ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Camber shims....a few questions

Clio 172
Hi Guys, I am loking to get some camber shims for the ph1 as its mainly for track use so poor road driving wouldn't bother me. The questions are where do I get them from? What degree of camber is recommended (I was thinking -1/-1.5) and do I need front and rear shims or will fronts suffice?

Thanks Andy

Hi mate, you can get two types of shims that I know of. One is the plastic type with the hole in the middle from tweek's, k-tec etc. The other are the metal one's like I use from Pure motorsport they are nearly double the price at £30 for a pair of 1 degree but apparently the plastic ones can suffer cracking. The only problem I find with the PMS one's are there is no hole in the middle so the stub axle wasn't sitting flush with my rear beam. Over winter I will be getting the middles machined out but this may just be an issue for me.

You can only get shims for the rear and camber adjustment from the front is best via Eibach camber bolts :)

Edit: I run 1 degree shims at the moment so the total rear camber is neg 2.5 degree's. Judging by the wear on my rear tyres I could do with more camber but I will play with this next year. There is no simple answer as it all depends how you load the rear up and I would guess 1 degree will be plenty :)

Clio 172
Cheers James, So where do I get camber bolts from? I think having more camber will definatly help the car corner and as thats where I need to keep the speed I've gained a bit more will give me more grip and hopefully more corner speed.

182cup & 172 racecar
Andy, you will need to get the checked over first,as both sides may not be the same to start with. Then go from there.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Andy, you will need to get the checked over first,as both sides may not be the same to start with. Then go from there.

Yeah they vary a lot more than they should so you need to know your actually starting point not what the book said it should be.

Yeah tis very true!

Fred and I laughed at mine when it came back from geo as it was -2.49 degree's camber one side and -2.51 degree's camber the other side. Along with the toe been bang on too! He said he's never seen such a straight rear beam we thought the machine was lying :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
On the mk1 clios it's not possible to shim because of how the beam is constructed so its a lottery if you get a decent one or not.

Clio 172
So I need to go and get a 4 wheel alignment test first? I'll ask at work see if the bodyshop can do it for me and then go from there. Just had a look at the link for the bolts James, where the hell do they go? This is looking way too technical for me already lol.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I have some gathering dust, obviously used but still functioning.

Really all cars should have alignment checked when lowering anyway..

i take it after fitting the camber shims, allignment will need to be done again like when fitting camber bolts on front? or not?

182cup & 172 racecar
More important to get it done first, so you know what you have got, and what you will need, to get to where you want to be.

​Both sides might be different.

cheers tony, how far out are they normally? or what descrepancy is allowed? before you see if something is bent etc. coz even if one is 0.3 degrees more camber than other side, how dod you level it back out? custom shims?

my allighn ment is going to be done tonight, so i'll post up what im currently at

Heres where its at currently. How would you do it for fast road...and the rear camber...do i just stick a shim on one side to try and level it out? I dont have a clue about geo :(

IMG-20130731-WA0008_zpsd03c3d1b.jpg

182cup & 172 racecar
I'd leave it as it is, seen much worse than that.
​Just need to get the toe on the front sorted out, which will give you about 1 each side (1.6 actually)

Anakin

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi TT RS Clio 182
I have 1 10' shim in to correct the toe at the rear, could I stack another to add camber or can you only use 1 per side?