ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Astro A50s Vs Turtle Beach 800x (Xbox)

Do a lot of evening gaming so looking for a high end headset. These 2 are my picks as both wirelese with 7.1 surround.

A50s more expensive, and both get excellent reviews and some bad user ones!

Anybody got or used either?

Mic quality not a big issue, i hardly talk online!!

I've a50 and used to have turtle beach 500 I think they were.

The astros are awesome

Was all set for the 420X+ as half the price and they get really good reviews, but they are not surround sound... not sure how much difference that makes though!

Clio 182
Get the Astro a40 if you want to reduce the costs.
The quality of the Astro far exceeds my old turtle beach xp500

White APE
I moved from turtle beach to Astro. I've currently got the A40 with mixer. Only draw back to these are they are wired but it's not too much of an issue, makes me get off my arse to sort them out [emoji23]

Yaris Hybrid
I have A40's, A50's, Sony Platinums and a pair of Sennheiser 598's.

I've tried them all with PC and PS4 (well not the Sennheisers with PS4) and to be honest I don't think the Astro's are that impressive *for the money*. They were the first reasonably pricey headphones I'd ever owned so they seemed absolutely epic when I first got them as I was comparing them to £30 jobs!

As far as A50 v A40 goes, I did back-to-back comparisons in games like GTA V and just walking from Michael's house, down his drive to the car and then pulling away you could easily tell that the A50's lacked a lot of detail. The A40's were better for the detail although I've found the amp hisses at lower volumes than the A50's and the bass isn't as strong - but they do have a more open sound.

The surprise for me were the Sony Platinum's as they had a far better surround effect than the Astro's, as much bass as the A50's and didn't hiss as much as either. Given how much cheaper they are than A50's I was quite shocked and that was when I realised that Astro were taking the pee on the price.

The Sennheisers are a lot better than all of them and there is an equivalent headset model with a mic. Problem is it ain't wireless. My soundcard supports Dolby Headphone so you get the same surround effect although I've never really been that convinced that virtual surround is worth it.

So TLDR, for PC gaming get the Sennheiser headset that is like £180 or something. Or better still just get Sennheiser headphones like the 598 as you can always use a USB mic (£10) on the rare occasion you need a mic. On PS4 get the Platinums as they are better than A50's IMO and £100 less!

New A50s are only wireless ones that work on the abox one. The older A50s are wireless but have to plug in to the controller for mic to work.

F82 M4
I have A40's, A50's, Sony Platinums and a pair of Sennheiser 598's.

I've tried them all with PC and PS4 (well not the Sennheisers with PS4) and to be honest I don't think the Astro's are that impressive *for the money*. They were the first reasonably pricey headphones I'd ever owned so they seemed absolutely epic when I first got them as I was comparing them to £30 jobs!

As far as A50 v A40 goes, I did back-to-back comparisons in games like GTA V and just walking from Michael's house, down his drive to the car and then pulling away you could easily tell that the A50's lacked a lot of detail. The A40's were better for the detail although I've found the amp hisses at lower volumes than the A50's and the bass isn't as strong - but they do have a more open sound.

The surprise for me were the Sony Platinum's as they had a far better surround effect than the Astro's, as much bass as the A50's and didn't hiss as much as either. Given how much cheaper they are than A50's I was quite shocked and that was when I realised that Astro were taking the pee on the price.

The Sennheisers are a lot better than all of them and there is an equivalent headset model with a mic. Problem is it ain't wireless. My soundcard supports Dolby Headphone so you get the same surround effect although I've never really been that convinced that virtual surround is worth it.

So TLDR, for PC gaming get the Sennheiser headset that is like £180 or something. Or better still just get Sennheiser headphones like the 598 as you can always use a USB mic (£10) on the rare occasion you need a mic. On PS4 get the Platinums as they are better than A50's IMO and £100 less!

Turtle Beach - Founded 2008
Astro Studios - Founded 1994
Sennheiser - Founded 1945

Says it all :)

I had the 598's as well and they were absolutely amazing for light music and acoustic stuff however I found they really lacked with bass heavy and dance driven stuff. I'm currently rocking a set of AKG K712's for music and gaming and they are unbelievable. It was a toss up between these or a set of HD650's. But you're right, you can't beat a proper set of headphones and a stand alone mic

But to answer OP's original question the Astro's are far better than the turtle beach ones. You might want to consider the Steelseries Siberia 840's as well

Steel series are not 100% wireless on Xbox - have to plug mic in to controller.

Picked up a reasonable priced pair of the latest A50s. Grey and green is not that great colour but they are very comfortable and no more wires.

Magnetic charging dock is spot on.