ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Albi Blue 197 R27 #459

Ok I need some advice. The time has come to replace the manifold as the blowing has got to point where it pisses me off so much I need to replace it. Looking around the forums it seems people have bought a lot of Toyosports, but the general opinion is they're shite... and the rub on the subframes. Welding the flexis seems to cost as much if not more than a Toyosports mani, but seems like I might be better off doing that. OR... get one from KTec and go balls deep into my bank account.... With a remap and fitting I expect it'll be close to £1000 right?

Is there any inbetween a Toyosports & KTec? Have Toyosports improved their repuation in recent years because most threads I see are quite old? Could do with some help before I make a decision. Thanks guys!

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I was going to get the flexis replaced but was told it was a pain in the arse by my mechanic.

I bought a manifold off eBay from something like UK performance. I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same as a toyosport. Make sure you replace the engine mounts with powerflex ones to stop it hitting the subframe. I think I did 3 of them, (the stabiliser, lower gearbox and one other?) I think.

It's been perfectly fine for me, a KTEC would no doubt be better but I wouldn't say it's worth the difference.

I was going to get the flexis replaced but was told it was a pain in the arse by my mechanic.

I bought a manifold off eBay from something like UK performance. I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same as a toyosport. Make sure you replace the engine mounts with powerflex ones to stop it hitting the subframe. I think I did 3 of them, (the stabiliser, lower gearbox and one other?) I think.

It's been perfectly fine for me, a KTEC would no doubt be better but I wouldn't say it's worth the difference.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I dont really want to spend £600 on a manifold, but Im pretty sure it has a KTec back box so It would be nice to marry it up. Cant find any from UK Performance on EBay, guess I'll have to just keep a look out.

So I think I'm just going to get a cheap mani off EBay, and get some new engine mounts in there to stop the knocking. It needs a gearbox refurb sticking in there too, so that, plus a new manifold and take into account its probably going to need a remap I'm probably looking at £1400 or somewhere close. Can't reeeally justify the £600 of the KTec. This will be organised soon. Told my Mrs its £200... Don't think she believes me.

Had a new set of rubber on, decided on some GoodYear Eagle F1. Feels a lot better to be honest. Last owner stuck 4 different brands on... so it was nice to finally get them off for winter.

Also had my steering wheel refurbed by Royal Steering Wheels. They did a great job. Well chuffed with the end product. Also bought a steering wheel insert for £16 off EBay to finish the job. Looks nice and feels so much better than the peeling mess I was previously steering my car with. Hopefully more updates soon. Could do with a lottery win.

Steering_zpsde6o5tqc.jpg

Nothing really much to update with. Bought a rear caliper off EBay as mine had siezed. It was £40, had my cousin blast it today and getting the bolts/parts zinc plated tomorrow so should be like new when its fitted. Hes a little before and after, need to spray it some time next week.

1_zpsyuox8jvy.jpg

Had a quote to repair the damaged seat bolsters, guy said it would cost £400 to repair both sides... I've seen whole new bases on EBay for £250 so might just get brand new. As for the interior of the car its one of the last things letting it down, so Im kind of eager to get them done, but I still need a new gearbox and manifold so I think they'll have to wait somehow.

The money pit is growing.....

Little update.

Painted the caliper I bought off EBay, came out pretty well to be fair for a first time job. The finish would have been better if I would have got it powder coated to be fair, but its not come out bad at all. Got all the bolts nickel plated too, came up mint. Looks miles better than when I bought em off EBay anyway!

1_zpspvdy2jgi.jpg

Also bought some HEL braided brake lines to fit in the future. I'd like to pull all the calipers off, rebuild them and paint them back up but I have no where for the car to sit so Its a bit s**t really. Maybe a job for the summer.

Also bought new discs and pads all round. I've not liked the brakes since I bought the car this time last year and they look a bit worse for wear. At least this way I can stick them on and not worry about them for another couple of years.

3_zpsvf7nphtu.jpg

Next up was the manifold. Only ones I could find for the right money were the ToyoSports. Heard mixed reviews, but I think with some powerflex engine mounts they dont rub on the subframe so I think we'll be ok on that front. I would have really liked to match the rear exhaust and bought a KTEC but for £600+.... f**k that. Paid £180. Rather buy 3 of these than one of them.

5_zps1l2png8c.jpg

Another thing on the list was to fill the arches. Bought some H&R 25mm spacers and fit them straight away. Makes the cars stance 10x better, not really noticed anything with the handling but I guess I wont pottering around country roads and nipping to the shops. Such a good visual upgrade imo.

2_zpsct8ekd4n.jpg

Lastly a question for other R27 owners. Why do my stickers have white spots on them? I thought it might be salt from the gritters but it also appears in summer so Im not too sure. Any tips for getting rid of them?

4_zpswdn9sshi.jpg

The tax man had a lovely Christmas from me, so work on the car might slow down a bit for a couple of months while my bank balance recovers. :L

The car is coming together really well.

