ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator on fire

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Evening all,

The stop and battery light have been on my 182 for a while now. I put a new battery on a couple weeks ago hoping that would be the issue, which it wasnt. I dont use the 182 as a daily anymore so havnt drove it much sine the new battery went on.

It has been starting fine without any issues.

Today i moved the car off the drive to wash and while doing the wheels i noticed a strong smell of fire and then smoke coming from the engine bay area. Luckily i had the hose ready with me so managed to squirt the alternator to stop any flames going up. I also have always kept a spanner in the glove box incase of battery failure so managed to disconect the battery straight away.

The issue i now have is that i cant drive to a garage to have it fixed so im going to try and find someone who can come to me at home to fix it.

Will i need to put a new aux belt on? I had the major service done last year and have covered around 2k miles only since then.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like an internal short on the alternator. Luck you were there, could have lost the car to a fire.

Couldnt believe it. If i hadnt got the bucket and hose ready first before I moved the car it would have been up in flames!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Aren't the water pumps driven off the timing belt on 1*2s?

I can't remember offhand, but what I do remember is Dan@SJM shredding the aux belt at Combe, cutting it off, and I'm pretty sure he had to keep stopping to prevent the engine from overheating whilst getting it back. May be wrong.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Take the electrical connections off the alternator and cable tie them out the way. Charge your battery up fully. This will allow you to drive enough distance to a garage.
I would not advise cutting the aux belt! With the alternator disconnected it will just act as a pulley.

A decent garage should be able to change alternator fairly easily.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Take the electrical connections off the alternator and cable tie them out the way. Charge your battery up fully. This will allow you to drive enough distance to a garage.
I would not advise cutting the aux belt! With the alternator disconnected it will just act as a pulley.

But then you're still spinning the alternators internals and generating the heat..

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Shouldn't do as unless it is seized. No heat will be generated otherwise. It will be an intenal fault in the alternator that caused it to ignite.
I have had the same problem(although I got an electrical burning smell as opposed to a fire) and this has worked on both occasions. Got me 12 miles home a few weeks ago.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
I can buy a new alternator from Renault. They are £180 so thats OK. I just need to find someone who can come and help me fit it. Its still sat on the drive...

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I can buy a new alternator from Renault. They are £180 so thats OK. I just need to find someone who can come and help me fit it. Its still sat on the drive...

There used to be a Renault guy on here, from a dealer. He gave good discounts on new Renault parts.

I remember paying in the region of £120 for an alternator for my Cup. I cant remember the name though, take a scout in the trader section.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
There used to be a Renault guy on here, from a dealer. He gave good discounts on new Renault parts.

I remember paying in the region of £120 for an alternator for my Cup. I cant remember the name though, take a scout in the trader section.
Used to be adam from wolverhampton reno but it drove him to a brake down.

Arctic 182

My alternator also set on fire, and I did this to get it to a garage, it was fine.