ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buy me a £250 lens...

Bit of a big thing for me, got £250 for Christmas and it's all going on a lens as I would never normally have anywhere near that kind of money to spend on photography.

I love my Nikon 50mm 1.8 for portraits etc, my Sigma 70-300 is fantastic for motorsport (a true surprise at £100) and realistically £250 isn't going to improve matters in that department much.

I am lacking in Macro though and that is an area I really enjoy, any suggestions?

Come up with 2 so far, both £270...

Tamron 90mm F2.8 DI 1:1 SP AF Macro
Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG AF Macro Lens

Any thoughts welcome...

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Chris, have you thought about getting a wide angle lens mate? I've ummed and arred over a macro but don't think i'd see as much use from it as I would like.

306 TD Slut
wide angle.. or you can have so much fun with a fish eye! however that obviously only suits certain genres of photography.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Yeah fish eye is a good call. If I were getting a macro I'd want a macro ring light as well but of course that bumps the price up no end. Pros and Cons.

You could always invest in a decent tripod and monopod. They'll definately improve your pics mate.

Oddly enough I was reading a magazine this morning and started considering wide angle, loving the look of this...

Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle 10-20mm EX DC HSM AF

A little expensive (£300) but as I have a trip to New York coming up soon it might be a wiser investment, have read plenty of good things about it.

I do take a lot of Macro shots but as I have a 50mm 1.8 I could always use Tubes for that (which is much cheaper) and still get some fantastic results.

Rally bus
Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle 10-20mm EX DC HSM AF

A little expensive (£300)

Approx £230 + £30 p & p from Kea Photo in HK. They have an ebay shop... I've had stuff from them before and they deliver faster than it takes my local Jessops to get things in stock. I read a group test of 10-20/12-24 lenses last month and the Sigma came out top, seems like a very good lens.

Washington

ClioSport Club Member
A little expensive (£300) but as I have a trip to New York coming up soon it might be a wiser investment, have read plenty of good things about it
Save your cash until then and get your arse down to B&H, best photography shop in the world probably. Just make sure you check when they're open before you go, it's run by Hassidic Jews who observe every Jewish holiday. They're shut for 12 days in September and 15 days in October, for example o_O