Those marks that are on your stickers are water marks. The sun has 'baked' the water onto the sticker. It happens to paint too but it's less noticeable. I'd suggest a really good clean, if that doesn't work, you'll need to replace them if you want then to be perfect.

Have you upgraded your induction kit yet? If not, this may be where you're getting all that crud in your mani from

The car is coming together really well.

Those marks that are on your stickers are water marks. The sun has 'baked' the water onto the sticker. It happens to paint too but it's less noticeable. I'd suggest a really good clean, if that doesn't work, you'll need to replace them if you want then to be perfect.

Have you upgraded your induction kit yet? If not, this may be where you're getting all that crud in your mani from
They do kinda come off with a really good scrub, but then come back just as quick. I did apply plastic restorer thinking it would give them a protective coat but it doesnt seem to do too much. Ah well. :smile:

Induction kit hasn't been replaced but repaired. Crap cant get through anymore. Its on the list of things to sort though. There doesnt seem a place for those types of induction kits to sit properly, its kinda just sat there, zip tied to the engine bay. Looks.... half arsed and annoys me each time I look at it. :L

Nice project this mate, really warmed to the 197 in this colour.

I'm tempted to make the move from mine to something like this just for a change.

Sadly as part of owning some cars I guess there is still things that will need renewing, shame the gearboxes arent stronger, I had to do mine a year and a bit ago, don't know if I can be bothered with all that again!

Very nice upgrades though mate keep it up.

Clio F1 197 Cup
Making some really great progress here mate. Keep cracking on at it, another 197 being cared for is great to see. Looks like the previous owner/owners ruined the car but glad to see it has finally found a good home.

Lots to update on but no pictures as yet.

Took it down to midlands Renault last week to have the new discs, pads, brake lines, engine mounts & manifold fitted. Mark did a great job as usual. Sounds mint, the blowing on the exhaust really started to piss me off the past couple months so its a relief to hear it sound like a 197 again. Will have to get a video uploaded soon. :smile: The new mounts cause a lot of vibration, but the feel of the car is much improved, and its only really when it sits at idle do you notice it.

With the new manifold came a remap. Drove up to RSTuning last week to get it done. Apparently the previous owners had a map put on it, but it was s**t... (ignition timings were just ramped up to dangerous levels), didnt see much of an increase in BHP, I think the Toyosports manifold actually loses around 6BHP, but on the day we gained 3BHP. Its now making 187.9BHP, and more importantly the dreaded flat spot has been completely ironed out. Pulls well now through the rev range and feels so much better to drive, totally reccomend a remap if you have flat spot issues. :smile:

Couple more things now, when the dodgy mechanic near my gaff replaced the steering wheel, he ripped off the... squib? So now the airbag wont work, the dashboard lights up and what I found out to be even worse is the traction control flicks on, when you're doing 70.... on the f**king motorway. Nearly killed myself.... Taking it back down to Midlands Renault this week sometime to get a 2nd hand one fitted.

Last major thing to replace is the gearbox, 2nd gear crunching is really spoiling the drive now but it'll have to be next month. And when I have the extra cash I really need to get the seats reupholstered/replaced as the tears in them are pissing me off. Apart from that the car is running & looking the best it has done since I owned her. Spent way too much f**king money on it.... but its great to see it in finally coming together.

Gaz.

So missed a speedbump and pretty much hit the left side of it at 20ish...

Cars making a noise, on the left front side of the suspension similar to when the front springs were snapped a while back. Seems fine over larger bumps, but over small holes and things it makes a clunking noise. Propper fucked off with myself. Had the wheel off today and the spring looks fine, no idea where the noise is coming from. (Im a terrible mechanic).

Any ideas what I could have fucked up?

With any luck the gearbox will be fitted next week, its being re-built at the minute.

Bought a front splitter off EBay today, would like to go the whole hog and buy the skirts but its a little too much money this month.

Lastly can anyone reccomend a good place for getting seats refurbished? I was quoted nearly £400 just for the bolster being repaired from a place near me, so god knows how much they would charge for 2 seats! I live in Manchester, but Im willing to travel if the price is right and they're decent.

Thanks chaps!

Ordered a new gear knob. Bit of a problem.
Old one seems to have a plastic insert, which looks almost impossible to get out... new one doesnt.
Does anyone know how to get the old insert out? Or can I order the part? Thanks for the help!
IMG_20170512_210143_zpsbic5cfjq.jpg

Sorted the gear knob now. Put it back on and pulled it off and the insert stayed on the stick. Feel like an idiot....

In other news just had a quote to spray the entire right side of the car. £400 approx. Does this seem cheap?! Need the front wing doing, door, and rear panel.
IMG_20160404_122209_zps5hspx2xi.jpg

Might book it in, expected double that to be fair.
Door needs a re-spray due to the wind catching it and it swinging into one of the nuts and f**king the check strap. Apparently I'll have to lose the side sticker... Bit of a ballache & I guess I'll have to remove the other side too. Not paying £180+ for the official ones off Ebay. :L

Rear panel some knob jockey keyed.

