ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing car difficulties...

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Wasn't certain where to put this - it's selling/tax/insurance.

I currently own a 1.2 Clio, my current insurance policy with Adrian Flux runs out on the 30th March. I'm planning on changing car to a 182 in the very near future.

Now this is all getting a bit confusing what with cars either needing to be taxed & insured or SORN'd. To sell my current car I'm gonna need it taxed & insured for the buyer to be able to test drive it and take it away. If I didn't manage to sell it before the 30th, I'd have to insure it again or SORN it, but I'll have to insure it otherwise I won't be able to sell it. Now, given the massive variations with insurance prices - I don't want to insure my 1.2 again and then switch car on that policy as I'll probably pay far more than I would getting a policy catered to the 182. So what would my options be? Can I insure with a company and then cancel the policy once the 1.2 has sold? To do so, do I need to pay my policy in a certain way? (instalments rather than paid in full?)

If I do so; I'd have to SORN the 182 I'd bought? because I wouldn't be able to insure it until the 1.2 sold. I don't want to sell my 1.2 until I have a car bought; so I can't start selling my 1.2 right now. Ideally I'd sell the 1.2 as of now and get it sold before the 30th and then there would be no problem - but I don't want to rush the sale and accept a lower amount, and I also can't guarantee when I'll have a new car so I can sell the 1.2.

Sorry if that's all a bit confusing - it's hard for me to quite understand myself, but any advice is hugely appreciated, I hope I'm missing something really obvious.

The DVLA won't hunt you down because your car isn't taxed and insured for a short period of time so there is no need to SORN either of them if the insurance runs out.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Really? I thought it would all be automated, and the second a car pops up on database that has tax but doesn't have insurance they would send you a letter? Given they can view whether a car is both taxed/insured.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
Also most insurance companies will cover you on both short term if asked I just aphad to do the same. Admiral didn't charge me anything to have both bmws insured for the week.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
It's a daft rule that is supposed to stop people driving uninsured - but all it does is hinder 'right-doers' like yourself who have no interest in stealing cars or avoiding buying correct insurance.

Good luck ! :-/

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Also, I seem to remeber someone on here recently mentioning they got a retrospective fine a few years later because they didn't insure the new car they bought from the day they took ownership, will I be fine not insuring the new car straight away? It'll only be a few days after.