ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any Oil Recommendations?

RS Clio 182
Hi guys im new to RS Clio ownership and I wondered if its worth putting in expensive oil? My cars coming up to 100k and but has decent service history.

Thanks

Clio 172
I use the cheapest stuff I can get my hands on that meets the renault spec, I forget the brand but it's £21 for 20 litres. At that price I can afford to change it every 6k miles. Car is now on 140k and still goes well and doesn't use any oil.

My thinking is, while more expensive oil is probably better in terms of additives for keeping the engine clean, my cheap oil doesn't really get very dirty between changes. The makeup of the hydrocarbon chains is probably more consistent in more expensive oil which will prolong its viscosity and therefor service life, it still doesn't stop it from filling up with <10nm particles over its extended service life which are too small for the oil filter to catch and will cause wear. Changing out cheap oil sooner keeps the wear causing particles at a much lower level imo.

Last edited:
I just use either Renault's oil or Shell Helix, i change mine wvery 6k at the most anyways aa tbh its not alot of money

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
£30 for 6L every 10k miles for the proper stuff. Hardly a bank breaker so i'd just stick with that!