ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt change - thanks to forum

172 Cup, Williams
Thanks to some excellent people on this forum who gave me some pointers on the above task, I successfully completed the following tasks last wekend;
New cambelt
New dephaser
New pulleys & tensioner
New waterpump
New camshaft seals
New auxiliary belt
Port matched inlet & plenum
New engine mounts
Changing the belts and timing the cams is actually a straightforward task as long as you have the genuine Renault tools.
Where I got unstuck was on evening the tension in the cambelt by rotating the belt on the pulleys. When I looked at the crankshaft pulley I could see it had a keyway, on trying to rotate it - it was stuck solid! This gave the impression tha it was locked in position with the keyway.
However after some advise on this forum it was confirmed that the crankshaft pulley was not on a keyway and was an interference fit which was probably rusted in place. After fashioning a tool I managed to release the pulley and from this point on the job was easy and logical.
I would insert an image here but its not working for me at the moment .
The most amazing difference on driving the car is from the replacement engine mounts, the car drives so much nicer and feels really tight

172 Cup, Williams
Just being pedantic sorry:wink:
I should have put a smily after my response , nothing wrong with being precise and I took your response the way it was intended :smile:
If I ask another tech question in the future, please feel free to be pedantic about an accurate response, good advise stops sh1t happening :wink:

172 Cup, Williams
Just realised how upload images so here goes;
When I stripped the cam covers off I found that everything was timed up correctly from the last cambelt change
20170708_153709.jpg

20170708_152302.jpg

Replaced the camshaft oil seals
20170709_151914.jpg

I borrowed the proper tools to get the timing right
20170712_211121.jpg

Changed the water pump too, but TBH it looked pretty good
20170708_172743.jpg

New dephaser pulley
20170709_115011.jpg

Also fitted a port matched inlet manifold and plenum chamber
20170715_142506.jpg

New spark plugs fitted and whilst I was here I carried out a compression test. Good result all cylinders the same at 13.5 bar. Did the test on a cold engine for obvious reasons.
20170715_142551.jpg

Also fitted a Supersprint exhaust system
20170722_140615.jpg

All back together and working well, next job. Whiteline sway bar and then change the Rainsport3 tyres for PS3
20170723_114112.jpg

172 Cup, Williams
matched inlets make a nice difference, you get a bit of a lump of torque mid range.
Yea, feels better mid and great at the very top. I even hit the rev limiter by accident on my test run....I usually change gear before I get near the limiter.
Just need to sharpen up the handling now, the Rainsport3 are doing me no favours at all.

172 Cup, Williams
Thanks for the info, I'll check this out.
However cats staying on, the exhaust noise is at the upper limit for me as it is :up:

172 Cup, Williams
Put the Whiteline swaybar on today.
Amazing! it was a 30 minute job which actually took about 30 mins!
Nothing snapped, broke, sheared or was rusted solid. Mind you I have pretty much gone through the car now so there is not much that can go wrong really.
Only had a short test drive, feels a lot tighter in the corners, the rear end felt a little more lively, which is good.

Just need to get some decent "dry" rubber in the car and ditch the Rainsports.
I'm struggling to select some tyres in the Cup sizing that will be suitable, keep reading reports that X tyre is amazing, omly to read the next report that says X tyre is sh1t.

Would love to put some AD08r's on it, but they do not come in a small enough size.
20170730_131313.jpg

20170730_131251.jpg

172 Cup, Williams
Running std fitment 195/45 16.
I know that I could put a 205/50 16 AD08r on it, but would rather keep to std fitment size....I'm a fussy bugger I know :wink:

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Have you bumped the pressure up in the Rainsports? They usually need 5-10psi more than normal because they are so soft.
With extra air in they feel much better to drive on.

Polybushing the front ARB is a good shout, bit of a pig to do but it really sharpens things up at the front.
Don't be tempted to do the lower arms at the same time, quite a few people have done every bush in poly and then moaned about how stiff and uncomfortable the ride is.