ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bye Bye Skoda, Hello GT86.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Had a play in one the other week, really sweet things to drive.

Was half considering getting one as a daily and track car but no way I can fit in it with a helmet on, stupid short legs long body git that I am. Wish I'd not driven it now, has a lovely playful balance.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Thought I'd update this.

I haven't really done anything to the car, I've just been enjoying it. It's done remarkably well dealing with day to day duties. Over Christmas, it made a great backup Sleigh for Santa...
24313879450_b81475f717_c.jpg

Visited Goodwood... toilets....

24501086892_00a1339cab_c.jpg

I had to swap it for this to go down to Cornwall...

23981285164_c6a7df4e9b_c.jpg

To pick up this....

24527180411_fb9bd4d22c_c.jpg

But mainly, its just been getting cold and dirty.

23981285534_86fd3bd099_c.jpg

23982617453_7bf7b36e6d_c.jpg

With the girlfriends Polo.
23981286634_787a7bbf65_c.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It doesn't need much as it's rather good. Shame they never got a better wheel design but in fairness not many brands are doing good wheels just now.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Thought I'd update this.

I haven't really done anything to the car, I've just been enjoying it. It's done remarkably well dealing with day to day duties. Over Christmas, it made a great backup Sleigh for Santa...
24313879450_b81475f717_c.jpg

Visited Goodwood... toilets....

24501086892_00a1339cab_c.jpg

I had to swap it for this to go down to Cornwall...

23981285164_c6a7df4e9b_c.jpg

To pick up this....

24527180411_fb9bd4d22c_c.jpg

But mainly, its just been getting cold and dirty.

23981285534_86fd3bd099_c.jpg

23982617453_7bf7b36e6d_c.jpg

With the girlfriends Polo.
23981286634_787a7bbf65_c.jpg

Interesting bike choice youth! You done the tests yet??

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
It doesn't need much as it's rather good. Shame they never got a better wheel design but in fairness not many brands are doing good wheels just now.
Yeah, they are truly awful. But like you said, it doesn't need messing with! I may drop it 35mm and put different wheels on it at some point... maybe.
Interesting bike choice youth! You done the tests yet??
Fits the A2 license requirements (with a restrictor) quite well! It was actually a birthday present from my Mum/StepDad. My Dad isn't too keen on it...

Hopefully going to do the tests in March-ish time. Don't really want to jump on my first bike in the winter.

Alfa GT Cloverleaf
Nice! I think these look great, and wouldn't mind one myself at some point!
My friends who own Tuningdevelopments have one which they have delveloped a load of upgrades for, I think theirs is running something just under 400 bhp now!
I saw online, one which had the standard wheels still but power coated silver, funny how much it improves them!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Cheers! Its amazing how much better wheels are when they don't have a tacky diamond cut/ black insert finish. All car manufactures are falling into this trap at the moment.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
A lot of people comment on the power on this thing, apparently 200bhp isn't enough. But with a slippy diff, great weight distribution and low weight it feels just right. What people do seem to forget is its about 1200kg, and RWD.

I've heard that said so many times, 166bhp/tonne really is the pinnacle of RWD pleasure.

VX220
I had a gpz500 for a couple of months. The restrictor washers are in the intake boots to the carbs and pop out with a screw driver when needed. Very easily.
Car looks great BTW

53 Clio's & counting
It AMAZES me how many bad reviews this car gets over power.

For YEARS the motoring press were pleading with Manufacturers for a light(er) weight, RWD sporty car that has good balance, good power, not a silly price tag, N/A for good response and what have we got? No 1 but 2 of them!

Then as soon as the Subarota pair of them were launched, a lot of the press then complained about stuff like the 'lack of power' - THIS IS WHAT YOU ALL HAVE BLOODY WANTED!!!!!

0-60 in 7 ish seconds, 7500rpm, 140ish mph - sounds pretty good to me. Yes not lightening quick, but people get WAY to hung up on numbers.

Even better in Japan they do a version with black bumpers, steel wheels, etc - purely because they know how much of a modders car they are:

car_photo_496861.jpg

I think this car will be HUGE in a few years.

I think they are fantastic and would love to own one.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Its power is the same and its weight, its wheelbase, and its track are within kilos and millimetres of a Clio 200.

Only it's rear wheel drive, has a locking diff, and a centre of gravity 400 mm off the deck.

There's nothing wrong with that at all. The problem is everyone sees the price and thinks "umm, that car cost the same and haz more powaz so this one must be s**t".

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
It's a funny thing, this car. It seems to split the motoring press up in an odd way. The likes of Clarkson, Evo and even Harris praise it for being what it is. But then you get other publications, which usually would praise such a thing or usually like 1.2 Hatchbacks, saying its got a lack of power.

In my personal opinion, 200bhp is not a small power figure. This car is comparable to the "Holy Grail" of car reviews/forums that is the MX5. And its faster, better to drive and is more practical. (I've owned two, and was very tempted by the new one).

