ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broadband network question

Mito Sportiva 135
Hi all. I currently have an awful internet connection (c. 1.5mb dl speed) but OpenReach are upgrading my cabinet later this year, which I anticipate will increase speed significantly up to c.30-50mb dl speed. I have a couple of questions and wondering if anyone can help answer them:

1. Upon OpenReach completing their upgrade, will my home internet speed automatically increase or will I have to do anything myself or contact my ISP to capitalise on the greater bandwidth?
2. I currently have Sky Broadband with their standard router. This will be about 3 years old by the time the upgrade happens. Is it worth me contacting Sky to try and get a newer router? Are there any advantages of newer routers?
3. I currently use a powerlink adaptor from my main telephone point to my games room upstairs, directly above where my router is. However I was considering finding an electrician to create an additional telephone point so I can hardwire in my Xbox. How much approximately should this cost?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
1. You're probably going to need a new product, as you won't be on a fibre product I imagine with 1.5mb?
2. It'll be a new router if you're on ADSL at the moment
3. Phone an electrician and ask... but you won't get far trying to connect the Xbox before the router.. the Xbox isn't a router (or a modem)

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
On 3. I wouldn't bother. You want to keep the router connected to the master telephone socket in the house to get the best speed.

However, if you mean a network (CAT5E CAT6) connector, then yes get a quote and see.

DCi
1 - you will have to upgrade to a fibre package but you can get deals so shop about

2 - new package, new router

3 - power lines will be sufficient unless you are really fussy