ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

andy_coops - Iceberg 172

Looks great that and yes the ramp would be much quicker than how mine went on with a trolley jack lol! Glad to see it all came and your pleased........ nothing wrong with having it the same as mine, as said, least you knew the quality of the parts :cool:

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Last few for this year. Really pleased with how this car's turned out since I bought it. Big thanks to you lovely lot too - really helpful and friendly place this!
IMG_7483.JPG
IMG_7484.JPG
IMG_7482.JPG
IMG_7485.JPG
IMG_7488.JPG

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
So this week I've been smoking around in this as my daily blew its turbo and the repairing garage threw me the keys to a JCW R53 (hope I got that right lol).
Interesting comparing it to the 172 and I'm NOT now scouring eBay, mini forums etc.
My summary is that if the Clio had this car's steering, gear change and seating position it'd be my perfect car.
Next year will be spent finding ways of making these things happen!!
And yes I did wash it before returning it...

IMG_7517.JPG
IMG_7518.JPG

Very smart that, I was actually looking at Cooper S's before I bought my Clio, I've grown to like the earliest ones so was looking at a supercharged one about 52/53 plate. BUT....... I made the right choice going for the 182 :cool:

Being a JCW was it pretty quick? I've only driven a 'normal' Cooper S

Ojc

Clio 220 Trophy, 172
Weird you say that about the R53 as I've owned two face lifted ones and the one thing I always felt let it down was the steering made the car feel hard work on the turn in. Both mine were tuned with 15& 16% pulley reductions and GRS coolers, running around 210bhp.

They are a great car and a good sense of occasion when driving them but not as sharp as a Clio.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Steering on this was razor sharp. I'd say it felt
torquier than the Clio but not massively quicker - to be fair I didn't give it death.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Last update for 2016 in the form of a Citroen stubby aerial. Fed up of twatting the RC car standard one on the garage door.
And a quick blast to Sainsbury's for some last minute food supplies for tomorrow. Via a favourite B road ;)
Drawing up an action plan for 2017 of all the stuff I want to get done but for now happy Christmas to all - I'm off to eat my own body weight.

IMG_7582.JPG
IMG_7585.JPG

That aerial is a good improvement, I took was wanting rid of the RC car aerial haha but went for a Honda S2000 one....... never even thought of the Citroen, D'oh!!

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
So easy jobs today. Firstly fitting the Pioneer front speakers which the MIL gave me for Xmas and adding my new CS sticker.
Sound quality is transformed. While it's never going to rattle the windows, it's just what I wanted and I'll be upgrading the rears in due course. Having just upgraded my telly to a suitably silly big 4K plus sounds in the house my car budget's a bit thin for the moment...
IMG_7659.JPG
IMG_7660.JPG
IMG_7661.JPG

Good stuff mate, thats a nice upgrade right there.........you're going down the same line as me with stereo, you don't need a mahoosive bin lid sized sub to get better sound, I just have upgraded speakers in the standard positions too and your quite right, sound was transformed! I've got Audison's in the front and Hertz in the back, but also have some sound proofing in the doors too by way of a 'skinz' kit but not sure if it does much ha!

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Thanks Steve. I may add some Dynamat or similar at a later stage but definitely upgrading the back too and maybe adding an amp. It isn't priority as I don't spent massive amounts of time in the car and improving the gear change and seat height are my next jobs :)

Thanks Steve. I may add some Dynamat or similar at a later stage but definitely upgrading the back too and maybe adding an amp. It isn't priority as I don't spent massive amounts of time in the car and improving the gear change and seat height are my next jobs :smile:

😂😂 i'm laughing as i'm exactly the same, have an expensive audio system in the car I hardly use

Little amp would give some punch though, like it!

How are you changing the gear change? PMS or Scenic shifter?

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
😂😂 i'm laughing as i'm exactly the same, have an expensive audio system in the car I hardly use

Little amp would give some punch though, like it!