The only things I would change are the tyres. Especially during this winter, they are borderline dangerous. They make the car very nervous and a bit vague when pushing fast (as the article above confirms). They are okay in the summer, have ample grip and can embarrass much faster cars. But I have a feeling it will get 4 Eagle F1s, or if I'm feeling flush AD08R's for the summer.

The guy at PistonHeads who has a long term one on test (Bottom spec Primo model) pretty much hits the nail on the head every write up he does. So if you ever think about getting one, I'd read through his stuff.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I had a gpz500 for a couple of months. The restrictor washers are in the intake boots to the carbs and pop out with a screw driver when needed. Very easily.
Car looks great BTW
Oh right, well I'll be on a restricted A2 license so uh.... I wont be doing that. Of course. Officer.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
The write ups on PH are spot on - although I like all of their long term roadtests!
200BHP is not 'low powered' at all - thats almost the same as a Golf GTI / warm hatchbacks with the added bonus of RWD. Having bought a quite powerful car (mapped/modded '11 GTi) I can say power does not equal fun. In fact power makes it quite boring to drive - I can almost lose my license before I've changed into 4th - does that make it fun / involving? No, quite the opposite. I had more fun in my RR'd 96BHP MK1 MX5.

Driving is about the experience not out and out numbers. I am quite tempted by one of these but, at the moment, it doesnt suit my lifestyle (long ass commutes) otherwise I would definitely have one!! The styling add ons are a bit marmite but who really gives a f**k? This is a forum for Clio owners who praise the 1*2 for what it is - an honest, fun little car - but as soon as anything else is discussed it all comes down to BHP/top speed.

My 2p.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
http://www.evo.co.uk/toyota/gt-86/1...ault-clio-cup-honda-integra-type-r-and-bmw-m3

Pinnacle of FWD as well. Shame DC2's are now got the WEEETEC tax and are going for DC5 money.
I know right, it's a shame you can't lease them! :kissingheart:

1536.gif

People who rave about the GT86 also rave about the MX5. Go figure :nomouth:

I joke, I'd have one of course. I guess they drive a bit like a E36 328i if not a bit quicker. You'll have to let me have a go in it J88SSN:innocent:

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
The thing with the GT86 was it's all about driver pleasure, it was never meant to compete with modern day hot hatches - gotta remember that. It's just Toyota having fun.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
It's a funny thing, this car. It seems to split the motoring press up in an odd way. The likes of Clarkson, Evo and even Harris praise it for being what it is. But then you get other publications, which usually would praise such a thing or usually like 1.2 Hatchbacks, saying its got a lack of power.

I really like them as a car, but you're talking nice E46 M3 money for one still, and I know it's not comparing apples with apples- but I just don't think the GT86 has enough torque to be enjoyable as a complete RWD sports package. Ironically I think it could have been better off with a 1.6T engine with the same power but 50% more torque.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
I really like them as a car, but you're talking nice E46 M3 money for one still, and I know it's not comparing apples with apples- but I just don't think the GT86 has enough torque to be enjoyable as a complete RWD sports package. Ironically I think it could have been better off with a 1.6T engine with the same power but 50% more torque.

... but that would dilute the greatness of the package. I guess Toyota wanted to make a fun NA car while they still could. Good on them!

I don't think many would argue against NA being the way when it comes to feeling truly connected to a motor. Unless they drive Mk4 Golf GTi's at a guess.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I know right, it's a shame you can't lease them! :kissingheart:

People who rave about the GT86 also rave about the MX5. Go figure :nomouth:

I joke, I'd have one of course. I guess they drive a bit like a E36 328i if not a bit quicker. You'll have to let me have a go in it J88SSN:innocent:
No, you've been to rude. Plus you'd only crash it, then not post that particular video on Youtube in fear of embarrassment...
E46 M3 was on the list. But this car was a PCP jobby, with warranty. Plus, the M3 would be right at the top end of my budget. I got burnt by an E46 330ci and I'm still put off by BMW's for a while after that. M3 repair bills will only be more expensive, and potentially more common.

Also, as above, that would ruin its character. Everythings going small output with a turbo and it's not better at all, its just meeting EU legislation. I actually think the engine has ample torque at the bottom end. I barely do rev its tits off and get all the top end power, i spent most of my time changing before 3k as you can maintain good momentum. It did take me a while to get used to the characteristics of the engine. It's very lazy bottom end with useable torque, like the 330 I had. But between 3-4 theres a dip, then suddenly it goes into VTEC BRAAAH mode. Once you have had it for a while, get used to the gearing etc. you find new ways to exploit it all I guess!

As above, its about fun not pub figures. Although on that note, (And, a lot like Clio 172/182's) I think Toyota lied a bit with the 0-60, using the scientifically proven method of random apps on my iPhone I can beat the quoted 0-60 in the wet with these widowmaker tyres.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Don't you f**king dare use the "prius tyres" phrase. I will come down to Oxford and beat you with ham fists.

