ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bye Bye Skoda, Hello GT86.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Well, I had to change at some point didnt I? Although I was gutted to see the little Skoda go, I'm glad DrRollo on here is happy with it. That car was fantastic for me, but for a while now I've been toying with a newer or new car. Something with warranty, something I wont get bored of.

20995265004_ba21b485e3_c.jpg

So here it is, all 2 shite photos of it. I ended up getting it by chance really, a friend works at the local Toyota place and this 3 year old car came in. It was mint, and driving it back to back with a 15 plate car there was no noticable amount of wear on it, and it was £10k off list price. So I hastily put the Skoda up for sale, and put a deposit down on the Toyota.

Whats it like? Awesome. Really awesome. It reminds me a lot of my Old MX5, except faster and easier to have fun in. Oh, and obviously a lot more refined. A lot of people comment on the power on this thing, apparently 200bhp isn't enough. But with a slippy diff, great weight distribution and low weight it feels just right. What people do seem to forget is its about 1200kg, and RWD. If you're looking at the power and saying "TOO SLOW" then you dont get it, and thats fine by me. A lot of hot hatches in the last 10 years have had worse Power/Weight figures from the factory and people consider those fast. There are plenty of cars out there with ludicrous power figures for people to choose from, this car was quite refreshing for me.

Anyway, so far so good. Its got extremely supportive seats and whether the road is wet or dry, it makes me look like a hero. Or a lout, I havent really decided.

11999817_10156066108375385_7055973845113348704_o.jpg

And yes, you don't have to tell me the wheels are s**t. I have eyes. Bloody awful. Anyway, I'll be updating this on any adventures I take it on (Track Days, Road Trips, Into ditches).

Subscribed.
Top choice
f**king love these. Wish I got one instead of the s3.

Power doesn't bother me really, as most people on here know it's not everything. The 182 are some of the most fun cars to own and are similar power to weight. But these have the added fun of being RWD!
Naturally I love big power, but you'll usually fins you have a more intense involving drive in something better balances with less power. Ie. These or Clio RS etc.

Is it as slippery/tail happy as reviews say?

Such a gorgeous looking car.
Agree on wheels though. Not the prettiest.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Hate to say it, but not a fan. Just something lacking for me (says a ten year old Megane owner lol), glad your happy though :)

My MIL had one of these last year from new. Sold it after 6 months (coming from a WR1 & WRX Hatchback, I don't know what she was expecting). I think they're OK, but the wheels and excessive rear badges let it down IMO.

Monaco 172
I love these!! great choice. And being a Toyota it'll never break (hopefully) I use to have a GT-Four and that was bombproof as was my wife's starlet GT-Turbo and now her Aygo..

I can see me getting one of these in a few years time once littlun' is a bit bigger.

I know you don't buy performance cars for their fuel economy, but what's the MPG like with the flat four?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Good choice, driving experience over power!

I do like these, but agree on the wheels. Still more than capable of helping you lose your licence.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Subscribed.
Top choice
f**king love these. Wish I got one instead of the s3.

Power doesn't bother me really, as most people on here know it's not everything. The 182 are some of the most fun cars to own and are similar power to weight. But these have the added fun of being RWD!
Naturally I love big power, but you'll usually fins you have a more intense involving drive in something better balances with less power. Ie. These or Clio RS etc.

Is it as slippery/tail happy as reviews say?

Such a gorgeous looking car.
Agree on wheels though. Not the prettiest.

Cheers! Oh yes, very slippy. But it feels a lot less snappy than the MX5 I had. A lot easier to catch in the wet or dry. In the wet its ludicrously tail happy, but still only if you provoke it. It seems to have a good balance in that I can commute to work in comfort but on a couple of roundabouts on the way in, I can kick the tail out.

My MIL had one of these last year from new. Sold it after 6 months (coming from a WR1 & WRX Hatchback, I don't know what she was expecting). I think they're OK, but the wheels and excessive rear badges let it down IMO.

Typical Asian car with the rear badge malarky. They love a bit of badging! It is a bit of a marmite car I've found.

