ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chips

LY R27

Hi all,

If I fit a chip to my car, can it be removed if anything goes wrong with my engine (which Renault will sort under warranty). Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this subject ;)

Clio 200 FF

you want a fish with that ;)

i think most chips are soldered into the ecu, some cars use a piggy back version which can be unplugged though - depends on make

you can with a unichip not with a superchip ( would not touch superchips thats just me) unichip is dearer though but worth it.

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Cups can have the ECU remapped so no physical evidence.

Craigy...whats wrong with Superchips?? Mines now 180bhp!! Its a well known phenomenom that Cups push out far more than normal 172s so Superchipped..?????

Lionel Richie

Superchip cant be traced by a Renault dealer or insurance company cos its a remaped programme as Chris says, no physical chip

superchips are a programmed chip based on a 172 not your car unichip is customised on your car if you have a superchip fitted that could be based on a car with no mods and you might have mods so therefor is wrong, the bloke that done my superchip says he would not touch them either unichip is far better. that my view but oh what if you make another mod to your car, you will have to get another chip unichip just take it back in.

people have different views, if they want a superchip then do it but its not my choice sorry.

Depends on car and the power you want. In my Fiesta a stage 0 (165) superchip was fine for allowing the boost to be upped from 7psi {past the 10psi limit on the ECU} to 14psi - basically all it did was remove the boost limit - nowt else. Then got it set up on the rolling road. Went from 133bhp to 165bhp.

To go higher than that, the Stage 1 superchip (195) was useless as it wasnt programmable - most of the guys use Unichips instead which can be set up especially for your car!

I havent seen any positive reports on a superchip for my williams and superchips reply to my e-mail hasnt sold me. I may e-mail uni chips as craigy172s power increase is very good

i had my old fiat 20v super chipped with no probs at all and thats after 3 years,but the superchip is for a standerd car not a modded one,i was so happy with the supperchip im having my 172 done very soon

I thought the the superchip for the 172s was an ECU remap done on a rolling road, which means it would be setup to your car and would take advantage of whatever mods you had. I beleive Roamer had this done.

LY R27

I intend on keeping my car standard (a part from the chip), so a superchip is more suitable?

If so how much could it cost and what increase in power would I expect?

Bye the way thanks for all you help so far! :D

Well I think the superchips are mostly if not all plug in so the are easier to take out but I dont know the effects of this. All I have to go on was my last car but it was turbod. You coulndn just take the chip out as the fueling etc was set up specifically for it and a raised boost. On a N/A i assume you could just take it out but your best to check on that - just e-mail superchips.

Nissan R35 GT-R

If its a new ECU you can swap them in and out easily. My old ECU has 4 screws (to hold it in place) and two plugs - simple.

Piggyback ECUs are a little more tricky I suppose.