ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone 18/19 with a 2.0

I think what you need is a reality check. Let me guess....Norwich Union didnt manage to "Quote You Happy????" Of course they didnt....they were too busy rolling around on the floor, pissing themselves with laughter at the thought of insuring a 18/19 year old on anything with more poke than a milkfloat.

My concern for you is that if you did spend so much pocket money on insurance premiums its unlikely that youd have anything left to enjoy a life outside the confines of the nearest McDonalds car park.

Engles Mummy

I dont mind paying 2.5k for my insurance, the way I look at it is; 2.5k for 1 year of driving, year lasts a long time and in a my 2.0...I dont think I would give a sh*t about the insurance. I am working and have got extra jobs on the side, so money at the moment isnt that tight.

With killing myself, I am not to sure about that. My first 2 months of driving were completely stupid, I am extremely lucky to be here and even be walking for that matter. I have had no crashes, bumps or anything; oh I hit a baby dear who ripped off my front bumper and wings lol.

Fair point Roy, £480 sounds like a dream to me. Its a shame all the rude boy/boy racers have giving the safe young drivers a bad name. Now I drive fast but I also consider myself a safe driver, I never speed in built up areas and only go for a real hack at night round my country lanes.

Adam

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220

You will find it difficult to insure a 172/182 for less than £3k at 19 unless you have a couple of no claims. I am 20 with 2 years no claims and got it down to £1500 fully comp in my own name for my 182 Cup.
Thats with Elephant and having my mum as a second driver and 1 external modification. Without my mum as the second driver it would of been about £2000!

Good luck with getting insurance but to be honest its best to try and get some no claims and wait till your 20/21. I drove a 1.1i saxo for a couple of years to build mine up!

Hehehe the other thing emerging here is how you young guys seem to think a year is a long time. LOL at 32 with a mortage, all the sh*t to worry about, a declining tolerance for booze, and a missus who reads too many magazines, you start to view years like you once did weeks.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

a year goes sooo quickly, £2500 for insurance is crazy, look at the cars you could BUY for that money.

Quote: Originally posted by Gaz2130 on 13 September 2005
a year goes sooo quickly, £2500 for insurance is crazy, look at the cars you could BUY for that money.

The man speaketh the truth

Golf GTI 1.8T

You must be mad if your willing to pay £2500 just for a years driving, isnt only that either, you got the higher tax band, high fuel price and consumption, parts will be more expensive etc. thought £1440 policy was stupid enough and im on a good wage too, yours will be nearly the prie of my car!!!

i say go for it mate, if you really want the car and are prepared to pay the insurance then just do it. i got my 172 when i was 18 and paid £1300 insurance in my dads name with tescos, got my 182 cup when i 19 (still insured in my dads name). i aint crashed yet and most "older" people on here seem to think that EVERY young driver will. ( famous last words will probably crash now lol )

Engles Mummy

fair point made ^

Tesco, i am trying them out for show!

"i must be mad" - No i just enjoy my driving a lot + at the end of the day its only money and i rather spend it then watch it build. Live life while you got it, and maybe go die in a car lol.

Quote:
Even though I may not like it, I will have to go on my dads for the time being, it works out cheaper.

as hard as it is, not building up NCB now by going on your dads will be as painful later than getting your own insurance now.. bite the bullit, get a 1.2, build up 2 years NC (50%) some road experience, then go for the 2 litre... the chances of you having a nasty accident in a 172 at the age of 18\19 are probably quite high.. i have 17 years driving experience, but sometimes find it hard not to SHOW oFF to mates who are new to 172s etc.. at the age of 18 it will be like waving a loaded gun around... everybody thinks they are good drivers..but you cant buy experience!

Engles Mummy

Well if I get it down to say 1300, which a guy at 18 on here already has done, that will make it 25 a week, which is f**king perfect! Rather then the near 50 a week on 2500 a year.

Yea its very risky at my age buying a performance car and I totally agree that I do lack experience on the road. But I look at it in other ways, I cant wait to learn how to drive a whole new car, learn how to handle the speed & performance.

Most of my friends spend £££s on booze & fags, leally every night. I am not a big drinker & I dont smoke. So I think the money i save from not doing that...can be spent on something I will really enjoy. i.e. 2.0

I wouldnt say I was a good driver, but I consider myself to be a safe driver. Doesnt matter how fast a car is, its as only as dangerous as the one driving it and I am not a dangerous driver.

I completely understand though what you’re all saying, it is dangerous and bad things can happen. But that’s just something I will have to live with when I start to drive it, I will be taking very easy at the start...no rush in killing myself hey?

Thanks again all, really appreciate it

Adam

Yamaha R6

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 13 September 2005

youll all kill yourself
rofl^..

Talking about killing yourselves.. My best friend was only just 20 in august and has just had a 2.8 Z3 soft top... He works with me and is on business policy... bloody quick...

Scirocco GT 210

Quote: Originally posted by Subway on 14 September 2005

Well if I get it down to say 1300, which a guy at 18 on here already has done, that will make it 25 a week, which is f**king perfect!
How is that "f**king perfect"?? Surely perfect would be free :D

When I renew in a months time, my 172 is going to cost me £650 to insure for the year, and thats too much money! :(

And dont worry about killing yourself, 2.0ls arent that fast. Certainly dont justify the insurance group! :cry:

Engles Mummy

hehe, yea free would be perfect...but we dont live in a perfect world my good man!

your annoyed at £650 lol, cheap arse!

Im 19, been driving one year, have 1years NCB. and drive a williams. £1600 or there abouts with admiral. try adding parents as named drivers, brings the insurance down a lot

Quote: Originally posted by iLL_MoVeS on 15 September 2005
im 19 on my dads im payin 2600 :( got nearly 2yrs NCB on his polic, n i drive a williams

how do you build up NCB on someone elses policy????

SC 172 FF

i havnt got 2 yrs NCB my dad has got 2yrs NCB and im on his policy....as soon as i leave his policy ill have 0 NCB but he wil still have the 2yrs NCB on that policy unless he decided 2 end it, which e wud do because hes only got the policy so i can go on it.