215/45 is what came on the later model DC2s from the factory and they cope with it just fine. f**k, the earlier ones came with 195/55!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Are we really comparing an old M3 to a GT86!

For what it's worth I agree with Russ, I think these cars will be a tad sought after in years to come. I liked the MX5 comparison although they had different sensations of driving and speed when you're in something like an MX5.

What is the script with the tyres Jason? I understand they made them average and skinny on purpose hence the skittishness?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Don't you f**king dare use the "prius tyres" phrase. I will come down to Oxford and beat you with ham fists.

215/45 is what came on the later model DC2s from the factory and they cope with it just fine. f**k, the earlier ones came with 195/55!

For what it's worth I agree with Russ, I think these cars will be a tad sought after in years to come. I liked the MX5 comparison although they had different sensations of driving and speed when you're in something like an MX5.

What is the script with the tyres Jason? I understand they made them average and skinny on purpose hence the skittishness?

I can tell you now, im 99% sure they arent Prius tyres sizes. I imagine they'd be even skinnier?

Either way, its not the tyre size that makes it the way it is, that's not what I'm saying at all. Its the tyres themselves. Michelin Pilot Primacys. It's honestly the worst tyre I've ever had in the wet. They are also rock solid Eco things that make a shed load of noise.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I didn't think I compared them, surprised you got that from my post... More that the GT86 is still a relatively new car and you can't buy a cheap one (although this does have its benefits as JasonE says, warranty and finance options).

Also, as above, that would ruin its character. Everythings going small output with a turbo and it's not better at all, its just meeting EU legislation. I actually think the engine has ample torque at the bottom end. I barely do rev its tits off and get all the top end power, i spent most of my time changing before 3k as you can maintain good momentum. It did take me a while to get used to the characteristics of the engine. It's very lazy bottom end with useable torque, like the 330 I had. But between 3-4 theres a dip, then suddenly it goes into VTEC BRAAAH mode. Once you have had it for a while, get used to the gearing etc. you find new ways to exploit it all I guess!
Fair enough! Like I said, I enjoyed the car- at the time it was brand new and I was excited about it- but not financing 28 thousand excited. Having the car for the best part of the day it just didn't feel like I wanted it to. That's all really. But then I'm a hooligan and want to be able to power over-steer on demand, and the GT86 just isn't that car.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Fair enough! Like I said, I enjoyed the car- at the time it was brand new and I was excited about it- but not financing 28 thousand excited. Having the car for the best part of the day it just didn't feel like I wanted it to. That's all really. But then I'm a hooligan and want to be able to power over-steer on demand, and the GT86 just isn't that car.

I would argue on the Primacy's it power oversteers a little too much... especially over winter. I cant actually remember the last time the road wasn't icy or wet, so I cant remember how it was when properly Dry! lol.

For the record, mine was on 25k and cost me £16k, it was the cheapest one Toyota had in their network at the time.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I would argue on the Primacy's it power oversteers a little too much... especially over winter. I cant actually remember the last time the road wasn't icy or wet, so I cant remember how it was when properly Dry! lol.

For the record, mine was on 25k and cost me £16k, it was the cheapest one Toyota had in their network at the time.
A lot more appealing than double that price! But then I'm poor so it's irrelevant really!

I do love the seats, so so so nice.

Also FWIW I think I drove one in the summer, I remember my Clio being boiling inside when I left the Toyota dealership.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
A lot more appealing than double that price! But then I'm poor so it's irrelevant really!

I do love the seats, so so so nice.

Also FWIW I think I drove one in the summer, I remember my Clio being boiling inside when I left the Toyota dealership.
Yeah, I remember having a lot LOT more confidence when I got it in September, and it was still pretty warm back then !

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yeah, I remember having a lot LOT more confidence when I got it in September, and it was still pretty warm back then !
Like you say, tyres. I suspect if you put decent rubber on (decent grip rather than economy) you'd find it's even less playful in the dry. I've got an MR2 roadster at the moment and have the same qualm (although an MR2 is cheap enough to buy with a month's wages and needs must).

I put Pilot Sport 3s on it and it grips amazingly, did really well round Brands and starts/stops incredibly quickly- it's just not as playful as I'd like in the dry sadly. Maybe I should try some Primacys !!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I let some Eastern Europeans clean it on my lunch break. They told me it was a "Nice Car" and asked what I did for a living. I was tempted to say "Pay for a finance agreement" but didn't.

I have this dilemma! I don't want to lose its playfulness, but when I go out for a blast with mates its difficult to keep up with much slower stuff right now (Especially in the wet). I'd quite like Yoko AD08R's, but for cheaper and more "Playful" handling maybe some Eagle F1s?

IMHO eagle assymetrics are hard to beat as a solid allrounder for decent money. I've tried most things and refuse to move from them when theyre available in the correct sizes.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I had Eagle F1's on my Golf, on both sets of wheels. They were very good and very well priced!