ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alloy wheel refurb?

My standard 182 anthracite colour wheels are looking kerbtastic and I wondered what the going rate is to get them looking new again?

Can anyone recommend someone in or near Buckinghamshire?

Failing that, is it easy enough to prep them myself and respray them using a spray can or will that look as crap as I think it might? I'm concerned they'll look dull due to the kind of lacquer you get from Halfords.

Thanks

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I refurbed a wheel I bought for a spare a few years ago . It was badly scratched and needed a bit of metal filler .
I used Isopon metalik filler
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006I4ABCY/?tag=cliospnet01-21
And I had my paint mixed at a local motor factors . Since then , the go to place for anthracite paint seems to be Autopaint in St.Helens. The paint code is 205-110.
You need a bit of time , patience . Good preparation i.e keeping the surfaces clean and grease free are important.
https://www.auto-paint.co.uk/autopaint/
pic13-1.jpg

pic1Small.jpg

pic4Small.jpg

pic3Small.jpg

pic6Small.jpg

pic8Small.jpg

pic7Small.jpg

pic14.jpg
pic13-2.jpg

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Thanks very much for your advice I will look into this :smile: amazing results by the way!
Thanks . Don't forget your car will be off the road for a few days while you do it . Your best bet if you're going down the DIY refurb route is to get a spare with a tyre and do one at a time :wink:

Thanks . Don't forget your car will be off the road for a few days while you do it . Your best bet if you're going down the DIY refurb route is to get a spare with a tyre and do one at a time :wink:

Cheers yeah I was just thinking that - I guess I could just buy a naff old 172/182 wheel from a scrap yard while I do refurb each wheel :) As mine's a 182 as well it didn't come with a spare :(

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Cheers yeah I was just thinking that - I guess I could just buy a naff old 172/182 wheel from a scrap yard while I do refurb each wheel :smile: As mine's a 182 as well it didn't come with a spare 😧
That's your best bet , get one with a useable tyre then keep swapping them round , that way you can keep your car on the road :smile:

Did you guys lacquer the wheels after? I want my wheels to look as good as that so I'll attempt this soon once I've found a spare wheel at the scrappy

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Did you guys lacquer the wheels after? I want my wheels to look as good as that so I'll attempt this soon once I've found a spare wheel at the scrappy

I didn't, they started satin so I finished them satin.

I'll be redoing mine in the next couple of weeks but I'll be lacquering them.

They'll be going bmw space grey as soon as I'm happy with how I spray it lol

Today's test piece with horribly wrong gun settings
image.jpeg

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
How many cans does it take to do a set of wheels? I might have a go myself if it doesn't work out dearer than a refurb place. [emoji38]

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
How many cans does it take to do a set of wheels? I might have a go myself if it doesn't work out dearer than a refurb place. [emoji38]

I used one 750ml primer tin borrowed from work then two satin black tins iirc for all four wheels

The filler was less than a tenner I think but obviously I've got that for the future now.

The invoice for the Beamer paint, thinner, hardener, and clear coat came to £95! So it gets fairly expensive the more 'professional' you go

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
@MRBILLYUK did you paint the centre caps too, what did you do about the chrome diamond, just mask it ?
The centre cap was pretty much mint so It didn't need painting . I made a template out of cardboard so I didn't spray inside the wheel where the bolts go ( as you can see in one of the pics).