ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black 182 Track Toy...

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Bit of an update. More interior removed. Passenger airbag out and more wiring hidden/removed...

IMG_4484.jpg

Speed-lines on...

IMG_4474.jpg

IMG_4473.jpg

I wasn't happy with the way the front end was looking. So I got some new headlights, sprayed the badge black and restored both grills with some Auto Gylm polish. I think it looks much better. In need of a clean but I ran out of time today. Before and after...

IMG_4486.jpg

IMG_4505.jpg

Also found a problem with the brake ducting. The tubing is held on to both ends by cables ties which is fine the first time you fit them but every time you want to take the bumper off/put it back on its a right pain. So left them off for now and see if i can find something else. Slightly ashamed but my inner chav came out. The car is jacked up here so no laughing at the arch gap...

IMG_4487_1.jpg

My toys :hearteyes::car::stig: (not the Harley)...

IMG_4506.jpg

Speaking of toys the Mrs bought me another experience day at Thruxton. Drove A Porsche Cayman, Lambo Hurrican and Single Seater Renault. Had a great time. Was in the Porsche about 4 laps in we were so deep in conversation about track days and the clio, and how he used to race them etc we forgot what lap we are on and that he hadn't given me any instruction so got another free lap out of it. Got some great compliments on my driving and how i was handling the cars. Instructor was really pushing me in the Porsche to go faster harder every lap, overtaking a lot more powerful cars. The Lambo was something else, ridiculously powerful and just a monster. The only one to overtake me was Tiff Needell doing his fast laps in a m4 i think it was. The single seater was great fun and just a completely different car, still was overtaking the supercars so must have been doing something right...

IMG_4468.jpg

IMG_4467.jpg

Anyway back to the clio. Just got her booked in next saturday to have.... Full polybush kit, coilovers/rarb installed, axle spacers behinds and hubcentric in front, stud conversion and camber bolts/shims installed. The full geo setup for track use. Very excited about this part and now looking at booking track days/more tuition. Any recommendations? Ive seen a few people mention Bedford for newbies but it is a bit of a treck for me wouldnt mind keeping it closer to home?

Will keep this updated :up:

Great progress again, really am feeling a set of those wheels for mine at the mo :grin:

Will look awesome when lowered on the coilivers though, that'll make it sit much better on the wheels............... oh and those stickers are acceptable, they don't cover half the rear panel lol!

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Great progress again, really am feeling a set of those wheels for mine at the mo :grin:

Will look awesome when lowered on the coilivers though, that'll make it sit much better on the wheels............... oh and those stickers are acceptable, they don't cover half the rear panel lol!

thanks :D i think there is a set for sale the same as mine on here. buy them before i do! i need a set for wet tyres

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Sorted out the insurance today. Drove the Clio to the garage to fuel up and check tyre pressures. On the way back got the battery light come on. Then speedo died. Then traction control light came on. Then started doing the infamous battery Is dying sound. So it's on a slow charge overnight. if the battery's dead off to halfords tomorrow. Really hope the alternator isn't dead as its a two hour drive to the guy doing the suspension tomorrow. Amazing timing. :rage:

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
How did you rate the Cayman? I've got one and just bought a Clio Cup but haven't picked it up yet so don't have a comparison although mine is to be converted into a stage rally car.

I liked it. Felt very stable and safe at Thruxton (which has a lot of flat out foot planted corners). The one I drove was an automatic which I think let it down slightly. It didn't feel ready to go enough. I didn't get a chance to play with the settings though so it may have different modes (on my golf r you can change the transmition to sport mode which won't let the revs drop below 3000). Nice car tho, probably one of the more usable/liveable with of the range. I'd quite happily have one.

The 172/182's are a very different car to drive. They are very nippy and stable but feel so much (for want of a better word) rawer. Seems you have to be more awake and concentrating on what your doing (which is probably what makes them such great track/race cars). My golf is double the power, but because there are so many creature comforts and electronic systems it feels so sensible and easy to drive, which is what the Cayman felt like, but in a way the Clio feels faster and more raw because you can feel/hear everything it's doing.

