnet would be a good one. Gets weight out of the front end that way, which is useful.

Aluminium bonnet with the innards out already so not much to save there. I was ideally looking to get to 900kg without Composite panels, i'm sure its possible just looking for ideas from others as to how to achieve it

dan's cast offs.
The cage will be the thing that holds you back that little bit. It's doable to 900 though easy enough.

What you got left of the dash?

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
The cage will be the thing that holds you back that little bit. It's doable to 900 though easy enough.

What you got left of the dash?

The cage at a guess will be 40kg of added weight. Dash wise i have the full Ph1 dash, all be it completely gutted behind as no heater/stereo etc. I will save 20kg converting to polycarbs (as ill gut the doors and remove the crash bar etc). The final 20kg is where i will struggle, remove passenger seat an that's 10kg

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Assume you're already running 15" wheels? I saved approx 2kg a tyre (without alloys) by swapping from 16" Avons to 15" Direzzas (182 alloys to Oz's so there's a fair bit of saving there too)

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Yip already on 15's. I have a trackday tomorrow evening, after that I'm going to make a few changes an see what I can get it down to whilst maintaining all steel panels

If the car had a fibreglass boot, doors gutted, poly windows, gutted bonnet, full interior stripped and 15s would it be possible to get below 900kg without spending crazy money?

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Yes
Mine 925 with 3/4 of full tank.
Mines stripped out roll cage poly windows and 1 bucket seat.
I'm gunna cut the bonnet skin, doors, boot and then weigh it again.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Yip already on 15's. I have a trackday tomorrow evening, after that I'm going to make a few changes an see what I can get it down to whilst maintaining all steel panels

Can I ask why? I'm honestly not trolling here I just don't understand the point?

Are you a Lewis Hamilton-esque driver and being held back by the bulky Clio?

It just seems like a lot of bother for nothing, like, if it weights 925 or 899 you're still going to enjoy the track day just as much.

I understand removing weight for handling/acceleration but not chasing every single kg...

mine was 1005kg on scales at knockhill with about quarter of a tank in it.
Thats stripped inside with a pair of buckets. Full dash, electric glass and cage.

Mine will be heavier than standard I reckon, its got the rear and passenger seat out but the MSV cage is around 25kg and the Corbeau Clubsport XL with runner, sub frame and side mounts is defo heavier than the standard drivers seat. I just really cant be arsed stripping the rest of it to gain half a second on track.

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
@Rob as I plan to take part in SLS at Knockhill later this year and next an it runs a bhp per tonne class system. To be competitive I have worked out I need to be at roughly 900kg for the class I want to take part in.

@Rob as I plan to take part in SLS at Knockhill later this year and next an it runs a bhp per tonne class system. To be competitive I have worked out I need to be at roughly 900kg for the class I want to take part in.
I am also looking at building a SLS car for next season, what class are you entering? And are you keeping it fairly standard power wise?

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
@KieranM at the moment E. seems the place to be in a clio, potentially would look at D but not convinced the clio is capable of competing in that class

@scotiamr2t yeah I was just having a look at the competitors in E and there is a fair few clios, most of which look like they've got a very good spec so it should be interesting!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Then that's a bloody good reason! Crack on!

As I said it was in no way a dig, I just didn't understand chasing every last kg!

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Then that's a bloody good reason! Crack on!

As I said it was in no way a dig, I just didn't understand chasing every last kg!

It wasn't taken as a dig mate so no worries there. The forum is good for alternative views and opinions hence my post on here. As you say if I was just doing trackdays it would be left as is as it's reliable and mega fun

Mine weighed in at 1015kg today with a 1/4 tank.

172, rear cage, rear fully stripped, buckets, no A/C, carbon cannister, lightweight front doorcards.

Still need to remove all the tar/sound deadening

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
I of course like to compare our car vs everyone else's but there's so much discrepancy in all of the figures quoted, simply because you're not all quoting the same figure. The correct industry standard is to weigh the car with full fluids (unladen weight). The fuel mass is around 30kg for example. It's also worth noting that a stripped out car is all well and good to get a headline figure, but for real performance you need a full cage and a weld in cage adds quite a lot of stiffness.

We have a full weld in cage, with fibreglass bonnet, polycarbonate side and rear windows, 15 inch wheels & tyres plus custom larger front brakes and we weigh in at (unladen weight) 940kg. So, it is possible to get under 900kg without a cage and maybe further, but it'll be a pretty crap to drive car at that!

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
I of course like to compare our car vs everyone else's but there's so much discrepancy in all of the figures quoted, simply because you're not all quoting the same figure. The correct industry standard is to weigh the car with full fluids (unladen weight). The fuel mass is around 30kg for example. It's also worth noting that a stripped out car is all well and good to get a headline figure, but for real performance you need a full cage and a weld in cage adds quite a lot of stiffness.

We have a full weld in cage, with fibreglass bonnet, polycarbonate side and rear windows, 15 inch wheels & tyres plus custom larger front brakes and we weigh in at (unladen weight) 940kg. So, it is possible to get under 900kg without a cage and maybe further, but it'll be a pretty crap to drive car at that!

There isn't from having a quick skim read, too much discrepancy in this thread. fuel an spec of cage being the main differences. Regarding the fuel weight you refer to as full fluids, nobody runs there car with a full tank when competing (unless endurance racing). Race weight is more akin to 1/4 of a tank or maybe 1/3rd dependent on circuit an race distance

If full fluids, unladen weights are what you want to compare to i recently weighed mine with a few more changes whilst having a full tank of fuel, 8 point cage, all glass, electric windows, all steep panels, 15" wheels an was 934kg.