ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Audi RS3

RS4
Enjoy it chap. Just need front tints for the full on Bradford look

They are dropping like a stone price wise so I hope you got a good deal on it

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
I think the saloon is a better looking car tbh, the S3 version is :hearteyes:
But yeah, Drive Select has comfort>auto>dynamic which makes the steering (amongst) other things, much stiffer.
FFS, you have me looking at S3 saloons now :(

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Agree the saloon s3 looks great. Mind you the new rs3 salon looks amazing
Especially in green.

Z4
Disappointed in you Dave!
They're lovely cars for the daily commute, just lacking any real character.

You'll be back in an M3 before you know it.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Literally just seen a traffic cop show on TV and I quote "The RS3 is the car of choice for Bradford's bad boys"
Enjoy it chap. Just need front tints for the full on Bradford look
They are dropping like a stone price wise so I hope you got a good deal on it
Ha ha, they are massively Bradford i do agree, but seeing that i live in a nice part of Surrey, sans badmaz, its not so much an issue.
I haven't actually seen another one down here, its Golf R's that are everywhere 🙈
Price wise, i paid £30.5k, so hopefully a fairly good deal ...
FFS, you have me looking at S3 saloons now 😧
Sorry! It wont help you, but here's one i looked at fairly recently :tonguewink:
IMG_8678_zpsmtbfiut5.jpg

Disappointed in you Dave!
They're lovely cars for the daily commute, just lacking any real character.
You'll be back in an M3 before you know it.
I'm only using it for the daily commute, so hopefully it'll be ok for a while, its certainly easier in traffic!!
Been playing with the Drive Select settings a bit, seem to have settled on the following for day to day usage:
Engine/Gearbox = Auto
Suspension = Comfort
Steering = Auto
Exhaust = Dynamic

@Waitey what did you tend to go for?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Been playing with the Drive Select settings a bit, seem to have settled on the following for day to day usage:
Engine/Gearbox = Auto
Suspension = Comfort
Steering = Auto
Exhaust = Dynamic

@Waitey what did you tend to go for?

I just drove around in comfort most of the time TBH. My Individual setting was:

Engine/Gearbox = Comfort
Suspension = Comfort
Steering = Comfort
Exhaust = Dynamic

Remember mine had the ASBO exhaust. I didn't like the steering weight changing, nor did I like the throttle sensitivity changing.

RS4
We played Dave. A chap on RS03oc pxed his Red one with 25k for £31.5k so I think you have done very well. He is also on cutters IIRC

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I just drove around in comfort most of the time TBH
That's what i did initially, but it just made the car feel a little slow at town speeds - will probably take a lot of messing around to find something i'm happy with. Would prefer to have an "RS" button like the "M" button in the e90 that holds the best personal settings, is a bit of a faff having to scroll through 4 different settings each time i want to get to Dynamic.

Well played Dave. A chap on RS03oc pxed his Red one with 25k for £31.5k so I think you have done very well. He is also on cutters IIRC
Thanks! I saw his for sale on Cutters at £33k (with a lower spec) and that was partly what made me jump at my one, that & the fact that @Waitey got £36k for his on only 5k miles less!

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
@Sir_Dave can't you set it to Individual, which allows you to set each section up as you wish? That's what mine is set to (I've set mine to comfort, with the heavier dynamic steering)

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
You liked the throttle soft/longer? It sharpens up (reduces input required) in settings other than comfort?
Yes, you don't need it trying to make boost all the time.

The auto setting was the worst as the changes between a long and short throttle were a bit nonesencical esp on the motorway.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Yes, you don't need it trying to make boost all the time.

The auto setting was the worst as the changes between a long and short throttle were a bit nonesencical esp on the motorway.

You're the first person I've come across that also likes a longer throttle.

Just about every RS owner says they like the sharper response of 'Sport'...but I prefer having the longer throttle you get in 'Normal'. Makes it easier to modulate.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

Just about every RS owner says they like the sharper response of 'Sport'...but I prefer having the longer throttle you get in 'Normal'. Makes it easier to modulate.
I don't get why anyone would like it any other way. Pedal flat = WOT. Not pedal 50% = WOT. Makes no sense.

In my old TVR's they have huge (like really really long) travel, due to having no TC, you do everything with the pedal, having loads of travel makes this a joy.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

There's some software for the e46 that lets you map the throttle response using a laptop. I made it completely linear, gave it a lovely long throttle. Much nicer.