Last edited:
  MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Update:

Soooo driving up to the matey who was going to do some work for me the car died (3 times). Luckily i thought ahead and got a mate to follow me in his car with jump leads and every time it died we managed to jump it. Was very stressful but we got there in the end. He managed to source/fit a new alternator and that's cured the problem so that's good! Anyway here's what its had done:

• Installed BC Racing coilovers & adjustable top mounts
  • Installed Whiteline RARB
  • Full suspension/roll bar polybushed
  • Engine mount polybushed
  • Axle spacers behind and hubcentric infront
  • Camber bolts/shims
  • Hub stud conversion
  • Full get setup to use the 15" 2118's and R888R's
Here's some piccys:

IMG_4678.jpg

IMG_4687.jpg

IMG_4686.jpg

IMG_4684.jpg

IMG_4683.jpg

IMG_4688.jpg

IMG_4690.jpg

Also done a few other things to tidy up the car/help on the track like pms tow eye and matte black sunstrip. Bedford is booked for the 17th October so cant wait for that. Ive joined the group buy for a full cage from MarkFish so thats next on the list a long with some buckets and harness. Thinking Sparco Evo LF's & Schroth Clubman 2 6points. Let me know what you guys think.

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Where are your door cards from, what have you done with the electric window switches or you fitting poly windows?

The door cards are from a group buy on here from Bristolnate. I've just tucked them behind the cards for now. Once the cage and harness are done the next step will probably be fibreglass body parts and plastic windows so didn't see the point in wrecking these. I don't use the car for anything but track so it doesn't bother me

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Hi, Nice to meet you on Monday. I have a couple of vids from Bedford with your car in them. Would you like me to out them on here? Your car was going well, especially for its first time out!

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Hi, Nice to meet you on Monday. I have a couple of vids from Bedford with your car in them. Would you like me to out them on here? Your car was going well, especially for its first time out!

Hi mate. Was good to meet you. Had great fun chasing you around Bedford. I was waiting for you to come flying pass me and outbreak me on that hairpin :smile: what brakes are you running you were stopping seriously quick? I remember you said you had to run the 16's.

Yeah put the vids up mate that would be great! :up:

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
Hi mate. Was good to meet you. Had great fun chasing you around Bedford. I was waiting for you to come flying pass me and outbreak me on that hairpin :smile: what brakes are you running you were stopping seriously quick? I remember you said you had to run the 16's.

Yeah put the vids up mate that would be great! :up:

I'm running the PMS 300mm disc brembo 4 pot conversion with DS3000 pads. Only just fits under the standard wheel with 25mm spacers and wheel weights on the inside:tearsofjoy:

First video is before lunch (I think your mate was driving?)

Second video is after lunch after the Red flag

It felt even closer than the video shows at the end of the back straight 🙈:up:

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
I'm running the PMS 300mm disc brembo 4 pot conversion with DS3000 pads. Only just fits under the standard wheel with 25mm spacers and wheel weights on the inside:tearsofjoy:

great vids. looks so much slower on camera than it feels when driving. its brilliant watching 3 182's in a row go flying past the GTR 😂😂😂

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Haven't got too much to report at the moment. Took the car to a very foggy Castle Combe. We didn't get track time till after lunch which was annoying but nothing you can do about it so spent the time talking to everyone and drooling over the Radicals and a 400bhp CooperS. The car has been flawless so far, hasnt skipped a beat. Really happy with the setup and everything. I'm burning through the toyo's :smilingimp: Might switch to the DS1.11 pads for the fronts when the DS2500's die. Few pics from Combe...

IMG_4758.jpg

IMG_4785.jpg

IMG_4788.jpg

IMG_4787.jpg

Just been doing a few bits and bobs to the car to improve it nothing too exciting. Waiting on the cage at the moment then once I have a date can order some buckets etc. Bedford is booked again for the 19th this month and that might be it for the year. Will be doing my trailer license over winter so I can take the car off the road and really strip it out.

IMG_4781.jpg

106 xsi s1 Clio 172
How you find the bc's mate ? I've been toying with the idea lately can get a pretty good deal on them

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
How you find the bc's mate ? I've been toying with the idea lately can get a pretty good deal on them

They have been spot on. My mechanic/Motorsport prep guy was very impressed with the quality. They have been great on track so far. Brilliant on the full hard setting. Brutal on the road though. But you can turn them to soft I guess. Get the adjustable top mounts too. Think for the money there isn't much better :up:

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Did another day at Bedford. Car behaved brilliantly only problem is im eating tyres haha

IMG_4815.jpg

Bank account has taken one for the team recently. Managed to pick up another set of 2118's with some wet tyres, was lucky enough to get a battery cover from the group buy and fitted a ktec induction at the same time.

IMG_4813.jpg

IMG_4808.jpg

Then i really went to town:

IMG_4827.jpg

IMG_4828.jpg

IMG_4826.jpg

IMG_4830.jpg

Sparco Evo LF buckets with subframes and runners, Schroth 6 point harnesses, trs carbon fibre roof vent, cm composites brake duct system. Hopefully going to have time to get this all in before the new year. Then just waiting on the cage and can get the interior painted when that's fitted. :up: