ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another R53 Mini Cooper S

Clio 197 RB
Jumping on the band wagon it seems, I took the plunge and after 6 years of Renaultsport ownership, I purchased a Mini Cooper S. Its a 54 plate and it's covered 86,000 miles. Initial thoughts is that it is a lot nicer inside, the driving position is better than my 182 and the supercharger whine is awesome.

The power does seem to be down compared with the 182, but, I will be looking to make it go faster.

Gave it a bit of a clean yesterday and took some photos.
I will be trying to keep this updated as I progress with the car.

21887153298_eedcf28dcc_c.jpg
IMG_3719 by warren todd, on Flickr
22085010111_4057f20e14_c.jpg
IMG_3728 by warren todd, on Flickr
22062504612_d9d4d2b0c8_c.jpg
IMG_3732 by warren todd, on Flickr
22084926671_e5a588a729_c.jpg
IMG_3733 by warren todd, on Flickr
22048723026_3d7f0a80de_c.jpg
IMG_3737 by warren todd, on Flickr

Things I'm looking to do next:

Front end respray
Alloy wheels refurbished
15% Pulley
JCW brakes
Front wishbone bushes
Intercooler
Lowering springs

Looks nice that mate. I've had two R53's and one R56 FJCW. I would say give the springs a miss and get some coilovers. Springs are truly awful on minis.

Also budget for an upgraded intercooler if fitting a smaller pulley. And if you can get hold of a Dave.F induction kit you'll be laughing as the whine is epic!

Give me a shout if you have any questions!

Peugeot 308
See, Eibach springs and non-runflats are definitely something I would recommend as a cost effective exercise and I am sure @brookie would agree.

Dont worry about a Dave.F induction kit, make your own like I did for alot less.

Clio 197 RB
See, Eibach springs and non-runflats are definitely something I would recommend as a cost effective exercise and I am sure @brookie would agree.

Dont worry about a Dave.F induction kit, make your own like I did for alot less.

Do you have a link to how you made your own induction kit??

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Dave.f kits aren't available anymore I think. I found a jcw one cheap and fitted that, same basic idea.
There's a diy guide on minitorque. If you're going for an intercooler, the gp one is the best to go for (but ££), grs motorsport the next best.

Mine was a facelift on a 54 plate. 2005 registered car.

Looks great. After selling mine and going back to a car with normal suspension I'd ditch the spring idea. Never realised how bad the ride on my car was!

Clio 197 RB
I thought mine was facelift as the bottom light on the rear bumper is the fog light and not the reverse light.

Clio 197 RB
Mine was a facelift on a 54 plate. 2005 registered car.

Looks great. After selling mine and going back to a car with normal suspension I'd ditch the spring idea. Never realised how bad the ride on my car was!

What springs did you have?? @Brookie. has Eibach springs on his.

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Don't go anywhere near any lowering Spring on a R53 mini it will ruin the ride completely! It's makes them so crashy the dampers just aren't up to it. As said if you want lows then go for coilovers even the cheapest AP's are an upgrade on OEM dampers and Spring combo

Clio 197 RB
Don't go anywhere near any lowering Spring on a R53 mini it will ruin the ride completely! It's makes them so crashy the dampers just aren't up to it. As said if you want lows then go for coilovers even the cheapest AP's are an upgrade on OEM dampers and Spring combo

I'm not wanting proper lows, just a slight drop.
I'm not looking at spending a fortune lowering it, so budget coilovers are a big no.

I'm sure eibachs will be fine.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'm not wanting proper lows, just a slight drop.
I'm not looking at spending a fortune lowering it, so budget coilovers are a big no.

I'm sure eibachs will be fine.
It's your car, so completely up to you. But have a read up on minitorque. All info I've read echoes what Neil said, springs muller the ride quality.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
@wozza182 have you thought about getting the one ball exhaust mod done? I'm really happy with it, makes the exhaust a tiny fraction louder, but increases the pops.

Clio 197 RB
@wozza182 have you thought about getting the one ball exhaust mod done? I'm really happy with it, makes the exhaust a tiny fraction louder, but increases the pops.
I've not heard about that. The standard exhaust on mine isn't in a great condition. So I will be looking at an aftermarket one soon anyway.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've not heard about that. The standard exhaust on mine isn't in a great condition. So I will be looking at an aftermarket one soon anyway.
Where they tend to rust, that's the bit that's removed for the one ball. Mine cost £80. I'm not too far from Isleworth if you fancy a look at it.
Bar the springs I've got all the same mods you're planning.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Seems to be becoming a popular car on here these days. I think they're a great drive. Dave set his one up pretty well for fast road and track also.

Clio 197 RB
Where they tend to rust, that's the bit that's removed for the one ball. Mine cost £80. I'm not too far from Isleworth if you fancy a look at it.
Bar the springs I've got all the same mods you're planning.
You're down near Hammersmith right?
It's the back box on the drivers side that has rotted away. It just about passed the MoT but was an advisory.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
You're down near Hammersmith right?
It's the back box on the drivers side that has rotted away. It just about passed the MoT but was an advisory.
Other direction fella, slough way. Drivers side box is removed for the mod.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Lovely looking car this, best colour combo imho!! I much preferred my grey one to the current blue shed.
Although, as standard, i do prefer the chrome 😌
Before refurbing the wheels, perhaps change to the other style 17s, they are considerably lighter!!
IMG_5737_zps80b961b3.jpg

Things I'm looking to do next:
Front end respray
Alloy wheels refurbished
15% Pulley - keeps the standard power curve, 17% gives more boost, but i prefer the delivery of the 15%, although keeps engine temps a little lower
JCW brakes - R56S front calipers, ECP discs (or Nitrac if you want to spend the money/will run hardcore pads), then Mintex 1144 pads (or Carbotech XP8 for track/broken nose on steering wheel when braking) & Goodridge/HEL braided lines
Front wishbone bushes - yes, essential!!
Intercooler - if you get a GRS, make sure its the Motorsport version if buying 2nd hand, alot of people do not know what they are selling!
Lowering springs - nope

Most of that list is good, i'd not bother with the front end re-spray though, the money would be a lot better off upgrading from springs only. On the mini, they are terrible on standard dampers, absolutely awful, it'll bottom out all over the place, bounce you off the road and generally be poop, especially with the runsh4ts. Either leave it standard, or fit coilovers. Brand new AP's are £400 or so, or Meister R's like mine are circa £450 second hand. By fitting a good set of coilovers with top mounts, you will also protect the strut towers from mushrooming!

Any other q's dont hesitate to ask, ive especially built mine to handle like my old clio's, which id make to handle like my saxo vts 😂

Clio 197 RB
Lovely looking car this, best colour combo imho!! I much preferred my grey one to the current blue shed.
Although, as standard, i do prefer the chrome 😌
Before refurbing the wheels, perhaps change to the other style 17s, they are considerably lighter!!
IMG_5737_zps80b961b3.jpg

Most of that list is good, i'd not bother with the front end re-spray though, the money would be a lot better off upgrading from springs only. On the mini, they are terrible on standard dampers, absolutely awful, it'll bottom out all over the place, bounce you off the road and generally be poop, especially with the runsh4ts. Either leave it standard, or fit coilovers. Brand new AP's are £400 or so, or Meister R's like mine are circa £450 second hand. By fitting a good set of coilovers with top mounts, you will also protect the strut towers from mushrooming!

Any other q's dont hesitate to ask, ive especially built mine to handle like my old clio's, which id make to handle like my saxo vts 😂
Nice one Dave. I'll keep that in mind.