ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AMAX (APEX?) 40mm springs £30 from ECP

SQ5
Instead of posting smart arse comments and you have some sort of actual experience with these on track then why not just help us out? It was me who posted I'd heard good things about them on track due to there stiffness compared to other springs on the market, if not so good then let the people know, or do you think people waisting hard earned cash "hilarious"?

FLOL, I was using Apex on my first Clio on track ten years ago! That long ago that I don't have the pictures on my iPad to show you how shocking they are when in a corner. I then used them on a runaround a few years after and they were still as bad.

Cooksports or eibachs only for track use, or standard, or coilovers, but you know, not the hilariously cheap ones like K-tec

SQ5
Find some pictures, notice how flat the bumper is on comparison to the floor on each, same car same corner, slightly different angle

Apex

63cd523de35fd3096f9cf07ad0c143cc.jpg

Coilovers

266a4c7162c14c20ebf879ce325bd9a5.jpg

RB Clio 182
Were you going the same speed? The first pic you look mid bend, the last pic you look to be coming out of the bend, you cant really prove all of this from a picture.

I reckon the bottom pic are the apex springs.

I've got Sportlines at the mo on Koni shocks purely for track use, they seem a bit soft and give a bit too much body roll than I'd like.

Will Apex springs be better from people in the know or have used both on track?

Not bothered about how they are on the road.

Know anyone with an impact gun? Keep the wheels down on the floor and it should be easy enough

Or if you don't I reckon with a breaker bar you should be able to get them off
The struts just spin mate, tried a drop head spanner with allen key but no chance. Will take it the garage and get them to loosen them with a impact gun.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Or go to a friendly garage and get them to gun them off then screw them back on tight but not so tight you can't get them off.

172 Clio
Did my top mounts with a gun from my local garage and did them as tight as I could when refitting and zapped the last bit back at the garage with the gun again.

172 Flamer, BMW E46
Just ordered these as needed some cheap springs due to 2 being snapped on my standard 172. Hopefully not to bad. Got to be worth a punt for the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Well I bit the bullet and got a set, just fitted the fronts and they're definetely lower than my eibachs lol. This is how mine sits, only dropped onto wheels so haven't taken it out yet, brand new cup shocks too and pms top mounts
20160831_183613.jpg

And a side by side with the eibachs
20160831_170730.jpg

I've got a trackday on the 9th September at Llandow so we'll see just how good/bad they are

Well I bit the bullet and got a set, just fitted the fronts and they're definetely lower than my eibachs lol. This is how mine sits, only dropped onto wheels so haven't taken it out yet, brand new cup shocks too and pms top mountsView attachment 163484

And a side by side with the eibachs
View attachment 163485

I've got a trackday on the 9th September at Llandow so we'll see just how good/bad they are
They look like a fixed rate spring to me i would think it will be harsh on the road.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
It probably will be harsh on road, but that's something I can't comment on as mines no longer road legal and gets trailered everywhere

Mine will be going on next weekend along with new cup dampers all-round, then hunter aligned with as much negative camber as possible as -2.5° just isn't enough as i still scrubbed the outsides of my fronts at Oulton.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
That's pretty much how mine is, had new cup rear dampers earlier this year. As soon as I've finished rewiring and moving the battery it's off for wheel alignment and negative camber then load up and hopefully enjoy :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
How are you getting that much camber on standard dampers? Mine is going Tomo and I reckon they will max out at 1.5 which is fine. Just curious

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone got any side profile photos of these springs fitted against cooksports,eibach etc??.
I have cooksports at the mo but would like it to be a bit lower & cant afford coilovers at the moment.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Mines a 182ff mate. Ride is spot on.

Carl @bloke who drives many a Clio says how well my car drives. Which I take from him as a compliment

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
So may sit a bit different as bit heavier,have you any photos at the moment?.i have cooksports on at the mo,just want it lower.Do you think they sit lower than them?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Righty.

My old inferno with cooksports, Toby @realnumber 1 owns this gem of a car :)

inferno020-1.jpg

P1010159_zpseee59d3c.jpg

An old cup which I'm sure at the time had apex springs, in fact it did as I took the coilovers off

90448B4E-4253-4425-96DE-576B711C98ED_zpsw8dvhixs.jpg

My rb with different offset wheels on with H&r springs

4C35BD69-0C76-4947-A0FC-B4AE6308C759_zpsdxbwhphw.jpg

3C25A48E-B928-4389-B662-656FA1120DDB_zpsw85hpsxk.jpg

299E87DB-5B19-4864-89D6-00276F1D4F69_zpsdmh8jkng.jpg

08BFF73B-8D6C-4807-97B9-0231ACA1900B_zpsphynve3v.jpg

942A62E1-1EA9-4A0C-B573-369D9330B1F4_zpsehqlqfje.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I would say looking at those pics the rear seems slightly higher than cooksports, front seems lower.

But like they say 'face down ass up'

Or for car terms 'rake'

Clio 172 Merc ML55
A max on front and eibach pro on the rear, light was fading fast and haven't got round to taking any tonight after swapping rear springs
20160831_183613.jpg

Hasn't been driven just taken off axle stands and sat on its wheels, brand new cup shocks too

2014 Clio 200t edc
I fitted gmax which are probably very similar to my 172, that looked awesome and drove pretty well. Handled nicely but I never took it on track.
B3F45111-7DBA-4F1D-A160-507779C1F801.jpg

God I miss that car!!!!

Finally fitted mine, coupled with new OE dampers. Just took it for a blast and they feel fine, not crashy at all and feels much flatter in the bends. Good drop as well. Before and after below, albeit the before isn't side on but you can see the gap difference, they'll drop further as well over time. Well impressed for £30.
Screenshot_2016-09-10-15-20-23.png

Screenshot_2016-09-10-15-20-02.png