ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best fast Road Brake setup

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Bought a 182 this weekend and I need to replace the front and rear disc and pads.

I know the standard setup is already pretty good when fresh, but I was hoping to improve the stopping power a little. Car will be used for driving to work in mainly, but there are some fun roads to throw it around. I'd also like to do a track day at some point, but I don't want an all out track pad for obvious reasons.

I was thinking standard renault disc and pads on the back, with Brembo HC disc or similar quality on the front, but then upgrading the front pads to something like M1144, DS2500, or maybe RC5+.

I've read good and bad about them all which is kind of making it hard to make a decision.

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Don't get the RC5+ if it's a daily they squeal so much it just gets on your nerves after a while, that being said I found them better than the ds2500 pads I had on the car previously

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I thought the RC5+ was suppose to improve the squealing issue the original RC5's had, are the revised pads still bad?

They better than the DS2500 for squealing or general performance?

To be honest my main concern is cold performance when moving away from OEM pads, i'd like something that will offer similar bite when cold to OEM ideally, but then give more power when upto temp, if there is such a pad available.

I don't mind loosing a bit of braking power when they're stone cold, as the car will be driven easily anyway until up to temp. But i'd like plenty of power there if i need them when say i've been driving down a straight road at 50mph without using the brakes for 5 minutes or so.

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Yeah I still found them to squeal a lot, the ds2500 didn't squeal at all just found the RC5+ to give a better 'bite' but I don't know if that was down to simply them being new pads on new disks as I replaced the worn out ds2500 for them

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
For road bembo hc disks and ds2500 are ideal imo, along with braided lines and decent fluid

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
To be honest my main concern is cold performance when moving away from OEM pads, i'd like something that will offer similar bite when cold to OEM ideally, but then give more power when upto temp, if there is such a pad available..

ATM I am running CL RC6 pads, and these have much better bite when cold compared to OEM pads, and when hot work even better.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
For road bembo hc disks and ds2500 are ideal imo, along with braided lines and decent fluid
I was leaning more towards this setup initially, as it does seem one of the more popular.

ATM I am running CL RC6 pads, and these have much better bite when cold compared to OEM pads, and when hot work even better.
I thought the RC6 were more track based than the RC5+ to be honest, so i've not really considered them. Have you any experience with the DS2500 too, to compare?

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Ive had ds2500, do not believe the hype. Byker grove remix???

Chap on here ran brembo pads and discs with good affect on track
This is my issue with choosing pads, it seems quite split on whether they're good or crap.

I've run standard Brembo Disc and Pads on my old 182, which were decent. Just hoping to improve on it a little if possible.

I have no complaints about the DS2500/Brembo disc combo, for road use and Autosolos
where cold grab is the requirement.

Sounds promising, have you tried anything else to compare with?

I also ran pagid pads and discs which were great

These the OEM level, or uprated?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Standard stuff. Did two track days in a set years ago, were fine. The 1144 mintex pads I have now are pretty good too.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Rc6 pads and trox discs up front..standard OE discs and pads on rear. Yes they squeal but bite hard from cold and never any fade on track doing 20mins stints, with fog lights in place.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Standard Brembo type are fine for fast road on standardish power, if you need anything more you should probably think about saving that type of driving for the track/competition. I've cooked road pads before but if your really dialed into the car then you will find that you actually brake less, its over cautiousness that cooks brakes most of the time i have found. The Brembo stuff seems to take an absolute smashing for a road pad.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
If standard is the best setup then great, it'll save me some cash. Just while i'm changing everything, i'd rather pay a little more now and get something better if I can without going all out and replacing the calipers and mounts, etc.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I was leaning more towards this setup initially, as it does seem one of the more popular.

I thought the RC6 were more track based than the RC5+ to be honest, so i've not really considered them. Have you any experience with the DS2500 too, to compare?

Yes I have run DS2500/ DS3000 the CL RC6 have the best cold bite IMO.

If the car is used mainly on the road I would run CL RC5 pads, Brembo HC discs.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I've ordered Genuine Renault rear disc and pads with new nuts and washers, with Brembo plain disc and pads for the fronts.

I'll see how i get on with this setup and then revisit if need be, i figured the brembo pads are only £30. So might as well try these out before throwing £130+ on pads. Hopefully a refreshed setup will be all i need. Plus there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer on whether anything else would actually be better on the road.

