ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery dying?

RB Clio 182
went to the shops earlier, the car started a bit sluggish, come out of the shop and it was just clicking it wouldnt start.

I managed to bump it as i was on a hill and got to my mams and it drove fine, but when I switched it off and tried it again, just clicking, and it sounds like the starter clicks too repeatedly quite loudly.

When i put my ignition on and bang the battery with my hand i hear a sensor or something coming on from the fusebox area like it kicks into life when i bang the battery, and i can do this repeatedly but the car will still not start.

Dead battery?

I had a new starter motor fitted a few months a go so this is new, i had a second hand alternator fitted when i had my turbo conversion done around 3 years a go.

When i bump the car i have a solid red immobiliser light on my dash.

Any help cheers.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yep I reckon battery, mine was the same. Then one day just didn't start, luckily was outside work and got the jump pack. New battery and job done.

RB Clio 182
Update, i noticed when it just clicks the fuel pump didnt prime, then i tried to start it again and i noticed the fuel pump primed and bam fires straight up.

So its a new fuel pump/relay/fuse?

Its deffo due to the fuel pump not priming tho.

Cheers.

RB Clio 182
The Earth from battery to body mate ad this one a 172
It feels secure mate but ill check and clean it up if theres any corrosion or anything.

Ill try my other key too if its an immobiliser problem, im not sure if this will make any difference.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Knowing your luck when you had the conversion.Said person swapped your new battery off his nans cortina for yours :wink:
Try a battery.If it's not that ,halfrauds will refund you with a receipt mate :up:

RB Clio 182
Cheers guys, im doing gardening work today and watching the united match inbetween but im off work tomorrow so i may get half hr to check things over, if everything looks fine ill nip to the car parts shop tomorrow for a new battery.

RB Clio 182
Knowing your luck when you had the conversion.Said person swapped your new battery off his nans cortina for yours :wink:
Try a battery.If it's not that ,halfrauds will refund you with a receipt mate :up:
Im not lying here mate, but thats crazy as my car went to Andys with a blue battery and came back with a black one lol.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Hope it's a simple battery mate
You been through he'll and back
Christ if you were local I'd go and get u a battery

RB Clio 182
So tonight i jacked the car up and turned the wheel, pulled back the arch liner and noticed that the earth strap wasnt even bolted on at the gbox end, theres no rips or tears it was just not connected.

I couldnt see properly because it was dark, and i didnt have much access because i didnt remove the wheel, but i felt a hole near the gbox and bolted it on hand tight because i couldnt fit my ratchet in there with the wheel etc, but ive tested it a few times and it fired first time every time, although im not 100% ive bolted it in the right hole as i couldnt see lol, ill check properly tomorrow but hopefully thats fixed it.

Im thinking how was it eventually firing up when the strap wasnt even connected and earthed?

Last edited:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
It's maybe been loose and slowly been working it's way out over time and then eventually disconnected completely as the bolt came out.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Good job you didn't start anything by taking the new battery back,and halfords charging you too return it.Bet this has given you a boost and jump start too the evening

RB Clio 182
Guys, unfortunately my bat died too.

IMG_2215.JPG