ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black 182 Track Toy...

172 cup
What's the quality of that roof vent like have you hade chance fit it yet get some pics up mate been looking at getting that one my self

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
What's the quality of that roof vent like have you hade chance fit it yet get some pics up mate been looking at getting that one my self

Quality wise looks amazing (I'm a sucker for real carbon). It's getting fitted with my cage so still in its box at the moment. Hopefully in by the end of Jan. :up:

E46 M3, Clio 182
Just read through and looks like you're making good progress. I'm only down the road (Salisbury), currently building a track 182 myself for next year.
Lead Foot Racing in Larkhill can install or build you a cage, seen some of there fabrication and it's impressive, good bunch of guys too!

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Just read through and looks like you're making good progress. I'm only down the road (Salisbury), currently building a track 182 myself for next year.
Lead Foot Racing in Larkhill can install or build you a cage, seen some of there fabrication and it's impressive, good bunch of guys too!

Another local yokel! I've not heard of them but I know Larkhill pretty well. My cage from safety devices is coming in the new few weeks so all the new goodies will be going in before the end of Jan hopefully

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Nothing too much exciting going on at the moment. Really boring time of year. Moved house which means Clio has its own garage now. It fits but is too small to do any work on which is a shame but at least its inside and have space to keep spares and sets of wheels. Might be moving work units to a bigger one so it might end up there yet but I like having it at home...

IMG_3309.jpg

Picked up a few more parts that need fitting. PMS a/c delete, PMS racing exhaust with decat and PMS gear linkage kit. Also got a Ricky Evans heated front screen so we can completely ditch the heaters and fans to save weight. Came in a nice big box (not sure how im going to get it to my guy yet)....

IMG_3178.jpg

Been doing little things that I can do while its waiting to go off for the cage. Fitted the dash pod and made up the seat runners and frames ready to go in so I can strip out the seat belts and get the Trendlines out (which i will be selling)...

IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_3304.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

Still have the golf. I'm in two minds weather to keep it and spend some money on it and chase 400bhp or get rid of it, sell the work van and buy something like a T5.1 Sportline. Would be nicer for work and better for towing the Clio around. I do love this thing though...

IMG_4253.jpg

Speaking of towing I need to do my towing license this year. Planning a ring and spa trip in the summer which will be amazing and there is no way im driving the clio that far, its brutal on the road now. After that pretty set on doing my B race license ready for Tricolore Production Plus in 2018. Dying to take the plunge into racing. Next update will probably be after evething has been installed and will have some nice pics for you lot :wink:

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
who's doing your cage and how much is it costing?
Supplied by MarkFish from the group buy. Fitted by my guy. I went for this Option 4 - Full cage, cross door bars, fixed cross diagonal & harness bar, with or without optional tunnel brace and B post brackets - £830.00

dan's cast offs.
Supplied by MarkFish from the group buy. Fitted by my guy. I went for this Option 4 - Full cage, cross door bars, fixed cross diagonal & harness bar, with or without optional tunnel brace and B post brackets - £830.00

no worries, was going to say we've got a guy by us who does a full weld in at a bloody good price.

Great progress again with the car parts all coming together, should be a right little weapon this!!! Will be interested to see that dash pod etc etc all fitted and plumbed in. The Golf is stunning though, I'd have to keep that as a comfy daily but appreciate the idea of the better towing van :up:

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Car looks awesome! Might want to get yourself one of the larger throttle pedals too, really cheap and help with heel & toe especially on track. Got one on mine and it just makes it easier to get those blips quickly.

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Great progress again with the car parts all coming together, should be a right little weapon this!!! Will be interested to see that dash pod etc etc all fitted and plumbed in. The Golf is stunning though, I'd have to keep that as a comfy daily but appreciate the idea of the better towing van :up:

Plan is to get the whole dash flocked after fitting without the lower dash and with the cage in to tidy it up. I do love driving it and its DSG so great fun in manual with the flappy paddles. :smilingimp:

Car looks awesome! Might want to get yourself one of the larger throttle pedals too, really cheap and help with heel & toe especially on track. Got one on mine and it just makes it easier to get those blips quickly.

