ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning Painted Wheels....

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
With warm water obviously!! But as I had a reckless moment I painted my wheels bright orange (and love them!) but they don't half get dirty, especially the fronts from the brake dust. As they were painted professionally (by me with aerosol cans in my garden!) I am sure they are prone to wearing out, although I did lacquer them. They are just fading, especially in the corners where it was really hard to get paint into without causing runs on the front faces of the spokes, and also hard to clean. Does anyone use like a wheel cleaner on their painted wheels? I know they can be quite harsh on paint work.

The wheels will be powder coated in the near future as I cannot get enough of the colour!

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
May as well wait until you get them professionally power coated and then seal them with C5. Before that, it sounds like you'll be fighting a loosing battle.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Generally speaking, if you left the lacquer to cure for long enough, using a wheel cleaner should be fine.

It does depend upon the quality of the paint job.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Mine were never right when I painted them myself. I think the paint and lacquer was too thin and the brake dust just baked right onto the paint.

Get them done properly and seal them, cleaning is so much easier when the wheels are sealed

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Wheels were left to stand for a few days after the lacquer was put on, paint was also put on quite thick (more than a tin of aerosol per wheel), but it was the bits where it was hard to get the paint which is the areas I am concerned about.

If the general consensus is it will be ok if they are laqured then I will use a wheel cleaner. If it goes wrong then it is an excuse to powder coat them! haha!

Once done I will seal them like a boss.

Wheels were left to stand for a few days after the lacquer was put on, paint was also put on quite thick (more than a tin of aerosol per wheel), but it was the bits where it was hard to get the paint which is the areas I am concerned about.

If the general consensus is it will be ok if they are laqured then I will use a wheel cleaner. If it goes wrong then it is an excuse to powder coat them! haha!

Once done I will seal them like a boss.
With Mint Rims ;)

http://shop.autofinesse.co.uk/mint-rims-100ml

I'd put C5 on them, I had them on my Clio wheels and it lasted for over 2 years, not only did they look good but it made cleaning them piss easy!

It's all in the prep though, so expect to put a good few hours into cleaning the surface fully before applying.