Thanks for all the help though.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Ordered through 'Road Track Race Parts' website, Disc were £45 a pair and Pads were £29

In total for everything I paid a few quid over £200 delivered

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I have been using the OEM Brembo stuff but for their replacement I've gone for Pagid.
25% off code at ECP meant front discs were £44 and pads £22.

In comparison to the brembos, the pagid pads are slotted & chamfered plus the discs coated with anti-rust paint.

I'll see how they once fitted but these seem to be the better deal.

E92 M3, BG 182
I recently fitted new Brembo HC discs and CL RC5+ pads to the front of my 182. The CL's performance is amazing but the squeel and screech so much I took them out and but Brembo pads back in. The noise from the CL's was just too embarrassing on the daily drive to work lol

M2 Comp
I've just fitted DS2500 pads and Brembo HC discs at the front and then standard discs and pads at the rear, with HEL braided lines and refurbished calipers all-round. I've yet to put it to test properly, but it was what George (aka Road Track Race Parts) recommended for fast road use with the occasional track day, and that's good enough for me. By the way, if noise is a concern (as it was for me), the above setup has been silent for me so far.

'10 Clio200
Standard pads fade quickly on spirited driving, specially if it's a mountain road. Although they recover quickly and last many miles.

Ds2500 are great all rounders that will endure trackday use. IMO they're the best compromise for OP. I don't like biting when cold and I think they're expensive.

Never tried CL RC5 (could be better option than ds) but I had RC6 and were amazing... Impressive bite from cold that only improves with temperature... But the dust sticks to the body panels and the rims and it's very difficult to remove. Oh, and ate my discs in 6000 miles. Also noisy as fcuk, but never minded because rally car.

And OP, if Brembo OEM (I do not like them) aren't enough, give Ferodo premier a try. As JB21 says, they are very good. Had 3 sets already on a 206gti and they even endure mild trackdays (with the 307 big brakes).

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
I'm running RC5+ pads and Brembo HC discs.

I like this set up so far however three main downsides:

1. Dust - these pads give off a lot of dust.
  2. Cost - these pads are expensive IMO (relative the car IMO).
  3. Squeal - they make a lot of noise when driving on the road.

I don't drive my car much so not a massive issue but the noise and dust would drive me crazy if using daily. The wheels are filthy after less than 50 miles.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
My front pads are about ready for changing again now.

The OEM Brembo pads lasted surprising well at Donington Park for a track day i did in November last year, only noticed brake fade starting a few times, but was trying to manage the number of hot laps i did back to back most of the day, knowing my brake situation. Though at one point i did manage about 7 or 8 fast laps before i noticed a bit of fading, so back off for a lap before getting back on it. Managed to melt the paint on the wheel though, but they were just rattle canned so no big deal (ordered some brand new 1.2's a couple of weeks later). I managed to get through 2 full tanks of fuel though that day too, including the drive there and back from home (Nottingham so only down the road).

Anyway, looking to try the Ferodo Pads this time around. Does anyone now the correct product number for these?..... Ferodo FDB1420?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Is that the Pagid code for the Blues? I had them, liked them a lot.

RC5+ also good, as are Hawk HP+, but I don't think they do the latter for Clios.
I believe so. The ones I have were also known as "Pagid Blue's"
~£190 for a front set

So much meat on them. They'd outlast the disk in terms of heat too (brembo hc).

I believe so. The ones I have were also known as "Pagid Blue's"
~£190 for a front set
Ah, cool, that's the same ones I had. I liked them a lot and they lasted a good couple of years, with a couple of track sessions along the way, so would buy them again if feeling flush lol.

They had some small cracks in the material when I eventually took them off (think I swapped to the RC5+) but they still worked fine!

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
How did you get on with the pagid pads mate? @Amos91

It my disc / pad of choice still to be fair. Good on the road and even took a significant amount of abuse at Bedford Autodrome for an evening session. After about 15 / 20 mins they started to fade, but for less than £20 a set of pads its ideal.

I now just stock up on them and change them after the trackday etc.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
It my disc / pad of choice still to be fair. Good on the road and even took a significant amount of abuse at Bedford Autodrome for an evening session. After about 15 / 20 mins they started to fade, but for less than £20 a set of pads its ideal.

I now just stock up on them and change them after the trackday etc.

Oh good mate,are these the pads you got?.i got them ECP to.

IMG_0835.JPG
IMG_0836.JPG