Still waiting on the gearbox from the shop, but should be in soon. :)

Clio F1 197 Cup
£400 seems reasonable but they always say it depends on the quality of the work. God bodyshops are hard to come by and I can't imagine Albi Blue being an easy colour to match. It seems a shame to be losing its original stickers though :( I personally would probably leave the paint for now- is it that bad?

When you get a chance, chuck up a picture of the scratch on the rear quarter...
Its a pretty hefty one someone keyed it so it squiggles along the side for about 20"
Theres also one there near the fuel cap that was done before I got it, and its about 0.5mm deep, its a short one but super deep.
I'll post some pics tomorrow though.

Better picture of the keying here. Bit of a shitter.
3213213_zpsgyd76fur.jpg

Better news I painted the hubs today. Should have done it when I bought the discs... but didnt get round to it before fitting so I had to spend a few hours cleaning the rust of them. It was only light so wasn't too bad.

Guess these are the first shots of the car with the spacers, & new springs too.
32131_zpshw2sesoa.jpg

321321321_zps8zpx7uxr.jpg

Booked in next Wednesday at Midlands Renault for a recon gearbox, squibb (guy who fitted my steering wheel ripped mine off).... & RS front splitter fitting. Undecided on the skirts too... maybe one step too chavy... I do like them though.

Clio F1 197 Cup
Steering wheel looks great! I'd probably leave that scratch personally- if you fancied the challenge you could make it looks significantly better with some touch up paint and a friend with a machine polisher.

Its not just the scratch, its the door, and its annoying me everytime I look at it. I'll be honest I was expecting a lot more than £400 for a respray so I might just bite the bullet and get it done. Its one of them, other people might not notice it too much, but I see it and focus on it everytime I get in the car! However, gearbox and other stuff comes first, its at the bottom of a long list.

Drove to Midlands Renault yesterday to have a few things sorted on the car.

Fitted a front splitter, new thermostat, air con re-gassed & new top mount. Looks nice with the splitter.... now I want the skirts. Nightmare.

2132_zpshszpzafx.jpg

Went for a little drive today. Cars developed a strange knock on the rear end, cant work out where its coming from. Sounds like exhaust/boot but I've ragged it and it feels solid and secure. Gonna have a closer look tomorrow, wondered if it might be a common fault?!

Damaged the top mount over a speed bump last month, so wondering if I've done something to the rear too?! Thinking about buying the skirts to match the splitter now too. :L

Anyway photos.
1_zpsj9ucs6v7.jpg

22_zpsers0odf5.jpg

333_zpsd7clhehw.jpg

f**king Photobucket.

Had the drivers side of the car resprayed due to the damage on the door, and the keying incident. Was charged £550 in total, decent job and they took a mysterious dent out near the rear spolier on the roof too. The downside was they had to remove the drivers side decal. I've played with the idea of removing the decals before and this gave me the nudge needed to just do it. I understand its personal preference, and something that makes the R27 special but yeah... I actually think it looks better at the moment. Maybe I'll regret it in the future.

Clio F1 197 Cup
Looking good mate, my R27 had the side and roof decals removed from factory, just the front and rear ones on mine- I prefer it!

Had some more work done. Found the knock was due to the left side tail pipe being a little too high so it was banging on the underside of the bumper. Sorted that. Apart from that I've had the skirts fitted and thats about it. Looking to get the Megane conversion & full detail done some time over winter now. Apart from that the car is almost where I want it.

Last edited:

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I've just read all this and wow you've put some cash into it! It looks great though now and must be one of very few R27 in albi blue. I'd replace the graphics if it were mine, but carry on looking after it as you are mate, it's great.

I've just read all this and wow you've put some cash into it! It looks great though now and must be one of very few R27 in albi blue. I'd replace the graphics if it were mine, but carry on looking after it as you are mate, it's great.
Yeah I've put way more money into it that I thought I would, the mrs isn't too happy about it but its pretty much all I spend my extra cash on. Not too sure how I can convince her that a Megane conversion is £200... but we'll find out. Thanks mate!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I've put way more money into it that I thought I would, the mrs isn't too happy about it but its pretty much all I spend my extra cash on. Not too sure how I can convince her that a Megane conversion is £200... but we'll find out. Thanks mate!
Lol buy a megane, swap engine and sell the rest of the Meg. That's how it'll cost £200[emoji106]
It'll still be a massive achievement if you can convince her in doors though. [emoji23][emoji23]

So I just bought a 200 diffuser, you guys know what I need to do to modify my exhaust so it fits/doesnt burn holes in the new one?
Is it just a case of me buying some tips, so it fits?
Thanks! :)