ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best engine and brake mods for a mk1 RT

K20 eg 217 whp.
before anyone says dont spend money on it as its a crap car and save money for a better one dont :approve: its my first car

i already have a pannel filter and full decat powerflow exhaust but im wondering what to do next? Nothing extreme just worth while mods if any??

my brakes are also rather w**k so im after getting new disks and pads and want to know of any good kits??

can someone pleeeease tell me how to replace the pads/ shoes in the drum brakes as i dont think they actually work :S

so basically engine mods and brake kits, any help is good

merry xmas to everyone aswell, cheers jb

Get some 259mm disk and then the calipers and caliper brackets from a Williams or valver or Mk2 phase 2 cars as most of the none RS use them there the best upgrade.

Adamhog on here has some for sale.

With the 259mm brakes stock pads are fine bleed he fluid manybe use new liines depends what yours are like.

Jack the car up and remove the wheel and the little center cap in the center of the whell if its still thenre then try undo the 30mm nut in the center.

IF your having roruble stick the wheel back on lower the car and undo it you'll often need a breakers bar to do it.

Then jack car up remove wheen and then pull the drum bit off its a right pain to do (don't forget to have released your handbrake etc when you aare doing this). Best idea is to get a hammer and smack ir oudn teh sides and slowly pull it off of get a hub pulled and use that. Then you'll see what up with the drums might just need new ones there a pian to replace best get a Haynes to explain it but even thats useless. You undo the lips pull the shoes off then put it bback togther. The best way to do this is to put the bottom clips on the shoes when there off thencar then put then in.

PS the drums are help in place by the most annoying clips everyou need soem pliers you'll see how there done there about at the 3 and 9pm position on the wheel.

Engine mods are never worth wise a new engine is th best there are things to do but cost becomes silly IMO.

A good full service changae the gearbox fluids etc is the best realy.

Fiesta ST
The next engine mod, not going into silly money, would be to fit a Laguna 1.8 throttle body and then just make sure she's running fine. So do an oil and filter change, use some Silkolene or Motul Fully Synthetic Oil. (10w-40 for example) Put some decent NGK sparks in with some Magnecor HT leads. Possibly run some injector cleaner through her as well. :)

Next steps, which cost more money, are to have a manifold fitted and the inlets matched and then some headwork. Possibly fit a chip to the engine if you can. Catcams also do an uprated cam for the E7J 1400cc engine.

Last edited:
Next steps are to have a manifold fitted and the inlets matched and then some headwork. Possibly fit a chip to the engine if you can. Catcams also do an uprated cam for the E7J 1400cc engine.

Thats silly money cams, head work etc though.

Better off using the 1.6 bottom end.

Fiesta ST
Next steps are to have a manifold fitted and the inlets matched and then some headwork. Possibly fit a chip to the engine if you can. Catcams also do an uprated cam for the E7J 1400cc engine.

Thats silly money cams, head work etc though.

Better off using the 1.6 bottom end.

Aye, I meant to add that the "next step is costly". Will edit the above. ;)

Gal

A Clee O
I would say concentrate on braking and suspension then when you get a couple of NCB behind you go for the RSi or 16v Engine instead.

The amount you would spend on seriously tuning the 1.4 you may as well start with the bigger capacity and work on that instead.

RSi rear axle? To have disks instead?

Dont know how to do this (if you can) but an idea.

have to say might aswell not spend to much and save fora really nice car as soon as you have some NCB

K20 eg 217 whp.
RSi rear axle? To have disks instead?