I love these!! great choice. And being a Toyota it'll never break (hopefully) I use to have a GT-Four and that was bombproof as was my wife's starlet GT-Turbo and now her Aygo..

I can see me getting one of these in a few years time once littlun' is a bit bigger.

I know you don't buy performance cars for their fuel economy, but what's the MPG like with the flat four?

I was expecting the worst really and it's not that bad. 30-35mpg is easily achievable on a run. I average about 35 in 50mph traffic on route to work in the morning. However, on a fast drive it does take a sharp dive to the mid 20s.

I had a mk 2.5 mx5 and found it was a bit snappy too.
These sound right up my street really.

I agree with the badging and I don't like the lights in the diffuser, fog or reverse light I think. Kidna look odd. The japs often struggle with rear ends though IMO.
The one model has a different diffuser doesn't it? Like a sport+ model. Can't think of name.

I'd want to debage the rear, maybe lower a touch and change wheels. Then it's perfect [emoji41] [emoji106]
Look forward to your updates

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
A BRZ Cosworth ran in the road going class at Harewood Hill on Sunday not massively fast but looked very nice,
They have turini's from the factory and really suited the car
edit, may be ultraleggera's
they also look great on Enkei rpf01's
16555890320_c654f3404a_o.jpg

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Every so often I get really tempted by these, really like them but I can never bring myself to buy a newish car in end.

If I needed a reliable car to get me to work I think I'd end up in one.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
There are a number of aftermarket all red rear lights that do look very nice. The Tom's ones being the best (and most expensive).

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I hate the lights, badges, exhausts and wheels. I still like them.

What's your plans?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Not many plans right now, I plan on keeping this one a while though so that can/probably will change soon! Currently trying to do my bike license as well, so thats taking up a fair bit of time and money!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Not many plans right now, I plan on keeping this one a while though so that can/probably will change soon! Currently trying to do my bike license as well, so thats taking up a fair bit of time and money!
Love the car, wheels and badges aside. More importantly, the bike! What are you getting?

I really like these, the whole concept behind them and the cars themselves, I just cant comprehend building a 2 litre car making 200bhp in 2015 and having it only do 35mpg on a run.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I don't get how they've done it, a sports car built in 2012 that does 0-60 in over 8 seconds and manages below 30mpg on a fast run.
See that's the thing, it's not a sports car. Sure it's a low slung coupe, but it's a car designed to please those who want the look of a sports car, but the fun and running costs of a hot hatch.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
See that's the thing, it's not a sports car. Sure it's a low slung coupe, but it's a car designed to please those who want the look of a sports car, but the fun and running costs of a hot hatch.
I understand that, but it's a bit show no go?

I think I, like many, am fine with the current engine being a choice, if they also offered another engine or two that was more potent.

This car would sell like hotcakes if you could get a 2.0T, 0-60 in about 6 seconds.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I understand that, but it's a bit show no go?

I think I, like many, am fine with the current engine being a choice, if they also offered another engine or two that was more potent.

This car would sell like hotcakes if you could get a 2.0T, 0-60 in about 6 seconds.
Yeah I agree, but it's hardly 'no go' it's a great engine to push on around some roads. As Waitey well knows, things get too fast for the road.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I agree, but it's hardly 'no go' it's a great engine to push on around some roads. As Waitey well knows, things get too fast for the road.
Perhaps, I guess it's just a modern replacement for the Celica, but at least with that you could get the GT4, which was a great car.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Love the car, wheels and badges aside. More importantly, the bike! What are you getting?
I already have a n L Reg Kawazaki GPZ500, for L2 Licensing purposes!
I don't get how they've done it, a sports car built in 2012 that does 0-60 in over 8 seconds and manages below 30mpg on a fast run.
Over 8 Seconds? Not sure where those times are coming from. Pretty sure the book figure is somewhere around 7.5. If you look at all the properly fun Sports cars, or at least old british ones, it follows that formula. Light weight, well balanced and FUN. The Same way the Elise is, the MX5's are, etc etc. But I'm not arguing, people who dont get it just never will. Personally I prefer driving something with a smile on my face, and that for me is flinging it around B Roads and roundabouts (oh, and track days). Not racing from the lights any that malarky.

