ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Clio Project... 172 Cup

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Hello again.
Had a couple of Clios prior to this, been on here a few years now

Firstly had a 172 Sport in Monaco Blue.

35aca196b29b457d6ea398c92103df83.jpg

And then had an Iceberg 172 Cup

652b9a4a91d52edd52d7273091bfec3a.jpg

Now just found this on eBay. Going to collect on Saturday so will update with better pics once collected. Picking up from the North East if anyone recognises it.

888cdce3e54ecc165a02ad4cda6d9bf2.jpg

9f964537997f978b2446209204a5f8cb.jpg

Can't wait to get back in a clio, been driving round in a mk1 Leon Cupra which is an ok car just far too boring and far too refined for me haha.

Plans are once I've got the cup..

-Fixed bucket seats
-Sticky Tyres
-Strip any excess weight
-Trip to EFI Parts for a remap
-Keep N/A so possible ITB's

All depends on how I get along with it lol. Hopefully will be getting a few track days done next year! [emoji106]

Will keep updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
I saw that, if its good it was a bargain, I emailed the seller who never got back to me.

Good looking car. Saw this on ebay aswel. Was tempted to buy myself. Let us knw how you get on

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Cheers lads, hopefully good to be back haha,

The car is bloody clean, a lot cleaner than my iceberg which I paid a lot more for. Coilovers are sat nice but I've a sneaky suspicion they're just budgets so may need to be swapped out.

All i was fussed about when buying one was finding one with a recent belt/dephaser change and this was done in may this year by Andy at clioturbo so should be bang on fingers crossed.

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
930df95c6cbafe853672fd29e4417bf7.jpg

It's arrived, epic little car despite a few niggles but all easy stuff.

Desperately needs engine mounts, has purple bushes on the dog bone however so that's not bad. Gunna get the power flex upper engine mount insert I think. Also in major need of tyres, budgets are a big no no with these cars and it's all over the place ATM so they need changing asap

Nice Cupra R splitter on bumper, never been keen on them but this has had the middle fins chopped down so doesn't sag in the middle.

Coilovers are unknown, green springs on rear and red springs on front so who knows, if they need changing they'll get changed but it drives fairly nice but due to tyres & engine mounts not given it grief yet.

Exhaust is a KTEC resonated stealth system which I quite like, with the sounds of it the cat has been hollowed out but I'm fitting a 182 manifold soon so that's irrelevant.

Few little dints around bodywork but not bothered about that.

Will update with some proper pics soon.

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
0039155aae3f2eb65f90ab7ffb2c9847.jpg

Latest mod

Just need to fit it now and fab up a link pipe
Anyone know what length that I'll need ?

I know they don't add 10bhp bla bla bla but u love the sound of the 182 mani with a decat and it's something I've always wanted to do with my previous 172s so it's getting done [emoji108]

Also bought some vibra technic solid engine and gearbox mounts too fit which are well over due

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Was meant to be out last week in a friends car at Oulton but we got cancelled due to fog so next time I'm out will either be for a little blast at 3 sisters next week or I will wait till new year and book at Oulton Park again.

658ba4b21ea47d204902ce6b7c5aa2a3.jpg

Hopefully be doing a deal with a fellow member on here for some team dynamics for my turinis so will also hopefully be an update there too soon [emoji108]

In the meantime .. Another new purchase [emoji102]

0826e9fbb5b3eb5cc8cee92ae402ac5a.jpg

Beginning to get a Parts pile mounting up now, need to start fitting bits lol. Just need to get some X-Low seat frames off Jon-Foz but I've already messaged him will be new year now I'm thinking or late December.

Only google image now of the seats as they're in a friends rally car but they're out of date for stage rallying now but still perfect for track days [emoji108]

Also fitted the vibratechnic mounts which have improved the car no end. No pics however as everyone knows how these look.

Will keep updated when I get round to fitting stuff haha [emoji106]

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Nice update bud , what do they do at oulton when they cancel due to fog do you get a refund or not

Yeah bud luckily they've just credited our accounts with 100% refund so just gunna use money to book one February now most likely, give me time to get seats in and manifold on, and hopefully get some better discs and pads on front [emoji108]

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
New wheels

Cheers to @DuckHunt

Team Dynamics Pro Race 3
In white (not 100% keen ATM)
15"x7j ET35 - sit really well
Giti Compete 195/50 Semi Slicks

Sorry for the dirty services pics but car isn't getting cleaned for a while can't be bothered in winter..

d580fcc4349f96d48f136d4c89a85f4f.jpg

798ba46d0ea116b177529791e07318e0.jpg

7f4bb8ef21e84fea282a7a5561ae5b23.jpg

Thats all for now, cheers for looking

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Took the car to 3 sisters today, only a small local karting track nothing major.