BMWs generally have some of the most linear throttles going! Small capacity shopping cars are about the worst, but fortunately dont have enough power for it to really cause a problem.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Had a little trip to the Eastern Europeans the other day, so thought id post some pictures.
Photo%2027-03-2017%2017%2055%2015_zpslvs3c8j7.jpg

Photo%2027-03-2017%2018%2007%2019_zpsmn8lci86.jpg

Photo%2027-03-2017%2018%2007%2058_zpsims6upy9.jpg

Photo%2027-03-2017%2018%2009%2008_zpsxgmjmo48.jpg

Photo%2027-03-2017%2018%2010%2058_zps2npy2bji.jpg

Photo%2027-03-2017%2018%2011%2025_zpsqq05xzz2.jpg
Photo%2027-03-2017%2018%2011%2035_zpsrxbtai51.jpg

Photo%2027-03-2017%2018%2012%2006_zpsbzzjkjod.jpg

If the wheels look wider at the bank than at the front, they are, & they need to be fitted on the front, i just haven't got around to it yet 😂
The front seats also need a deep clean, they are quite literally, filthy!!
Do i like the car? Yes, as a daily driver, its pretty much perfect.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Swirly after they cleaned it??
Swirly before they cleaned it, probably no worse after 😂
2 years of Audi service washes & the local (northern) Eastern Europeans for the previous owner and it needs some love!
Is your leather filthy or is it the pics?
Probably a combination, but it is proper filthy, dogs, going shooting & not being protected from new means its very dull looking currently.
As per the outside, i just need a spare weekend to get it looking 100% again :up:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Bet that paint is truly fucked under a light.
Looks great from a distance though! [emoji39]
Its not horrific (although i'm not a "detailer"), id say its no worse than any other car i've bought 2nd hand.
Black does show everything under the lights in the Shell garage, so ideally it does need a permanent coat of dust 😂
Any plans to have it mapped? (Not that in any way, shape or form needs it!)
Wouldn't have thought so. The Stage 1 map seems to give about 415 bhp, but most of them dyno at 390 or so anyways, so doesn't really seem worth the hassle. The Stage 2 is 450 ish, but for that you need an intercooler. Would it make it anymore fun? I doubt it, & id lose my warranty!
Its plenty fast enough when you want it to be already really, i think if i wanted utterly ballistic, id just sell it and buy an F10 M5/F80 M3 😌

The only thing that slightly appeals in the H&R springs, but only as they reputedly improve the ride quality slightly. I need to try & get the top mounts/mag dampers replaced through warranty first though - as per @Waitey they bang/thud over speed bumps currently.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The mag dampers have been replaced and any RS i've heard of. My mate had 2 front sets on his TTRS.

Looks cool in black. Quite a rare colour for them.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
That mag ride seems absolutely cuntish on almost every car i've heard fitted to it!?

Have Audi recognised it as a problem?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I have 2x brand new bottles of Gliptone in my garage with your name on it.
I think i've got some at Sarah's parents house, but as ill have to do the RS3 & the TT, ill probably take you up on that :up:
That mag ride seems absolutely cuntish on almost every car i've heard fitted to it!?
Have Audi recognised it as a problem?
Apparently there is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) to replace the front top mounts/rear dampers, but we'll see what Walton Audi say when it goes in for Spark Plugs/S-Tronic oil on 5th May ...but yes, compared to EDC in the e90 M3, its very crashy in comfort, certainly doesnt float over the speedbumps like that used to!

Leon Cupra 300
I'll be honest, I don't really like them, I can't get my head around the fact they fit wider front tyres! (assuming to stop it understeering so much)

But. As a really bloody quick daily car when you've also got a Boxster then it makes a lot of sense.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Nice choice! Those seats are lovely too. Got it for a good price too!

535d / t5 caravelle
Was behing one of these the other week in the galaxy, i was undecided if it was really an rs3 or just some a3 with a few mods and an rs exhaust on, no badges on the back etc, then it decided to overtake about 6 cars in a row. s**t off a shovel, i was quite shocked at how fast it dissappeared.

Debadging ftw lol.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I'll be honest, I don't really like them, I can't get my head around the fact they fit wider front tyres! (assuming to stop it understeering so much)
Funny thing is, its currently got the narrower rears on the front, & the (bald) wider fronts on the rear, and it still grips like a madman!
When i fit the set of PS4S on it next month, you'd have to be driving like an utter tool to get it to understeer on the road id imagine. On track yeah probably, but the limits/speeds are always a lot higher there, so a car with its engine out over the front wheels will pretty much always push on, unless you are slower in/fast out, trail braking etc. But you don't buy a lardy 5 door family hatch back for track days 😂

Was behind one of these the other week in the galaxy, i was undecided if it was really an rs3 or just some a3 with a few mods and an rs exhaust on, no badges on the back etc, then it decided to overtake about 6 cars in a row. s**t off a shovel, i was quite shocked at how fast it disappeared.
Debadging ftw lol.
Ha ha, they are fairly quick :wink:
I do like the stealthy look if i'm honest, if you know what you're looking for, they are different, but not obviously so in a subtle colour:
IMG_4851_zpscewzrcep.jpg

I think that looks great.
This car is getting under my skin a little i feel (like the R32 golfs do), as i went to BMW to look at M3/M4's at the weekend (as you do lol) and well, i'm sad to say it, but neither of them did anything for me, the M4 (in Silverstone II) was just bland and the M3, unless Competition Pack & individual colour, i thought, rather strangely, was starting to look a little dated already. The M2 looks better on the outside, but the interior is so meh/similar to the M135i. So with that in mind, with nothing else of remote interest in the price bracket (the M5 is just too big, M6 too big/expensive), the RS3 is to stay a little while i feel ...