ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Budget track car ..

Clio 172
Well end of summer last year picked a 172 for £400 to take part in track days. I sure many people before has said about building a track on a budget blah blah but this has purely just been there give me something to do and give my self a break from .
Car has not really had any work done on at all until the last few weeks . I've pretty much been patient in buying parts on the forum and off the wonderful world eBay .

Clio 172
Are you bothering with the belts? Or will you just buy another cheap one/engine if they go?
Well the dephaser is starting to make some noise . Plan was to just replace the engine as I've seen some with belts for around 300-400 and some even cheaper . It's what a mate of mine has done in the past !

Clio 172
Wheels

Attachments

• IMG_1492.JPG
    IMG_1492.JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 101
  Clio 172
Heating all stripped out . Eventually will get round to doing an air con delete . Did wonder if it's possible to strip all the crap out of ac pump and fit a bearing or something ? Not to clued up with them sort of things . Coolant plumbed back in with bits lying around .... bit pikey but does the job.

Attachments

• IMG_1494.JPG
    IMG_1494.JPG
    258.9 KB · Views: 83
  Clio 172
Yeah I don't mind paying for a proper delete kit just crossed my mind when I was hacking all the pipe work etc ... I'm not doing to bad so far ... total cost including car is just over £1000 ..
new drive shafts £130 each
Wheels £200
Gaz gha coilovers bout from matt on here £300
Top mounts £70
Parada 2 tyres £160 posted ..( bought as thought they cheap and reviews seemed ok )
Strip as much crap out car as necessary 0 lol and quite enjoyable !

Clio 172
Another night complete ! Passenger side drive shafts back few other small parts taken off car . Just waiting on coilovers ,new tyres,and drivers side shaft to arrive .. oh yeah and top up fluids !
Booked and evening session up for snetterton on the 20th ! Few of friends and family from the local area going too! First time out can't wait !

Attachments

• IMG_1495.JPG
    IMG_1495.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 95
  Clio 172
More progress ! Driveshaft are on . All fluids checked and filled . Tyres turned up yesterday and and are the wheels ready to go on car . Still waiting on coilovers to turn up ...

Attachments

• IMG_1504.JPG
    IMG_1504.JPG
    373.3 KB · Views: 75
  Clio 172
All parts arrived just in time for snetterton last night .. 3 hours before the evening session started ! Car managed to make it to snetterton gate before he driver side shaft came out and mashed it's self up ..... great start ! Thankfully my sister picked up another shaft on her way up for this one to last not even 10m ... was then I found out that the shafts supplied were to short ... I did question this with Euro crap parts when I picked them up and was reassured they were right ....
so lost money on track day gained a full refund for the shafts and now have new shafts direct from renualt at no cost !
Once again the car is back up axle stands till parts arrive ! Now looking at booking a day for 6th July as price is only £59 for the evening .

Clio 172
Pictures before snetterton and picture of this evening !

Attachments

• IMG_1515.PNG
    IMG_1515.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1516.JPG
    IMG_1516.JPG
    648.3 KB · Views: 79
  Clio 172
Sweet . One of the guys that works me and my brother also got 172s for track aswell . I haven't made it out in mine yet lol ! Been there 3 times now !

Clio 172
Well quick update /late update on the progress of the car ! Finally made it to a track day and got to drive around the track ! Car was mega !
Managed to squeeze in a couple extra mods night before turning up to snetterton plus a trip to a/e.......
ds2500 pads and a new wheel.

Note to self in future do pull boss off with socket wrench and have no nut in the centre to avoid splitting nose open ,concussions and a face like the elephant man !

Spec of car up to today

Interior stripped ( heaters bottom dash air bag etc gone )
Door cards made from hardi board which I left over from one of my job
Induction kit
Standard "go faster race holes in bumpers/bonnet
Gaz gha coilovers with stiffer springs
Ds2500 pads
Parada spec 2 tyres ( soft walls but pretty impressive for £160
Calibra wheels
Motocrosa wheel and omp boss

Will get some snaps uploaded of how she is ATM!
Do believe another trip to snetty is on for 24th July with other guys from my town !

Clio 172
Had a quick total up the other night of where I am at with costs ... just broke £1400 including buying the car . Still want to sort out cage ,seats,harness new exhaust (possible side exit something different ) and sort the engine out . Always planned on changing the engine if it went pop but kinda thinking to just suck it and sort out belts etc as seems to be a good engine ATM .....

Attachments

• IMG_1580.JPG
    IMG_1580.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 48
  Clio 172
Yeah I do keep looking at it all and keep saying to my self next time lol ... I did read some where that someone from abroad used dry ice ? Did the all the car in about 20 mins !

Clio 172
Not bad, looks quite tidy.

Next is a heat gun, scraper and some Jelsol... you'll thank me later when you've used Jelsol
Is this the stuff ???? Will be making some plastic door cards soon now we have half decent template ....

Attachments

• IMG_1582.PNG
    IMG_1582.PNG
    403.3 KB · Views: 72
Yep, that's the stuff.. it's fairly expensive, but it'll make you appreciate time when it saves you loads!

- Heat sound deadening a lot
- Scrape it off
- spray Jelsol and let it dwell for a few mins
- wipe away (it'll ruin cloths so use something you'll be throwing away)
- repeat for tough areas.

I'd suggest starting with the roof, that's the hardest section to do, only because you're working upside down.
I used 2 cans, with some left in the second can. (That included every sticky patch inside the car)

Also, a little trick for tough areas, use a cloth that's already got product and tar on it, the tar and the product work together in removing hard areas.

You'll know what I mean when you use it

Clio 172
Dw
Also, a little trick for tough areas, use a cloth that's already got product and tar on it, the tar and the product work together in removing hard areas.

You'll know what I mean when you use it
Sweet cheers mate ! Something else to do on the car whilst loveisland is on in the house !