Thanks! Ive seen a set from someone on here. Was in the group buy section think. :up:

Clio 172 Merc ML55

You're waiting for the new cage to be produced I assume? I emailed safety devices last week and they've confirmed the current ones are no longer Msa approved and are now specified as track day only

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
You're waiting for the new cage to be produced I assume? I emailed safety devices last week and they've confirmed the current ones are no longer Msa approved and are now specified as track day only

Im at a bit of a loss with what to do with it to be honest. Ive ordered the old cage (my order was placed before this whole problem started). I dont know weather to install it for now and change it (which would be a pain in the ass) or sell it as a track cage and buy a custom cages msa spec weld in. I could pull out of the buy but i've paid the deposit and dont want to be a pain for MarkFish. But he also said that the cages were going to be in for delivery around xmas last time I spoke to him and we are a month on now and i've heard no more. Its all a bit of a mess at the moment.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I ended up waiting at least a month over the quoted date when I got mine, I'm keeping mine in and pushing back competitive racing for 2018, I've been told by the Mrs to buy another shell and cage it, then swap everything over from my current car.

Its a pain but I don't really have any other choice just yet as space is at a premium until I find somewhere to keep my trailer

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
I ended up waiting at least a month over the quoted date when I got mine, I'm keeping mine in and pushing back competitive racing for 2018, I've been told by the Mrs to buy another shell and cage it, then swap everything over from my current car.

Its a pain but I don't really have any other choice just yet as space is at a premium until I find somewhere to keep my trailer

Might give him a call tomorrow and see where its all standing. Really cba with swapping cages. But then i remember he said he was talking to SD about making the new front cages compatible with the old rears which wouldn't the the end of the world if I had to swap over. Its a pain in the ass at the moment. There no point installing any of what ive got waiting to go in until the cage situation is resolved and now is the time of year to get it done as its just sat in my garage waiting for the weather to cheer up.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I'll grab a screen shot of the email SD sent me, basically they won't be doing anything for those of us who have the existing cage, no new front sections or compatible replacements etc etc :(

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
I'll grab a screen shot of the email SD sent me, basically they won't be doing anything for those of us who have the existing cage, no new front sections or compatible replacements etc etc 😧

b****cks. Thank you for putting that up that's great help :up: Wonder if im better off just cancelling my order and loosing my deposit? (Was £100 but otherwise im going to be stuck with a useless cage. Guess selling it wont be easy as most people who want a cage will want a MSA spec one.)

Clio 172 Merc ML55
It may well be, £100 isnt the end of the world compared to being stuck with a cage that can't be used. Unless Mark Fish can do something regarding the 'new' style cage

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
I'm on the list for the new cage with Mark Fish. I've been told 20th March (approximately) delivery for it and then it will still need installing. Not ideal but the above email above has confirm it will be worth the wait. Ideally I wanted to be using the car again early March:pensive:

Last edited:
  Clio 182
That's absolute crap that they won't make the new style front cage compatible with the old rear cage.....don't see any reason why they can't other than to make someone have to buy a complete new cage that has the old one!! Very poor show from safety devices if that is the case (and I fitted a full cage last year with the intention of being able to race the car at some point). Most Clio's I've seen at race meetings have the bolt in dash dodger type cage!!

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
I'm on the list for the new cage with Mark Fish. I've been told 20th March (approximately) delivery for it and then it will still need installing. Not ideal but the above email above has confirm it will be worth the wait. Ideally I wanted to be using the car again early March:pensive:

I was tempted to do the same but I don't really want to wait that long for a cage. Been waiting two months now to find out this one isn't going to be good enough.

That's absolute crap that they won't make the new style front cage compatible with the old rear cage.....don't see any reason why they can't other than to make someone have to buy a complete new cage that has the old one!! Very poor show from safety devices if that is the case (and I fitted a full cage last year with the intention of being able to race the car at some point). Most Clio's I've seen at race meetings have the bolt in dash dodger type cage!!

Think it was MarkFish's idea to save people money and hassle but safety devices arn't doing it from what I've heard. I know a few that race with this cage but some havent heard about it. Guess everyone will find out when they go for scrutineering

Clio 182
Think it was MarkFish's idea to save people money and hassle but safety devices arn't doing it from what I've heard. I know a few that race with this cage but some havent heard about it. Guess everyone will find out when they go for scrutineering

Having got the cage myself I can't see how/why the newer style front section couldn't fit the old style rear cage as that won't change I don't expect, would be purely a money making exercise in my opinion!
Ive got a friend who fitted mine who is a fabricator/cage builder anyway so will mention it to him as to whether he could either mod my front section or fabricate a new front section altogether.......

