ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car won't start dash lightsup w/out key!!

172 Exclusive... For Sale
My car won't start, engine doesn't turn when i turn the key but the display lights come on. However the lights on the dash stay on even without the key! New battery a month ago too. I drove it this morning fine.

Anyone??????????

Megane Mk4
Do you hear a 'click' when you turn the key to start?

Have you tried jump starting the car? If it jump starts chances are it might be the starter motor that's gone.

Yes there is a "tuck" and then a prolonged buzzing noise.

So your diagnosis seems to be pretty close in fact, thanks.

BTW, would a starter problem leave my dash lights on after I take the key out??

Megane Mk4
Starter motors are about £60 with an exchange on yours.
If it was the starter motor, the car internal electrics would work normally,(provided the battery is fine) I've not come across a fault personally that keeps the dash lit after the keys removed. :eek:

If you can get the car to start, I'd suggest taking it to Renault for a diagnostic as their sounds like there maybe another fault somewhere else.

BTW, my exhaust light has been on for a weeks, could it be due to this? *cries*

Warning light for monitoring exhaust gas. Looks like a side view of a helicopter.

I did this diagnostic:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=109201

I get Code: t--h

t mean an injection fault has been detected for a minimum of 4 seconds

h means an oil level sensor fault has been detected. Resistance from the sensor should be between 6 and 20 Ohms. Any reading over 20Ohms is an open cicuit anything under 3 is a short circuit.

Whether this is the cause or a symtom I'm not sure...