ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice on first proper detail...

Black Gold 182 ff
Hi,

I'm finally going to get a machine polisher and give my 2.5 year old black gold 182 a serious going over. I'm getting a G220 with the Menzerna polishes/pads. This is what I plan to do:
  • Wash with Megs Gold Class
  • Clay with Megs Quick Clay
  • Menzerna Intensive Polish (PO85RD3.02) using Compounding Pad
  • Menzerna Final Finish (PO106FA) using Polishing Pad
  • Seal with EGP
  • Wax with Swissvax Onyx
A couple of q's...

Is going straight in with Intensive Polish and a Compounding Pad too much or should I use a Polishing pad with the Intensive polish? I don't think the car's had a decent polish since new and is moderately swirled.

Will the EGP bond onto the Final Finish okay? I've got loads of SRP so should I give it a coat of this between these two stages?

Any other advice greatfully received.

Cheers,
Kris

Chocolate Bar™
i would try the IP with a polishing head to see what level of correction is achieved. if your not happy you could then move onto a cutting/compounding head.

A well built VW
Always start with the lesser cutting polish (PO106FA) then you can move up if its not working

Personally i would loose the EGP for some Werkstat Acrylic Jett or Blitz

Shed.
your ment to start with the lesser of the cutting polishes, if its heavily swialed id start with intensive polish on a polishing pad, and then move onto the cutting pad if needed. good choice of polishes, i presume your going to get the sonus sfx pads with the menz polish ?

The process sounds good, and the products your using sound good too.

106 GTi
Black Gold 182 - start with the IP and a Menzerna Polishing pad or Sonus SFX Light cut pad straight off lol!

Worth trying the Final Finish on a polishing pad first if you want, but the above will almost 100% be needed.

You are best laying down a coat of SRP to allow the EGP to bond, but it is summer and nice I would probably go straight from Final Finish to the Onyx

Black Gold 182 ff
Thanks for the replies chaps.

I'm looking at the Menzerna G220 package from CYC so it'll be all Menzerna polishes/pads to start with.

One other thing - it's okay to follow the above process on my stone-chipped bonnet isn't it?

106 GTi
The stone chips may look worse as they will fill up with polish - good time to touch them in and wet sand before you polish.