ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Been in an accident

2003 172
Hi All,
I've just been rear ended in a 4 car pileup down the motorway, luckily i was the car in front so only rear end damage.

The question i have now is.

Should i tell my insurance of the accident? even though it clearly was not my fault.

The car is pretty much a write off as the rear qtr panel is creased and the boot floor is bent/ creased.

I have aftermarket allows and a few mods which i haven't told the insurance about, will this be an issue?

This is my first car accident so not really sure how this works.

Regards

James

Renault Clio RS Cup
Always tell your insurance company even if it for information only. The you can use an accident management company to handle the claim as a non fault. (Used to work for one and can recommend a friend who would look after you).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 clio dynamique
See my opinion is different to the above post , I have never involved my own insurance company if it is not my fault , I have always dealt with the 3rd party's insurance directly , they will do anything to increase premiums even if its not you fault

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I doubt the offending party will be able to replace your car, so I'd go through insurance.

If it was just a broke bumper then by all means settle outside of insurance.

But they will probably up your premiums as you're now 'more likely to crash again'

Renault Clio RS Cup
With insurance companies data sharing, you are at risk if you fail to report it. It will be within the terms and conditions.

I had a non fault in November, once liability was admitted (48 hours via the portals) my NCD was fully reinstated and my insurance was unaffected at the time of renewal.

2003 172
Hi,

Many thanks for the replies.
I have a total of £550 excess on my policy (Bell Insurance) and i have to pay it regardless of whos fault it is.
The main thing is i don't really want my insurance to go up, nor do i want to lose my no claims etc
Didn't know i could ring the 3rd party directly. as there were 4 cars involved, do i claim of the last car? or the one directly behind mine?

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
Go through your insurance. The amount of litigation in a four car pile up would be a joke.

If one claims you broke to cause an accident and you didn't tell the insurance. Well?! ... only yourself to blame if they come looking for damages.

Renault Clio 172
Can't believe you have to pay out at all when it wasn't your fault. Your excess should be a claim against you and your insurance I would have thought, and you are not making a claim on it, only claim is against the 3rd parties insurance. Happened to me a few years ago and I told my company about it they said thanks. Then at next renewal they said we can see you were involved in an accident and proceeded to quote a higher premium. I did not renew and went else where. Sometimes the questions on quotes are have you made a claim in the last X amount of years, but some do say have you been involved in... Sucks especially when you are not at fault but would hunt around a bit and probably only tell my insurer if the contract says I had to.

Renault Clio RS Cup
Hi,

Many thanks for the replies.
I have a total of £550 excess on my policy (Bell Insurance) and i have to pay it regardless of whos fault it is.
The main thing is i don't really want my insurance to go up, nor do i want to lose my no claims etc
Didn't know i could ring the 3rd party directly. as there were 4 cars involved, do i claim of the last car? or the one directly behind mine?

You only have to pay it if you claim against your policy. If you've been shunted into the car in front, then it should be the responsibility of those behind you.

If you need anything PM me happy to help.

You're claiming off the other person's insurance company, not yours, so your excess should not be touched, but you will still have to report a non-fault accident to your insurance company (likely immediately - check your T&Cs).

Ring their insurance company to state the situation and that you are claiming off them, follow their processes, don't accept the first offer when they write it off, and then you should get paid out reasonably quickly.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
You're claiming off the other person's insurance company, not yours, so your excess should not be touched, but you will still have to report a non-fault accident to your insurance company (likely immediately - check your T&Cs).

Ring their insurance company to state the situation and that you are claiming off them, follow their processes, don't accept the first offer when they write it off, and then you should get paid out reasonably quickly.

This.

To clarify my earlier post, you still have to notify your own insurer, but you claim off of the third party insurer.

You need to notify your insurer whatever, fraud otherwise.

You shouldn't be paying any excesses as its a non fault notification, your not claiming anything.

They will increase your premium. In some cases excessively in the hope you bugger off somewhere else and
bring their risk rating down overall. That way they can offer more competitive premiums to more people.

Any money paid out will be from whoever is deemed responsible which will take a while as none of the four insurers will want to pay out.

Could take a while to sort this one.

As an aside you should always declare your mods as its an instant get out for any insurer as you've committed fraud.

Rusty Cup
You don't have to pay £550

If your car is written off your excess will be deducted from the money paid out to you in the final settlement.

Not going through insurance is an insane consideration.

I wrote off a Clio with undeclared mods. My insurance company didn't even bat an eyelid. Whole case was settled within 7 days and I ended up £1000 up after paying off the finance.

Hope all pans out well for you!

172 Turbo
As above, you'll pay your excess out of your settlement but it will be refunded by the party found liable for the accident.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I'd contact the other parties insurer, provide all information and footage as it shows you're not at fault then i'd ring your own insurers and tell them what happened. They're not out to get you, and will actually help you and tell you what's happening. They can't dispute it when you have evidence and it was a rear end collision unless they think it was a potential crash4cash.

Why did you stop out of interest?

2003 172
I'd contact the other parties insurer, provide all information and footage as it shows you're not at fault then i'd ring your own insurers and tell them what happened. They're not out to get you, and will actually help you and tell you what's happening. They can't dispute it when you have evidence and it was a rear end collision unless they think it was a potential crash4cash.

Why did you stop out of interest?

I stopped because there was traffic. i have the front camera footage that clearly shows standstill traffic.

So i think I'm covered both ways.

Thanks for all the advise so far

2003 172
I have rang my insurance, and it turns out 2/3 of the cars are insured by the same company,
like what all you guys said, i didn't have to pay a penny and the last guy in the crash was at blame.

Thanks for all your help

James

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
That's good news. When my 1st car was written off by an S Class merc on the M1 it took over a year for me to receive the money. I was the front of a 4 car pile up and the merc that hit me was contesting that it wasn't their fault they hit me (which it wasn't). Very frustrating!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Glad it's going smoothly, such a shame your cars written off though through no fault of your own. Not even like you were having fun and crashed, you were sat in traffic.

Clio Sport 182
what camera are you using mate. i was thinking to sell my front dash camera and install one front and back.

Thanks