How are you changing the gear change? PMS or Scenic shifter?
Not sure yet. I sold a Scenic shifter I had which with hindsight was a bit daft. I may replace the bushes in the existing mechanism and see how much that improves things.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Today's little project was to lower the driver's seat. Whizzed over to the unit so I could use the ramp and work in the dry. Really pleased with the outcome - as a chap who's 6'3" and the wrong side of 17 stone sitting "on" the car was rather crap.
I'd like to go lower still but for now it's fine.
Then home and a quick bath for Clio and daily (now back to health with a new turbo).
IMG_7682.JPG
IMG_7688.JPG
IMG_7684.JPG
IMG_7686.JPG

2014 Clio 200t edc
This looks very similar to my last 172, and I miss that car!!
Although yours looks so clean and very very nice!! (My old one wasn't that clean and my new shed doesn't and never will!!)

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Pulled her out of the garage today for a quick try out of Gyeon Wet Coat. Piece of cake to use - wash, rinse as usual then apply, rinse again and several months' protection right there. Love lazy products :smile:

IMG_7712.JPG

Thanks Andy! This is a brand new product to me, not seen it before, so just to confirm you pre-rinse, wash and rinse the car as normal, then spray that on without drying the car first, spraying it on the wet car, then rinse again to wash it away and then dry? Looks great from the photo of your car :up:

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Thanks Andy! This is a brand new product to me, not seen it before, so just to confirm you pre-rinse, wash and rinse the car as normal, then spray that on without drying the car first, spraying it on the wet car, then rinse again to wash it away and then dry? Looks great from the photo of your car :up:

Have a look in the detailing section bud, lots of info on Wet coat and Hydro2 which is a similar type of product.

But yeh that's the basic jist of how to use it but once you've sprayed the product on, you need to blast it with a pressure washer, rather than just rinsing with a hose, as it needs that high pressure water to bond .... I think anyway!

Cheers guys, sounds good! I went ahead and ordered some........... then just came back on here and read that about the pressure washer. Which I don't have 🙈 oh well, i'll still find a way, need some of that gloss :laughing:

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
I reckon you'll be fine without or just get a Nilfisk or cheap Karcher - I've got a K Series Karcher which I bought from the Karcher outlet place 4-5 years ago; never let me down and an invaluable tool (car mostly but garden too if you need to sell it to the Mrs ;) )

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Next job stopped in its tracks by a rounded locking bolt key. Have contacted the eBay seller as they were nipped up and not torqued and it didn't take much to damage it!

I've asked for a new key (they only supply one which is maybe a bit daft) and 4 standard bolts so I can remove the lockers completely - risky but I rarely leave the car anywhere it will cause a concern!

Attachments

• IMG_7925.JPG
    IMG_7925.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 96

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Progress...
Managed to tease the locking bolt out and the seller's also sending me a replacement key.
Got the caliper off reasonably easily but I don't have a 30mm socket plus the fading light meant time to call it a night.
Halfway there though and no tantrums. Plan is to clean the piston and reassemble as a temporary fix until I can put refurb'd calipers on both sides.
Oddly it all looks ok - the seal appears intact so no idea why it's seized - bloody French cars lol.
IMG_7932.JPG
IMG_7933.JPG
IMG_7934.JPG
IMG_7936.JPG

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Seized caliper fixed (for now) and garage finally completely cleared. Properly chuffed - I've actually done a thing and it seems to have worked.
New hub nut and spacer fitted - brilliant arrive as usual from RTR. Used fine grade glass paper to clean the piston up, thorough clean with brake cleaner and a squirt of 3 in 1 into the piston.
Quick wipe down as I haven't used her since last wash - half a tank of fuel means Scenic route to the supermarket later :)
IMG_7963.JPG
IMG_7965.JPG
IMG_7969.JPG
IMG_7970.JPG
IMG_7971.JPG
IMG_7972.JPG
IMG_7973.JPG