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Having got the cage myself I can't see how/why the newer style front section couldn't fit the old style rear cage as that won't change I don't expect, would be purely a money making exercise in my opinion!
Ive got a friend who fitted mine who is a fabricator/cage builder anyway so will mention it to him as to whether he could either mod my front section or fabricate a new front section altogether.......

SD did touch on the fact they've changed the material cages are made from, whether that has an impact or not I don't know, short of going to the MSA, which I am tempted to do to be honest

Clio 182
Your car is looking really good by the way!
I've got a very similar spec'd 182 (racing blue) with the bc's etc and a gripper diff.....great little cars!!
I only live 10 minutes from Combe so go there a lot, may see you there sometime

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
I'll turn up to first race of the season at Combe and see what's what (as a spectator rather than competitor)

feel sorry for the guy that's £300 out of pocket and not allowed to race 😅

Your car is looking really good by the way!
I've got a very similar spec'd 182 (racing blue) with the bc's etc and a gripper diff.....great little cars!!
I only live 10 minutes from Combe so go there a lot, may see you there sometime

thanks. how do you find the gripper? thats probably next on my list after the interior work is finished. im not far away about 10 minutes from Thruxton so yeah that would be good :up:

Clio 182
thanks. how do you find the gripper? thats probably next on my list after the interior work is finished. im not far away about 10 minutes from Thruxton so yeah that would be good :up:

I've not made it to Thruxton yet but we keep saying we should go for a change, have you done it in your Clio yet?!
Gripper was a very expensive mod as I had the box rebuilt at the same time and a lower ratio 5th gear......definitely gives me the edge over a mate in his with a similar spec without the diff, out of the chicanes especially.
Last year managed to lap in the 1.19's at Combe with the diff on a couple of dry trackdays which isn't too bad for a standard power car.
I'm booking my first day of the year at Combe late March

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
I've not made it to Thruxton yet but we keep saying we should go for a change, have you done it in your Clio yet?!
Gripper was a very expensive mod as I had the box rebuilt at the same time and a lower ratio 5th gear......definitely gives me the edge over a mate in his with a similar spec without the diff, out of the chicanes especially.
Last year managed to lap in the 1.19's at Combe with the diff on a couple of dry trackdays which isn't too bad for a standard power car.
I'm booking my first day of the year at Combe late March

Driven Thruxton a fair few times now but not in the clio. Definitely on the list for this year though. I was looking to get the box rebuilt at the same time as well (seems stupid not to).

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
b****cks. Thank you for putting that up that's great help :up: Wonder if im better off just cancelling my order and loosing my deposit? (Was £100 but otherwise im going to be stuck with a useless cage. Guess selling it wont be easy as most people who want a cage will want a MSA spec one.)

For the sake of £100 i would be cancelling my order and going the custom cages route, or have tom johnson on here make you a cage. I have a SASSA full 8 point cage here to weld into mine that i got direct from SASSA (they make the oreca racing cages amongst others) for under £600 delivered

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
For the sake of £100 i would be cancelling my order and going the custom cages route, or have tom johnson on here make you a cage. I have a SASSA full 8 point cage here to weld into mine that i got direct from SASSA (they make the oreca racing cages amongst others) for under £600 delivered

Exactly what i've just done. Pulled out of the Safety Devices buy and I'm currently talking to Tom about a cage. :up: It's a shame really because i've only ever heard good about the safety devices cages and Markfish and I don't like messing people around but a non spec cage is going to be useless to me.

Astra VXR NBG ED
Great read that.

I note you've mentioned trailer license a few times. With what the Clio weighs now, dependant on your tow vehicle, you could probably get a trailer now and not need to do your license.

I've got a Woodford 400KG trailer with a 1200KG car. I pull it with a MK7 Golf GTD so i imagine your Golf R would pull it too. It does however depends on the MAM of the car and the trailer combined.

Cracking read though!