ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another MCS. The track day toy.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Quaife diff .

Just had one fitted to my 350Z and it is amazing really pulls the car out of corners and this is coming form the cars factory VLSD .

Alan

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Little update on this, as i finally decided what to do over the weekend ... I bought both :tongueclosed:
Picked up a Quaife from the Trackmini forum yesterday morning for £370, then 5 minutes ago ordered the following from Orranje (with a 10% discount & free delivery, sorry Russ!):

Safety Devices Roll Cage
Rear Cage: Rear cage, x diagonal and harness bar (backstay trim requires modification) for single door bars
Door Bars (Nearside): Single door bar nearside (LHS)
Door Bars (Offside): Single door bar offside (RHS)
Front Cage: Front cage, for single door bar
Colour: RAL 9005 MN201D Black Matt Smooth

Currently awaiting a fitment price from 1320 on the diff, & also considering putting in a facelift gearbox whilst im at it ...
So much for doing things one at a time
lol.gif

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Awesome! Love this track toy [emoji106] [emoji41]
I actually love this!
Thanks!!
Just bought the facelift gearbox as well.
Man Maths kicked in buying it - as i saved £100 labour on fitting (the lsd is still in the FL box, so it would save 1320 time taking it out & transferring it into my pre-FL box) so once ive sold my g'box, its probably a free upgrade lol :tongueclosed:

Last edited:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Managed to have a little tinker with the mini on Sunday.

Firstly, the windscreen washer jets were barely working, rather confusing as it had a brand new pump fitted just before i bought it off Richard!! So i pulled it all apart, cleaned the filter out, checked all the relays etc and all was fine. Still no pressure. Then looked at the pipe from the washer bottle to the bonnet, seems that the garage that fitted the pump had thought to tidy the pipes up by cabling tying them to the bonnet hinges, so as the bonnet was closed, they squeezed together and stopped the water pumping through. Removed the table ties, perfect water pressure!

Then i moved onto the passenger seat, having had Warren's Corbeau Clubsport in my bedroom for the past 6 months it was time to get it fitted!
So from:
87D877BB-ED7E-48DF-BB8D-460D68E9D599_zpstpjd4lew.jpg

38AD2D11-6026-4133-9D83-C9218D459B85_zps0jcug7c5.jpg

To this:
IMG_9404_zpsl8ftmx6v.jpg

IMG_9403_zpsaxhrixx1.jpg

Unfortunately it was pretty dark when i was finishing it all off, so i need to swop the OMP subframe around so that the seat can slide forwards more, but that'll only take 30 minutes now i know how it all goes together. Next Tuesday im off to 1320 to get the facelift gearbox/Quaife/new clutch fitted, so hopefully that'll make a massive difference to how the car drives!!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
What does this owe you now @Sir_Dave ?
Too much lol.
All in, since i've bought it, including buying the car and all the modified parts it owes me £5k.
1320's service/repairs/labour (once the stuff is done next week) will be circa £1.5k. So i'll have put £6.5k into it in total.
Not horrific, but more than i originally intended to spend i guess. On the flipside, i've built it to a far higher spec than i thought i would :stig:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Should of mentioned about the subframe, looks the wrong way round when fitted correctly!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Should of mentioned about the subframe, looks the wrong way round when fitted correctly!
Oh ffs lol. I put it in the way it looked correct, faffed about for an hour & a half putting it in, taking it out, dismantling it all, to work out the specific order it needs to go to bolt it all in, fitted the seat, then realised that that's as far forward as it would go. By this time it was dark however & i needed a beer. My work light had also melted my windscreen pillar trim as well, so i was grumpy 😂
And I want a go once the Quaife is in. See if I need a peloquin......
I told you you wouldn't be able to keep it standard :tonguewink: On the R32, the Whiteline ALK and poly bushes made a massive difference to the front end, so an ARB and diff of some sort would make it handle rather nicely i think. Dont suppose you've driven a Mk7 Golf Gti with PP have you, i really quite fancy one ...

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Too much lol.
All in, since i've bought it, including buying the car and all the modified parts it owes me £5k.
1320's service/repairs/labour (once the stuff is done next week) will be circa £1.5k. So i'll have put £6.5k into it in total.
Not horrific, but more than i originally intended to spend i guess. On the flipside, i've built it to a far higher spec than i thought i would :stig:
So based on past track record, it's being sold in a month? ;)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Oh ffs lol. I put it in the way it looked correct, faffed about for an hour & a half putting it in, taking it out, dismantling it all, to work out the specific order it needs to go to bolt it all in, fitted the seat, then realised that that's as far forward as it would go. By this time it was dark however & i needed a beer. My work light had also melted my windscreen pillar trim as well, so i was grumpy 😂

I told you you wouldn't be able to keep it standard :tonguewink: On the R32, the Whiteline ALK and poly bushes made a massive difference to the front end, so an ARB and diff of some sort would make it handle rather nicely i think. Dont suppose you've driven a Mk7 Golf Gti with PP have you, i really quite fancy one ...
No, but a friend just went from a mk6 gti, to a mk7 r dsg (wrist injury means he has to have an auto these days, so he's excused). Bored senseless by the r, so he's ordered a mk7 gti pp, says it feels much more agile/fun than the r.
Arb and alk are definitely going on, lsd will have to wait.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
What did she make?
215bhp, so a little less than the 225 or so that i expected, but i'll just put that down to hotter inlet temps (over 50oC when it went on the rollers) and possibly a slightly aging s/c loosing a bit of boost perhaps. Will post up the graphs tomorrow, but it was just a nice smooth curve, ie more revs, more power, no weird dips/peaks, all perfectly fine in terms of AFR/mapping etc. Happy enough, peak power isn't that important to me, just like to know its running ok :up:

Everything was dwarfed by the C6 RS6 that turned up & put down 615bhp 😂

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
215? Isn't this cammed too?
Yeah, the newman is a fairly mild cam compared to the Cat though! It did 195WHP (circa 225ATF) at 1320 this time last year (when it was mapped again) & doesn't feel any different tbh, certainly no slower. I'm not that bothered, at the end of the day its got 100k hard miles on it now, all on the original s/c (most people replace them before now), & the s/c belt has done 3 track days so probably stretched a little, ill get it changed out tomorrow. This time next year i plan to fit a facelift/teflon s/c and a janspeed manifold/tomcat which will get it back up to slightly better numbers im sure, but if i was changing HP id just buy an RS6 😂

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So, big update time!
Last Tuesday I spent the day at 1320 Mini getting a few bits & bobs fitted.
Lots of mini’s, all in various states of brokenness/turbodness:
Photo%2009-02-2016%2009%2018%2047_zpsa9h6r5pk.jpg

Photo%2009-02-2016%2009%2018%2059_zpsw8vv00wl.jpg

The turbo’d car that my facelift box/quaife came out of:
Photo%2009-02-2016%2009%2018%2043_zpsyvp4mvqs.jpg

Apparently it was in a black turbo’d mini before that as well, so hopefully its not so fussed about my lack of power/torque lol.
Time to pull it apart!
Photo%2009-02-2016%2009%2019%2013_zps22wz4hys.jpg

Photo%2009-02-2016%2009%2025%2016_zpsdbsazo8e.jpg
Photo%2009-02-2016%2010%2019%2041_zpsg3tnorpg.jpg

Yeah, wouldn’t have fancied doing this on the driveway!!
Photo%2009-02-2016%2011%2006%2057_zpsrmgsmpta.jpg

Gearbox off, & the clutch release bearing wasn’t where it was supposed to be apparently:
Photo%2009-02-2016%2010%2056%2047_zpsjnadnnjx.jpg

So that (or something else related to it) had been rattling around inside the gearbox, making a bit of a mess:
Photo%2009-02-2016%2010%2056%2058_zps7inhx9gg.jpg

Photo%2009-02-2016%2010%2058%2029_zpsrbpk2ojn.jpg

New clutch to go in, old one was fine, but for the sake of £200 in parts, it might as well be changed.
Photo%2009-02-2016%2011%2004%2037_zpshaseuuw4.jpg

At that point, I lifted up the standard dual mass and was amazed by its weight!! Flipping heavy, so I enquired as to whether 1320 had any single mass lightweight ones floating about, they did … £400. Gave Thomas/Scott’s minis a little rev in the car park, then bought one haha.
Photo%2009-02-2016%2011%2019%2007_zps5pdfgmea.jpg

All mounted back up
Photo%2009-02-2016%2011%2042%2029_zpsajlbyxcv.jpg

Once that was all put back on, it was time to move onto the subframe to check everything over, steering has been a little wobbly ass of late … and the culprit? Knackered Powerflex wishbone bushes, naturally these aren’t supposed to be rounded on the inside:
Photo%2009-02-2016%2013%2004%2027_zpst779e34r.jpg

They are supposed to be more like this:
Photo%2009-02-2016%2013%2005%2048_zpsa8jagk4n.jpg

So in some Superpro ones (£100 or so) go instead, problem solved.
Photo%2009-02-2016%2014%2001%2027_zpskhesv1rt.jpg

After that everything was put back together while I kicked around my old bushes with Alan:
Photo%2009-02-2016%2013%2008%2047_zps7o5jjcmm.jpg

Then for a quick test drive. Genuinely its like a different car!! Gearbox ratios are better, the actual change is smoother, the diff is just weird, more power & it drags you towards the apex, cannot wait to try it out on track!! Steering is far better with the new bushes and the engine revs far more cleanly with the new flywheel, I did stall it though when turning around so it’ll take a little time to adjust to it no doubt. The flywheel also rattles a bit at low revs, so i can understand that would be a little irritating on a daily, as a "fun" car though it just adds to the drama/fun of the car i think! Essentially it feels like the GP used to, but with a bit more power, its a lot more extreme, but then again, my GP was standard, this has had £5k chucked at it, & that’s only since Ive owned it, god only knows what Richard put in …

Unfortunately I went to drive it work the next day & I couldnt get any gears FFS. Quick call to Thomas and after much apologising (it was perfectly fine when I lefts theirs, after test drive etc) it seems that the clutch probably needed bleeding, bit of a ball ache, but I said id give it a go on Saturday - which I then did, in the cold/wind/rain!! 2 Litres of Castrol React later I now have gears again, pedal is a little soft for the first half, but engages gears perfectly fine on the 2nd half. Will do the trackday at Bedford then re-bleed it all again after that, will probably be time to flush the brake fluid through as well by then anyways (same fluid/reservoir).
All in all, very happy, Also very poor.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So it was the Bedford Cliosport/Passionford Bedford trackday at the weekend, so i thought id give a quick write up.

Needless to say in the morning the car was an absolute animal compared to before. The gearbox/diff have made an unbelievable difference, i now firmly believe that any high powered FWD car needs a diff, its quite literally night & day the way the car responds now, so much front end grip. Had to reassess my braking points at quite a few corners as i was simply carrying in too much speed, LOOS is now amazing, lift, sideways, plant foot, pull out of corner. Epic!! The way it covers ground was quite something, there is no way it would have caught up with/overtaken the cars it did before, no chance.

The afternoon wasnt so great, but that is covered more here: http://www.cliosport.net/threads/melted-spark-plug-causes.762279/#post-11045180 I think its mostly fuel related (i filled it up with Bedford's own fuel at lunchtime, instead of the Shell VPower i normally use/its mapped for, so c'est la vie/probably a coincidence etc), but will be checking through everything else as well.
IMG_9597_zpsoguae5x9.jpg

The car also melted the drivers side front CV boot at some point, what a mess!!:
IMG_9586_zps5wzgtdue.jpg

Some pictures of it looking nice:
IMG_9578_zpseb3siibk.jpg

IMG_9576_zpsv1gopjlx.jpg

IMG_9577_zps4kcwymcz.jpg

IMG_9575_zpslv4icfmi.jpg

IMG_9581_zpsanap1jrw.jpg

IMG_9580_zpsdxs88zsl.jpg

IMG_9579_zpslvjmtiw2.jpg

And some videos of the morning:
Yellow 200 at 6:10, Black R26 at 8:30, Silver 172 at 10:00, Black/Orange 182 at 14:40

Various Clios from the start, 130i/172 Cup at 9:30, 13:00 Blue 172 cup

Black megane at 5:00, Red Turbo 172 WTF at 7:00

All in all, an epic morning, with some more teething problems to sort out, it gets driven hard though, so problems are expected.
I now need to replace:
1. Rear pads, & maybe disks. Its gone through the OEM Pagids in 1500 miles/3 track days, so i might upgrade to Carbotech XP6's
2. Drivers front outer CV boot, will probably do both sides as the passenger one was looking a little melted as well (heat from the XP8's is obviously rather high)
3. 4 x plugs, fuel filter, will also get the injectors flow tested i think, & check the coil pack is ok
4. The cage will hopefully arrive at the end of the month, so thats something nice to look forwards to.

Also need an MOT at some point this month, so 1/2 are priorities really.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Awesome car!
Whos turbo 172 is that? Absolute machine lol.
Chap on here @Stopherson
I think my comment at the time was "what the f*ck is in that" lol ...

Lines, apexes, entry and exit points, all made pointless and so unnecessary because of huge powaz. LOL
It was like the Pikes Peak Escudo on Gran Turismo with 1000bhp, you dont need to steer, just booooooooooooost.
My cars not particularly slow, but on the straight i might as well have been in reverse 😂

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Great updates @Sir_Dave :grinning:

I'll be interested to find out how you get on if you fit XP6 pads to the rear. I'm running XP8 front and DS2500 rear at the moment on the R26.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Great updates @Sir_Dave :grinning:
I'll be interested to find out how you get on if you fit XP6 pads to the rear. I'm running XP8 front and DS2500 rear at the moment on the R26.
I was too tight to buy them in the end, £160 a set vs £20 for the Pagids, even if i replace them after every other trackday, that's still 16 events to break even lol!! So ive bought some pads, just need to fit them now.
Took this picture last night as it amused me, would seem the mini is setup fairly stiff ...
IMG_9850_zpsx40airqs.jpg