Basically, compare one with a little hot hatch. Then remove weight, balance it up, put the drive to the back through a slippy diff and skinny tyres.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Not dismissing your choice of car though. I see a few of them about, and they look really nice, very modern - I would buy one if it was just a little bit quicker, but I couldn't go to a car that was slower than my Clio, I'd struggle to ever go backwards in terms of speed, which is going to be a problem one day I'd imagine.

At times my Clio feels too slow, and I wouldn't say I'm a speed freak, but acceleration is exhilarating, and given the speed limits in the UK, top end speed is pretty useless, so acceleration is a nice perk.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I already have a n L Reg Kawazaki GPZ500, for L2 Licensing purposes!.

Oh s**t, didn't realise you were that young! Why even bother at the moment mate? I only ask because the rules have changed now so the licenses don't auto upgrade hasn't they? So you've gotta do your whole test again to get a bigger bike?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Not dismissing your choice of car though. I see a few of them about, and they look really nice, very modern - I would buy one if it was just a little bit quicker, but I couldn't go to a car that was slower than my Clio, I'd struggle to ever go backwards in terms of speed, which is going to be a problem one day I'd imagine.

At times my Clio feels too slow, and I wouldn't say I'm a speed freak, but acceleration is exhilarating, and given the speed limits in the UK, top end speed is pretty useless, so acceleration is a nice perk.

The thing is in modern standards 1200kg is light. The Audi TT is (as ever) Based on a VAG platform, and the new platform its based on probably the lightest they've ever produced. However, its still a VERY expensive way of making a fast A3/S3 less practical. Whereas the GT86 is a LOT cheaper, and has been designed with weight distribution in mind.

Also, the acceleration feels more than enough for me to be excited. Part of the fun is working the engine for its power, oh and the fact I can literally have my foot pinned to the floor for more than a few seconds without instantly being a death speeds!

Oh s**t, didn't realise you were that young! Why even bother at the moment mate? I only ask because the rules have changed now so the licenses don't auto upgrade hasn't they? So you've gotta do your whole test again to get a bigger bike?

It's difficult for me to judge. It's almost exactly a year before I'm 24, but I know I wont want a fast bike due to the fact I have minimum experience. So having an A2 may just be me being sensible as hell. I'm in no rush to get the license REALLY so I could just wait a year before taking my full practical test.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
The thing is in modern standards 1200kg is light. The Audi TT is (as ever) Based on a VAG platform, and the new platform its based on probably the lightest they've ever produced. However, its still a VERY expensive way of making a fast A3/S3 less practical. Whereas the GT86 is a LOT cheaper, and has been designed with weight distribution in mind.

Also, the acceleration feels more than enough for me to be excited. Part of the fun is working the engine for its power, oh and the fact I can literally have my foot pinned to the floor for more than a few seconds without instantly being a death speeds!

It's difficult for me to judge. It's almost exactly a year before I'm 24, but I know I wont want a fast bike due to the fact I have minimum experience. So having an A2 may just be me being sensible as hell. I'm in no rush to get the license REALLY so I could just wait a year before taking my full practical test.
Fair play dude, it only takes 4 days to get a license if you know what you're doing anyway. It's bloody great fun, even on the a2 bikes, great great fun.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Fair play dude, it only takes 4 days to get a license if you know what you're doing anyway. It's bloody great fun, even on the a2 bikes, great great fun.
My thoughts exactly. Coming from having no bike, even restricted the bike I have will be plenty fast enough to kill myself on!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Don't know if it's been said but on YouTube there is a channel called dedicationblog and the lad on there has one on there that he has boosted (and now crashed).

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
These are a Clio 200 (same track, same wheelbase, same power, same torque*) but with a much lower centre of gravity and slippy-diff-rear wheel drive.

I really can't see what's not to like about them...other than the full list price...which you negated very well.

Love it.

* slight variances but almost identical
Didn't you repeatedly slag off the 200 after you got your ST?

Pretty sure you said it was an effort to overtake in the 200 because of lack of low end power, is that something not to like?