Dont know how to do this (if you can) but an idea.

have to say might aswell not spend to much and save fora really nice car as soon as you have some NCB

yer was thinking of something like this but does seem like a lot of hastle really, think i wil just concentate on getting the front brakes sorted after xmas.

like you say im trying not to spend loads on it but its so hard not to.

mod stuff and before you know theres no money left :(

K20 eg 217 whp.
thanks for replies people, do need a haynes manual too but i am using this car as a learning cuvre really before im on to better things.......mmmm 172 maybe???? or a saxo with a massive bodykit and 8 exhausts thats so low it scrapes over stones in the road despite having 18" rims haha ( i am joking )

thanks for replies people, do need a haynes manual too but i am using this car as a learning cuvre really before im on to better things.......mmmm 172 maybe???? or a saxo with a massive bodykit and 8 exhausts thats so low it scrapes over stones in the road despite having 18" rims haha ( i am joking )

The manual won't do any harm to have its not amazing but its beetter than nothhing and its not bad.

thanks for replies people, do need a haynes manual too but i am using this car as a learning cuvre really before im on to better things.......mmmm 172

Sounds good
As far as i know it aint all that hard to change the rear axle.
Haynes manual is a good place to start also thier "modding" manual on the clio is quite usefull to get ideas.

All i can say is go for it, Haynes manual and a few basic tools and you are well away :D

As far as i know it aint all that hard to change the rear axle.
Haynes manual is a good place to start also thier "modding" manual on the clio is quite usefull to get ideas.

All i can say is go for it, Haynes manual and a few basic tools and you are well away :D

Not difficult only a few bolts then there the lines to connect but there no need.

The stock drums are btter in all respect and unless your pushing some serious power on track I'd stick with them there much better cost, reliability, strength, Plus nothting needs to be changed. If I'd have kept my old WIllaims which was track use only I'd have changed to drums I think.

Af for th haynes modding manaul if your into bodywork and interneir yep otherwise forget it.

But yep buy the best tools the best value stuff is Halfords profeshional stuff its not cheap but its cheaper than the best stuff ie SnAp on etc but its got lifetime warenties on there stuff and you'll have troble breaking it. Get cheaper stuff and you'll break it when you attach some rusted up nuts.

If you want to go quicker the best idea is to strip the car out the Mk1's have a load of extra unneeded wires since looms were common. Cut out theres and make it more racer like ir no fogs (use the holes to cool the brakes) and strip out th inside totally and its like getting a more powerful car as power to weight is better plus corners better as you need less grip as there less weight.

Then get some decinet tyres they make a huge difference.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my rear drums/shoes are gone lol its that much hastle to get shoes for it because you get 3 different kinds or some shite, renault want £80 for just shoes and local motorfactors cant tell what ones i have ?!?!?

so on the lookout for a ph3 1.6 or 172/182 rear beam now for rear disks.

my rear drums/shoes are gone lol its that much hastle to get shoes for it because you get 3 different kinds or some s**te, renault want £80 for just shoes and local motorfactors cant tell what ones i have ?!?!?

so on the lookout for a ph3 1.6 or 172/182 rear beam now for rear disks.

There three types but 1 is for the smaller drum the other two are for the bigger drum
Measure your rear drums most likly you'l have the larger size.

Then got o halofrds there only one size they keep in stock thats the most common infact few people have ever had the other type. Most dealerships will never have ordered the other type.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
cheers mate, will give it a go, i fancy rear disks anyway depending on what engine im going for next still cant decide between 1.6 and 2.0 (2.0 is going to need new brakes and coilovers which is more expense but probably worth it

cheers mate, will give it a go, i fancy rear disks anyway depending on what engine im going for next still cant decide between 1.6 and 2.0 (2.0 is going to need new brakes and coilovers which is more expense but probably worth it

You could always just use 2.0 springs if you wanted with a 2.0 engine and you can use stock brakes with a 2.0 conversion.

Rb 182
Used 16v brakes on front of mines, and a rear disc coversion from an rsi.

daddybrakes2.jpg

KIF_0388.jpg

Engine conversions are probably the best £ for performance mod.

Mines runs a 1.7t form a volvo

100_2103.gif

Hope that helps bud :)

Rover 620ti, MK1 Valver

daddybrakes2.jpg

KIF_0388.jpg

100_2103.gif

is this up and running yet?

I believe you are based in scotland?

get it along to the next RR day :evil:

Rb 182

daddybrakes2.jpg

KIF_0388.jpg

100_2103.gif

is this up and running yet?

I believe you are based in scotland?

get it along to the next RR day :evil:

Yes its running :)

Based in Livi just outside Edinburgh

It will be out to play in the spring and i hope to get it to a RR day.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=190914