Tbh it surprised me a lot thought it was going to be rubbish but it was flying most of the day, on my last session passed a 197 with unusual ease and then was slowly gaining on a meg250 until I had an issue with the power steering pump, but hopefully a new(used) pump with new fluid and new aux belt should solve this, as I think I've boiled the fluid. Will update with pics soon as the cameraman said he got a few good ones, unfortunately a friend in an mx5 span off in front of me so the car is covered in mud lol

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
So today's job, no modifying unfortunately but job that was needed to get the car back usable,

b9fc7f091b2b487028fa185f54ee2638.jpg

Jacked it up got aux belt & alternator off and front bumper and the job was a doddle apart from some crappy pipes that didn't want to undo, bought a used PAS pump for now but will either replace with new in future or swap to EPAS

Anyhow this was the culprit..

fdb172a8a2208d277a90f56702b75170.jpg

06d67463127d4bde7f8b05db46c7c286.jpg

Car back together and bled up running sweet.
Had a squeak on initial start up but that's hopefully sorted now it's fully oiled up.

All I can say is thank god I bought a cup cause looking at the aux belt set up on a sport they must be a massive job in comparison [emoji85]

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Tyres are good and even better with a little heat and get heat in them
Quick

Yeah they seem pretty decent to be fair, was a bit damp though at weekend so they took a lap or two to get warm but I was reeling in that meg250 which was on regular tyres and with it being a twisty track I was closing the gap once they were warm.

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Got a go-pro for Christmas off the family so decided to go out and have a play, need to get a program on my computer to edit but love the widescreen pics it takes, also tried to grab a quick 0-60 but roads are bloody slippy today round here but had a couple of attempts

89e2e408f263dfb14b951eb71a341ef1.jpg

f714e8835e8d9fb9c70cc47562613e9c.jpg

1682843b3ea3578deb05f33ea953cafb.jpg

81bb06508ed5ac26f8be159714ed2caa.jpg

955025f9c053ca3ba9d6b30c0c0c516b.jpg

702a0ac580557074ccae9223b11d303f.jpg

As you can see the car is filthy and unloved ATM but was trying to get it dirty enough to enter the filthy car contest but it's been too wet round here to even come close [emoji22]

Hope you all had a great Christmas [emoji106] look forward to seeing you all at shows / trackdays next year

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Cars desperately unloved ATM, so to make me book my ideas up I've booked on a trackday at Oulton for the end of march lol, should make me pull my finger out.. here's my list of to-do's

-purchase coilovers
-fit coils and get car aligned
-fit seats
-pads on rear
-front discs and pads
-plugs & Oil & filter
-rebleed the steering as it's not 100%
-strip out as much un-necessary trim as possible

Then the car will hopefully fly round Oulton like a good un. (Touch wood)

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Looking good mate what date ya doing oil ton was thinking about doing a day in March there my self

Cheers mate I've booked on for the 28th March not ideal for everyone but cause I work shifts and cause it's a cheaper weekday it works out better for me, so far there's 4 of us in my group (focus RS, Mazda 3mps, MX5) so should be a good day out I'm hoping as long as weathers decent

Just ordered a set of Spax RSX front and rear coilovers. Hopefully get em fitted as soon as they get here.

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Cup Racer style URL decals fitted ... (slightly pissed but still think they look decent)

7821e618dd0763f768c623d6c2ed1da0.jpg

And I wonder what's just arrived in this box [emoji848]

d817cb653cbc2d49620bacdec9dab1e9.jpg

Guess I best get me toolbox out garage haha [emoji108]

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Finally progress, well lack of it, fitted the drivers seat but forgot the seatbelt buckles have pretensioners but luckily had an old mk4 golf one lying around so managed to get drivers in today, more progress tomorrow when hopefully coilovers get fit.

e468568da2575d57016c5cd4ecefa1eb.jpg

But wow what an improvement, feel one with the car now rather than sat on top of it lol, just need to upgrade the suspension then I can push it even harder

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Have you got a harness?

Using seat belts for now bud, hence the hold up with passenger side. For now it will be fine just belts, been out for a spirited drive and feels so much better already can't wait for harnesses but want a cage first

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Cool. Was just curious really mate

Main reason is I hate the look of harnesses bolted to the floor and I'm always unsure about the safety aspect so I'm just going to get a cage with harness mounts so it will be bang on [emoji106]

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Sort of contemplated a seat for mine but with no cage and harness. Just looks a bit odd with just a belt lol

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Sort of contemplated a seat for mine but with no cage and harness. Just looks a bit odd with just a belt lol

Never bothered me mate, just less hassle with passengers more than anything, swapping and changing sizes all the time, I still feel a hell of a lot more planted as they are I don't go the opposite way in the seat round bends no more lol