ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bonnet rust - why?

200,182 Trophy, Cup
What is it that makes the front o/s leading edge of the bonnet rust on the phase 2 Clios. My Trophy seems to have escaped it up to now but many cars seem to suffer from it. I could understand it on wheelarches and sills where dirt gets trapped but the bonnet surely keeps fairly clean.
Is it a corrosion problem from the inside out or from perforation from the outside and why the offside of the bonnet only or predominately? I'm guessing keeping clean, waxoyled etc possibly helps prevent

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Mine has the same rust on the leading edge. I'd guess it's from stonechips on the edge which then leads to paint peel/water getting underneath. The bumpers/wings are obviously plastic but you can see the amount of stonechips they get.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
You've not owned them long enough to tell ;) To be honest, when i've seen it happen it's always been on BG bonnets!

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Both my Trophies had this rust spot on the drivers side lower corner.

My current Trophy will be booked in for a brand new bonnet and respray very soon - this will finish the work to do list :)

200,182 Trophy, Cup
Well I've looked at 2 Cups recently and both were rusting in same place. I just wondered if anyone had investigated the cause. Just seems strange with it occurring in the same place on the bonnet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I've looked at 2 Cups recently and both were rusting in same place. I just wondered if anyone had investigated the cause. Just seems strange with it occurring in the same place on the bonnet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it rust from the inside were there is no paint, moisture gets trapped buy the way the seam sealer is applied, best to get a new bonnet.

I remember seeing this around 5 years ago...

24092010137.JPG

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
My bonnets not had paint i'm pretty sure. It needs it now though, or replacing altogether as it's dented too.

You should have seen my bonnet at circa 120k. If any polish went near it, it was like a shower of Tipp-Ex brushes had been flicked all over it. It had corrosion on the nearside front lip - purely through a stone-chip and it was cheaper to buy a new unpainted bonnet, then black-gold it - rather than to fix it.

I do think the shape and angle of the Clio bonnet doesn't help. Although its the longest I've owned a car, the ratio of chips compared to others I've had is shocking. My Evo's bonnet got just two chips that I noticed in the time I had it - something which helped with it being much flatter, imo.